PDA

View Full Version : is this a better 22 handgun?

koiloco
01-09-2007, 8:34 PM
Hi guys,
I am trying to decide which one would be better to own.

Beretta 87
http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

or smith & wesson 41
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14739&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15710&isFirearm=Y

Please give me your input. $ is not a factor here, but of course I would want what I pay for is worth its price.

Thx

Trader Jack
01-09-2007, 8:50 PM
In this case the Smith and Wesson is far and away the better pistol in every way EXCEPT for compactness.

Hitman
01-09-2007, 8:58 PM
don't like the sig trailside?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/ar15hitman/SIG/97fbe691.jpg

koiloco
01-09-2007, 9:10 PM
don't like the sig trailside?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/ar15hitman/SIG/97fbe691.jpg

where can I get one of those trailside?
The one I see at the store is a plain, cheap looking pistol :eek:

jellyb
01-09-2007, 9:40 PM
I have never shot the Beretta 87. Between the S&W 41 and the Trailside, I would take the 41. In my opinion it is one of the best 22's made.

kilword
01-09-2007, 9:52 PM
browning buckmark....nuff said
200th post wooo

blkA4alb
01-09-2007, 9:53 PM
Beretta U22 Neos with 6" barrel and Bushnell red dot :cool: (crappy picture.)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/blkA4alb/PICT0001.jpg

gunrun45
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
What's wrong with a Ruger hunter mark III? Or a good old used Ruger 22 standard auto? GREAT guns IMO.
Of the 2 you have posted I would go for the Berretta. I'm a M series kinda guy though.

OldWestGambler
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM
The problem with the Ruger is you can't take them apart and if you do, odds are good you'll be paying someone to put it back together. The guys at Turner's were telling me about guys with recently purchase Ruger's coming in with a bag of parts asking for help on putting it back together.

The Smith is nice. The Beretta is OK. Kimber makes a nice 1911 in a 22. and it's only $700. I personally would go with the S&W or P22.

pnkssbtz
01-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I have a SW Mk41.

I LOVE the gun.

I grew up shooting a friend of the families and I had to go and get my own.

About 20k rounds through mine (bought it used from a friend who was getting out of shooting) and it still is incredibly accurate.

Coastey
01-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Grew up shooting the S&W 41. It's a great gun. But also have a P22 to knock around with when I don't want to scratch up my 41.

brassburnz
01-09-2007, 11:32 PM
The Model 41 has a cult following, especiall for the older guns. Some say recent production isn't up to the standards of "the good ole days" but I've yet to actually see it.

If you like the feel of the Beretta grip frame because you already have a 92, 96 series gun, then go for it. However, if you're looking for a super accurate gun, there are a ton of choices out there.

There are tricked out Trailsides from Larry's Guns. Guys I shoot with have Hammerli and Pardini pistols.(4 figure price tages) I like the feel of 1911's, so I have .22 conversions with dedicated lowers. Marvel, Day 30X (out of production), and I just ordered a Target Model from Advantage Arms.

Randy
NRA Life Member

Hi guys,
I am trying to decide which one would be better to own.

Beretta 87
http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

or smith & wesson 41
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14739&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15710&isFirearm=Y

Please give me your input. $ is not a factor here, but of course I would want what I pay for is worth its price.

Thx

koiloco
01-09-2007, 11:34 PM
What's wrong with a Ruger hunter mark III? Or a good old used Ruger 22 standard auto? GREAT guns IMO.
Of the 2 you have posted I would go for the Berretta. I'm a M series kinda guy though.

I already have the Ruger hunter mark III. I do like its performance but somehow still not fond of the design and overall look. Just want to get something a notch up from that. From what I have heard the SW 41 is as good as it gets. That's why I am asking for you guys' inputs.

Regarding the Kimber 1911 in 22, I already have a conversion kit for my wilson combat classic.

50ae
01-10-2007, 1:16 AM
Ahhhm, BS. While the Ruger is not as easy as putting together an M9 it can be done with just a little reading of the instructions. Maybe Turners ought to show the guys how to field strip and reassemble them when they sell them if the people don't know how.

The problem with the Ruger is you can't take them apart and if you do, odds are good you'll be paying someone to put it back together. The guys at Turner's were telling me about guys with recently purchase Ruger's coming in with a bag of parts asking for help on putting it back together.

modenar1
01-10-2007, 10:23 AM
i dont know about the beretta and smith, but ive shot a ruger mk2, loved it so much, i waited until i was able to track an NIB Mk2. it is currently being sent to my ffl, awaiting to be registered.

50ae
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a slab side MKII with Volquortson grips and just love it. I also have a bare bones blue MKI which is a blast to shoot also.

zefflyn
01-10-2007, 2:01 PM
The Beretta is nice, because it's practically the only firearm in its class with a smaller grip size. I wound up selling mine, though, because it was too finicky with ammo.

The 41 is a buttload of money for not that much more of a better gun.

The Trailside is an "exempt" olympic pistol, so you can search auction and online sites and bring one it. Sig stopped importing them in favor of the Mosquito, so grab one while you can.

Kruzr
01-10-2007, 2:32 PM

Maybe it's time for people to stop listening to "the guys at Turner's." I recently tapped a pretravel screw into my Ruger trigger. I got to where I could detail strip it, not just field strip it, but fully remove the action to adjust the screw and put it back together in a few minutes. It isn't that hard if you take the time to understand how the gun works.

Field stripping and assembly is simple if you just follow the instructions to the letter (most people skip one of the most important steps.)

I'd go for the Model 41 over the Beretta.

saki302
01-10-2007, 3:02 PM
I think the M41 is not just a better feeling pistol than the 87, it is also a firearm work of art. With one in each hand, you can't really compare the two.

As far as Hammerli or Pardini type uber-richguy pistols go, you can't really compare those to a M41 either- they will be more accurate, and have that upper crusty fine watch-like feel to them (have to fire one to understand).

It all depends how much you're willing to pay.

A Ruger Mk2 is easy to disassemble once you get the knack for it IMO, and is one of the better values around. With a tuned trigger and smoothed action, it will shoot with a M41 or Ber. 87 easily, it'll just lack the fanciness or features.

If you can find one, pick up a Hi-Standard Supermatic (M107). It's got a dang near olympic pistol trigger, Nil makes an adjustable target grip for it, and it has quick change barrels which are every bit as accurate (or more so) than a M41.

Depending on the pistol, you'll have to shoot different loads to see what it 'likes'. My supermatic only likes the fancier ammo, or HV ammo- it chokes on cheap remington, while my Mk2 will eat it all day long, and shoot decent fun groups with it.

-Dave