PDA

View Full Version : Temperature dangerous to store gun powder?

cpatbay
07-25-2011, 3:40 PM
I know a good number of us do reloading in the garage and the temperature in the garage can get toasty in the height of summer. What is considered dangerously high temperature to store gun powder, primers, and ammo?

22popnsplat
07-25-2011, 4:15 PM
I have powder that i have stored for a good number of years in the garage and there fine , i have would think moisture would be more of a concern.

XDRoX
07-25-2011, 4:37 PM
Unless your garage gets to 800 degrees F you're fine. And unless you live in a pineapple under the sea, humidity will probably also not be a problem.

bill_k_lopez
07-25-2011, 4:39 PM
Black powder spontaneously ignites at around 600 degrees Fahrenheit.

Single Base Smokeless Powder will spontaneously ignite around 932 degrees Fahrenheit.

Primers will spontaneously ignite between 350 and 475 degrees depending on what they are made of.

Unless your garage is set up like a conventional oven,you should be ok.

mattmcg
07-25-2011, 4:47 PM
The typical warning labels on smokeless powder only specify to keep it away from a heat source, open flame, or sparks and to store it in a cool, dry place.

You would need to have temperatures well in excess of what you experience anywhere in a residence to cause an issue.

If you store them away from an ignition source and keep them in their plastic bottles, you're good to go.

Divernhunter
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
"Plastic bottle"? What about the powder that is in the original metal can or cardboard container??---------------Just being a smart ***.

MarkInFolsom
07-26-2011, 5:30 PM
"Plastic bottle"? What about the powder that is in the original metal can or cardboard container??---------------Just being a smart ***.

Well, smart *** or not, I'd be curious about this because I have some Unique, Red Dot, and H110 in these types of containers that date back to the '80s. Planning on getting back into reloading soon. Should I just dump it?

Jonathan Doe
07-26-2011, 5:35 PM
The problem I heard is that when the temperature changes frequently and the powder deteriorating. That is not a good thing. I store my powders in my closet where it is pretty cool all the time. When my metal can rusts, I dump powder on my lawn.

Revoman
07-26-2011, 8:06 PM
Powder generally lasts for quite some time. I have a few canisters from the late 70' and there is no signs of deterioration at all, not even a acid odor or redness to the powder.

They are stored in my garage high on a shelf, my garage sees temps of ~100+ during the summer with no ill effects yet.

I'm not saying that is the proper way to store powder, but I have had no issues with mine.

xrMike
07-27-2011, 2:58 PM
I don't put powder or primers in the garage for that reason (it gets too hot in the summer). They go on the floor of the closet in a spare room next to the garage.

Jimmy310
07-27-2011, 5:25 PM
Well, smart *** or not, I'd be curious about this because I have some Unique, Red Dot, and H110 in these types of containers that date back to the '80s. Planning on getting back into reloading soon. Should I just dump it?

Ya, you need to get rid of them. Tell you what, you send them to me and i'll dispose of them for you! I wont even charge you an environmental fee. :)

JTROKS
07-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Although your gunpowder makes great fertilizer you should just inspect it for any deterioration signs: Deteriorating smokeless powders produce an acidic odor and may
produce a reddish brown fume. (Don’t confuse this with common
solvent odors such as alcohol, ether and acetone.) If it is still shiny/black/gray and you don't see any oily fluids then you should be OK. Start with the lowest load data and work your way up. I have gunpowder from the early 90s that's been stored in the garage, some have traveled to Utah and back. It is still produces velocities within the listed load tables.

Sonnypie
07-28-2011, 1:23 PM
Shooot...
I have a bunch of ammo that was loaded in 1934. About 1500 rounds left of the original.
I recently pulled the bullets and reworked it to change out the mercuric primers.
Then reloaded as to what they were before I removed them.
The powder is still excellent and has been stored in it's original FA34 boxes in it's original wooden case for decades and decades.
Lord only knows how hot it has ever been. It's been moved around a bit.
Good to go, even for antique ammo, such as it are.
Now it lives in my safe. In a cool, dry, place.
The powder is IMR4895, near as Dad and I could tell.
It's 16 years older than me, and still shoots better. :p

semperfidelis354
07-30-2011, 4:21 AM
You dump your old Powder on the lawn???? Never heard of that