PDA

View Full Version : TMJ, FMJ, Plated

Craigwood
07-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Do you regard a plated bullet like from Berry's Bullets somewhat like a TMJ or FMJ. I dont want to confuse it JHP. The plated are just what they are. Its basically a lead bullet with a thin electro copper coating. I've heard that the Copper Plated are loaded midpoint of a Lead Bullet equivallant. I have loaded the Plated at a low point data of the same weight as the TMJ counterpart for pistol rounds of 9mm or 45ACP, 40 cal, etc.

Briancnelson
07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
The stuff I read says to treat them somewhere in between a lead and an FMJ. I've loaded them about the same way you do with good results.

Craigwood
07-16-2011, 12:35 PM
The stuff I read says to treat them somewhere in between a lead and an FMJ. I've loaded them about the same way you do with good results.

Good to know because I really see no data for Plated. Its either FMJ, JHP, or Lead

XDRoX
07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Plated fall in between jacketed and lead. They sometimes say to use lead data just to be safe because lead usually takes less powder.

The plating on Plated bullets are being made a lot thicker than just a few years ago. Especially Berry's. I have done lots of chrono work with berry's bullets and in reality they fall closer to jacketed data than lead.

You should never take them to super fast speeds as the plating could rip off.

All in all, like with any reloading just start low or mid range and work up the load and you'll be safe. Without a chronograph you're really shooting in the dark. So if you know anyone that has one definitely use it.

Craigwood
07-16-2011, 1:53 PM
Plated fall in between jacketed and lead. They sometimes say to use lead data just to be safe because lead usually takes less powder.

The plating on Plated bullets are being made a lot thicker than just a few years ago. Especially Berry's. I have done lots of chrono work with berry's bullets and in reality they fall closer to jacketed data than lead.

You should never take them to super fast speeds as the plating could rip off.

All in all, like with any reloading just start low or mid range and work up the load and you'll be safe. Without a chronograph you're really shooting in the dark. So if you know anyone that has one definitely use it.

Great help Drox. Thanks. Whether they are jacketed or lead or plated for that matter I have never gone above the midway point. Wish I had a chrono. I should invest in one. I have at least one of everything else.