PDA

View Full Version : What's the impact/ramification of a short case?

Buddhabelly
07-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I bought some mixed headstamped cases in 9mm. Once fired, cleaned and pretumbled. They all look good, except I found a fair percentage of them to be short. Some are as much as .735" long rather than the normal .754" for 9mm Luger.

I don't think that it's significantly impacting the performance, or safety, of the round. After all, COAL is consistent because I control it. And relative internal cylindrical chamber is consistent because it's measured from the bottom of the bullet to the inside surface of the bottom of the case.

Divernhunter
07-02-2011, 12:45 PM
If they shoot fine I would not sweat it.

XDRoX
07-02-2011, 4:30 PM
Probably won't hurt to shoot them, but it does make me wonder why they are short? Probably someone trimmed them, and why would anyone trim 9mm:confused: If anything they should be longer than .754" do to already being shot.

Some guys trim 9mm down to 9x18 to shoot it as 9mm Mak, but 18mm is around .713" I believe. It wouldn't be a good idea to shoot Mak in a 9x19mm Parabellum.

Weird though, but then again I don't think I've ever measured any of my 9mm cases, so maybe some of mine are short as well:D

ireload
07-02-2011, 5:07 PM
You'll be ok. By the way what brand or headstamp are the short cases?