PDA

View Full Version : When do you toss your brass?

semperfidelis354
06-30-2011, 8:54 PM
So as I am still new to reloading I want to know what the signs are for tossing your brass? When is a dimple too large? What are the signs of stress marks yOur looking for etc? Every little bit helps and could potentially save a new hand loader his well... Hand lol.

Pics from your discard pile is appreciated and wanted very much. I'm a visual learner :). Thanks for the help!

joelogic
06-30-2011, 9:13 PM
I usually lose brass before the end of its service life. But when a primer seats way too easily I usually kick it out.

kurac
06-30-2011, 9:40 PM
A lot of my brass is self tossing (it gets lost at the range) the rest of it normally will get loose primer pockets and then will get tossed manually.

Anything with neck splits or bulges in the wrong places gets tossed as well.

I am more worred about rifle brass than pistol brass so I always take a close look after tumbling. Sometimes they just split on you for no reason.

iareConfusE
06-30-2011, 11:08 PM
I shoot em til they crack.

Whiterabbit
06-30-2011, 11:17 PM
dimples get ironed out during the unloading process.

Kokopelli
07-01-2011, 5:54 AM
Dimples and small dents are fine. Deep scratches and gouges get tossed. Also anything on the neck that looks like it could develop into a split when fired.

Out of 300 7.62X39 once fired brass, I tossed 10 yesterday.

huckberry668
07-01-2011, 9:08 AM
Good points on the primer pocket thing. you'll see smoke coming out if you get one of those and sometimes the primer pops out and jams up the action.

pistol brass is easy to spot. toss when you see case mouth split or cracks anywhere. I toss them when the rim gets raggedy or chewed up by extractors.

there is more to rifle brass tho. the mouth split is easy to spot but case head separation sometimes isnt' so easy to see till it's too late. you can usually see a faint stretch mark line around 3/8" to 1/2" above the extractor groove on a 308. i toss them if i see that.

you can use a dental pick or bend a piece of thick steel wire about 3/8" on one end and sharpen that end. use the sharp end to feel how deep that stretch line is from the inside of the brass. toss it if it feels deep or the pointy end 'sticks' in the groove.

i'll try to get some 'case head separation' pictures if you need.

Full Clip
07-01-2011, 9:58 AM
I toss it as soon as I realize it's Berdan primed!
J/k

semperfidelis354
07-01-2011, 3:26 PM
i'll try to get some 'case head separation' pictures if you need.

That would be great I know of head separating but have never seen it so I'm not sure what it looks like

All Nav
07-01-2011, 6:39 PM
Handgun-when it shows definite signs of fatigue or separation; for rifle, my target brass never gets loaded more than a dozen times.

CALI SHOT DOC
07-01-2011, 8:43 PM
when i see fatigue, cracks, or don't feel safe/confident in the casing when i pick it up to load

Inkman
07-01-2011, 8:52 PM
When i shoot at RRGC or any big match. It always gets left on the ground.

Al

Chief-7700
07-01-2011, 9:08 PM
.45ACP when they split, or I lose them, or when I can't read the headstamp anymore.

huckberry668
07-01-2011, 10:23 PM
That would be great I know of head separating but have never seen it so I'm not sure what it looks like

As you wish. These are shot out of an over sized chamber that ultimately caused the separation. They are also loaded 3 times. 308Win

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa83/huckster357/IMG_9794-1.jpg

Jonathan Doe
07-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I usually discard the brass after 7 reloads or so, and never go beyond 10 reloads for rifles. Brass is cheap enough and I have plenty that I do not want to deal with a problem down the line. Discard before there is a problem is my thought.

semperfidelis354
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
As you wish. These are shot out of an over sized chamber that ultimately caused the separation. They are also loaded 3 times. 308Win

Wow that's interesting. Is this an extreme case? Or will most case head separations look like this?

huckberry668
07-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Wow that's interesting. Is this an extreme case? Or will most case head separations look like this?

It'll happen when it's loaded enough times. the separated head you see is the area that's not supported by the chamber. it will break from there.

Most of you know every time you resize a brass it grows a little longer. where do you think the material comes from? resizing just stretches the brass. the portion of the brass that's not supported by chamber or sizing die is the 'head' and it's where it stretches, gets thin and eventually break/separate.

But with careful inspection, you can 'see' lighter color stretch mark where the black line is on the bottom brass. Toss it when you see it.

coyotebait
07-02-2011, 7:59 AM
If by dimples you mean small dents, then you're fine. If you see DEEP dents and/or "creases" then toss 'em.

toby
07-02-2011, 8:29 AM

This could also just be that the case shoulders were set back too far a couple of times, and not an oversized chamber at all. When I first started shooting Ackley improved cartridges I ran in to this alot...till I figuerd it out with the help of others.

huckberry668
07-02-2011, 2:46 PM
In my case it was the over sized chamber because I set the headspace at .000". You're talking about excessi e headspacing. It'd cause case head separation too.