PDA

View Full Version : Putting an OLL together?

MrLogan
12-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey, all. Does anyone know of a gunsmith/someone in the San Gabriel Valley who can help me put my OLL together? Need help! Much appreciated. :D

Guinness
12-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Its all right here..

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Easy diagrams..

kap
12-22-2006, 10:57 PM
It is really not that hard to do yourself. Just follow these instructions and you will be fine.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

EDIT: Aw, beat by Guinness.

azndmd
12-22-2006, 10:58 PM
try taking a look at this from ar15.com. good step by step photos.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Aw, beat by Guinness & kap.

Guinness
12-22-2006, 11:05 PM
It is really not that hard to do yourself. Just follow these instructions and you will be fine.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

EDIT: Aw, beat by Guinness.

Sorry, gotta be quick! :D

pklin1297
12-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Is 1 hour quck enough? That's how much time you "might" need if you are doing it for the first time, and assuming you have tools.

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Is 1 hour quck enough? That's how much time you "might" need if you are doing it for the first time, and assuming you have tools.

1 hour is way more than enought time. Read this thread, it'll tell you what tools you'll need, and additional good tips.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=44365&highlight=ziplock

hoffmang
12-23-2006, 10:48 AM
There are only two somewhat challenging steps. Getting the bolt catch pin in if you don't use the vice grip idea above can take a little effort because you don't want to mar the receiver.

Getting the forward pin detent and spring in is often the most time consuming. As someone else here said, the very first thing an AR will fire is the detent pin across the room. Everything else in the build is very straightforward. Some people get very lucky or have the touch for both of the hard steps.

-Gene

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Getting the forward pin detent and spring in is often the most time consuming. As someone else here said, the very first thing an AR will fire is the detent pin across the room.

Thank GOD for plastic bags....:D

mltrading
12-23-2006, 10:54 AM
If you can go on-line and find this forum, you are eligible to put any OLL together. It's darn easy.:)

fguerra
12-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Thank GOD for plastic bags....:D

+1000000000000:D

crazyXgerman
12-23-2006, 5:00 PM
i just built my first OLL AR using the instructions from AR15.com and while it took me several hours (ok, i'm cautious and meticulous) it all worked out just fine. didn't need any special tools and the instructions were great.

give it a try, it's a lot of fun, you learn about your rifle in the process, save yourself the money, and chances are after doing one you'll look forward to building another one.

if you run into a problem, you can always take a break and post here with a question. you'll get a helpful answer in no time.

cornholio1
12-23-2006, 5:04 PM
i just built my first OLL AR using the instructions from AR15.com and while it took me several hours (ok, i'm cautious and meticulous) it all worked out just fine. didn't need any special tools and the instructions were great.

give it a try, it's a lot of fun, you learn about your rifle in the process, save yourself the money, and chances are after doing one you'll look forward to building another one.

if you run into a problem, you can always take a break and post here with a question. you'll get a helpful answer in no time.

Just use a good LPK kit and vise grips. No need for punches.

Scarecrow Repair
12-23-2006, 5:23 PM
The only tools you might not have are punches with the concave tips, that helps with roll pins. I think 1/8" is the size. A soft small hammer would be my next guess. Needle nose pliers, you probably already have them.

If you can put batteries in a flashlight and not get them backwards, you can put together a lower. Worst case a couple of hours, if you really sweat it, and your second will go together in half an hour.

Let me illustrate what a mechanical klutz I am, and it still only took an hour for my first one. I had ordered the RRA two stage trigger LPK and grabbed a spare Prince50 mag lock kit from home. Unfortunately, I grabbed the Prince50 bag into which I had thrown all the leftovers from the others, meaning I had no mag lock and did not want to put on the pistol grip with a detachable magazine. Being tidy, I screwed the pistol grip screw in place just so as not to lose it. When it came to put the trigger in, it would not lie flat, the safety would not go in after, I had to put the safety in first and trigger second, and once I had the trigger and hammer in, I found that once cocked, the trigger would not fire, the safety waggled loosely around the fire position, and the only way to uncock the hammer was to knock out both pins and remove both hammer and trigger.

It took someone else to notice that the pistol grip screw had protruded into the trigger area because there was no pistol grip to keep it out. Once I backed the screw out a few turns, everyting was fine.

So if that sounds like you, you can put a lower together too :-)

Mag_Rat
12-23-2006, 5:37 PM
It's real easy I even did it! I took 45 mins to build my first one and a week to build my 2nd one( I lost the bolt catch spring so I had to get a a new one.).

Rumpled
12-23-2006, 6:06 PM
The one I just finished took the second half of a monday night football game, and a couple of barley pops. Took it nice and slow and I watched a good portion of the game also.
I got some good punches and found them very helpful, as was a large ziplock bag (note to self, the blue ones are kinda hard to see thru).
My LPK was from RBPrecision. All parts were seperated in ziplocks by assembly, that made it easier to tell this spring from that spring. They also include an extra spring and detent for the takedown pins.

Everything seems to function just fine, though haven't been to the range yet.

It's just beyond screwing in a light bulb difficult.

Michael303
12-23-2006, 6:13 PM
Like said above, it takes about an hour your first time. The hardest part is adding the detents. A good trick I’ve found: when inserting your detents, do it inside a cardboard box to keep it from flying across the room. That, or spend the five bucks for the detent tool from MidwayUSA, I’m told that takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

DedEye
12-24-2006, 12:54 AM
What if we don't have access to vice grips? Are there any other options, such as having a friend hold the receiver for us :D?

Thrillbilly
12-24-2006, 4:11 AM
What if we don't have access to vice grips? Are there any other options, such as having a friend hold the receiver for us :D?

What is funny is I actually did it that way :D

PIRATE14
12-24-2006, 8:35 AM
Just use a good LPK kit and vise grips. No need for punches.

Get the punches.......

Fjold
12-24-2006, 8:38 AM
Get the punches.......

I used vice grips on my last build and found that the teeth on the vise grips cut through the 3 layers of tap on the jaws and scratched one ear on the bolt release.

I've used punches ($5) for all the other builds.