PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Setting Up Reloading Press

mydogsmonkey
06-18-2011, 9:23 PM
Hello, I got a reloading set following the guideline Randall has set and I'm a bit confused as to how to set the resizing die. I read you let the press touch the die without a shell and then turn it in 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I don't understand how to set the upper portion of the Redding Type S Resizing Die. Also help in using the precision mic as well as the seating die would help me out. Thanks!

If you're local and willing to help me out, some beers may be in it for you. Let me know, thanks!

Ernest

rdmmdr
06-18-2011, 9:27 PM
resizing die is touching plus half to 3/4 turn so you can feel the ram links cam over. the center pin is set to about 3/8 of the decapping pin exposed.

mydogsmonkey
06-18-2011, 9:29 PM
resizing die is touching plus half to 3/4 turn so you can feel the ram links cam over. the center pin is set to about 3/8 of the decapping pin exposed.

so am I safe to assume that the "match" portion of this die set is more associated with the bullet seating die? and that this will just properly resize my brass? I'm confused since I hear that I'm supposed to try and size it to my chamber where it will be with the least amount of tolerance between the brass and my chamber walls.

G-forceJunkie
06-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Only if you planning of fully resizing your brass. With match dies, I'm assuming your reloading for accuracy. There in no need to size the brass down more than a few thousands over what it needs to chamber. Just push the shoulder back a couple of thou. and lock the died down there. No need to overwork the brass with unnecessarly making it undersize every time.resizing die is touching plus half to 3/4 turn so you can feel the ram links cam over. the center pin is set to about 3/8 of the decapping pin exposed.

huckberry668
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Sizing the brass to a few.001" short of your chamber will require a set of headspace gauges to measure the case and adjust the die with. You'll need to deprime a case, measure the shoulder to head length and size it to .001" to .002" shorter and you're good to go. check this one out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-UrMTyJ1_E

Seating the bullet for accuracy requires a little more work and a few more tools but it's worth it when you get .5moa groups.

Where are you in Burbank? I work in Burbank. I can come by to check out your set up and show you a few tools if you'd like. PM me.