PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to buy and store ammo?

mrmojo
06-16-2011, 8:52 PM
Sorry if my questions are dumb but I'm completely new to anything related to guns. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (Contra Costa County) and I'm considering purchasing a handgun soon but I wanted to find out the following first.

1. Is it legal to buy ammunition online and have it shipped to my residence? If yes, is there a limit to how much I can buy?

2. If not, is it legal to buy ammunition from a gun shop or sports store? If yes, is there a limit to how much I can buy?

3. If not, is it legal to buy ammunition from a gun show or range? If I can buy from a range do I need to use it all up at the range or can I take some or all of it home to keep?

4. Is it legal to store ammo in my house? If yes, is there a limit to how much I can legally keep at my home?

Again, sorry if these are stupid questions. I really appreciate any responses anyone can give.

Thanks.

rromeo
06-16-2011, 8:54 PM
Buy as much as you want. Hoard as much as you want.

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2011, 8:55 PM
Unless you have local ordnances against receiving ammo (some cities and counties do), you can order it. Other than that, you can buy it from anywhere and store as much as your wallet and home allow.

safewaysecurity
06-16-2011, 8:56 PM
Buy as much as you want online and hae it shipped to your house and demolish the east side of your house and create a storage facility for all the ammo you are going to get. No limit don't worry.

drifter001
06-16-2011, 8:58 PM
i buy ammo all the time online. you get much more competitive rates than you would at a gun shop/sporting goods store. just be sure to buy a bunch to save on shipping. you can store as much as you want too

WTSGDYBBR
06-16-2011, 8:58 PM
Sorry if my questions are dumb but I'm completely new to anything related to guns. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (Contra Costa County) and I'm considering purchasing a handgun soon but I wanted to find out the following first.

1. Is it legal to buy ammunition online and have it shipped to my residence? If yes, is there a limit to how much I can buy?
Yes as long as they will ship you the ammo. There is no limit

2. If not, is it legal to buy ammunition from a gun shop or sports store? If yes, is there a limit to how much I can buy?
There is no limit on the amount of ammo you can buy

3. If not, is it legal to buy ammunition from a gun show or range? If I can buy from a range do I need to use it all up at the range or can I take some or all of it home to keep?
Yes you can buy ammo from a gun show or range as long as if your of age

4. Is it legal to store ammo in my house? If yes, is there a limit to how much I can legally keep at my home?
Yes it is 100% legal there is no amount or law that limits you the amount of ammo

Again, sorry if these are stupid questions. I really appreciate any responses anyone can give.

Thanks.

I hope this is what your looking for buying ammo is like buying hamburgers at Mc Donalds as many you can afford to buy they will sell to you even if it kills you.

mrmojo
06-16-2011, 9:03 PM
Thank you all very much for your quick responses.... this really helps to clear it up.

The reason I had these questions is that someone had told me that it was not possible to buy ammo online in California because online sites like Midway USA don't sall or ship ammo to California, so I wasn't sure.

Can anyone recommend a good website to buy ammo from?

Thanks again guys! This website rocks!

Locxster
06-16-2011, 9:14 PM
ammoengine.com is very useful for comparing ammo prices, and the sites they link to are all legitimate.

mrmojo
06-16-2011, 9:17 PM
Awesome. Thank you very much, Locxter.

Pandanin
06-16-2011, 9:18 PM
To be perfectly safe I recommend you buy all the ammo you can afford and I'll store it for you at my house. I also recommend you standardize on 40 S&W. :)

Enjoy!

Markus
06-17-2011, 8:19 AM
Midway ships ammo to ca last I checked....

LoneWolf1
06-17-2011, 8:22 AM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo

glock_this
06-17-2011, 8:36 AM
check your local craigslist.. I score ammo all the time off CL from people dumping it to get $$

mif_slim
06-17-2011, 8:46 AM
You can buy as much as you want but you need a license to store them....which I happen to have so...send it right to me and I'll store them for you.

ps: the only catch is I can use your ammo.
;)

But seriously, like most said, you can have as much as you want and you can buy as much as your pay check and credit card allow you to.

Thanks.

GrizzlyGuy
06-17-2011, 8:52 AM
See this section in the FAQ regarding ammo storage: What about ammunition and reloading supplies? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#What_about_ammunition_and_reloading_supplies.3 F)

bruceflinch
06-17-2011, 1:06 PM
Join a Club @ USI in Concord. Get a Member discount at the Range, that is better than the local stores.

When having it shipped, get it @ work or delivered where you know it will be safe. You do not want ammo sitting on the Front porch unattended. I'm in Bay Point, I know.

Cowboy T
06-17-2011, 1:47 PM
Another thing you might consider is reloading your own. This way, not only do you save some money, but you don't ever have to worry about whether the stores have it in stock ever again. It's really about ammunition independence.

The four components are powder, primers, cases (preferably brass), and bullets. I'm not aware of any ordinance in California prohibiting the sale of these items to residences. Plus, it's good insurance when (not if) "AB 962, Reloaded" comes about. They *will* try again.

cpatbay
06-17-2011, 6:26 PM
The reason I had these questions is that someone had told me that it was not possible to buy ammo online in California because online sites like Midway USA don't sall or ship ammo to California, so I wasn't sure.

Can anyone recommend a good website to buy ammo from?

There are certain types of ammo that are illegal in California. Those are the ones online stores like Midwayusa would not ship to you in California. Other than that, anything goes.

I have been buying mine from ammunitiontogo.com. Much better ammo prices than midwayusa.

wizdumb
06-17-2011, 8:00 PM
Another good site with a lot of choices: http://www.luckygunner.com/

coyotebait
06-17-2011, 8:42 PM
ammoengine.com is very useful for comparing ammo prices, and the sites they link to are all legitimate.

I knew I came to this thread for a reason....how did I ever live without ammoengine.com????

Waldog
06-18-2011, 1:47 PM
I do not want to give offense however, you sound like a new handgun owner. If that is the case, I want to welcome you one of the best sports you can participate in; Shooting! All ages, young and old, physically handicapped or not, can enjoy the shooting sports. I finally got my wife to start pistol shooting when she was 55 years old. She commented that she "thought is was really cool that a 55 year old woman could take up a sport to share with her husband and kids". If you are new, I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU TAKE A BASIC NRA HANDGUN COURSE. You will learn the basic safety procedures, what to look for, and how to be aware of others around you that may not be safe in their gun handling. Take a course, you will never regret it.
Welcome!!

scarville
06-18-2011, 2:25 PM
Since I started reloading I don't buy nearly as much ammo as I used to. When I do, I usually buy from either ammoman.com or ammunitiontogo.com. The first usually has a little better price but the second has better availability.

CGK60
06-18-2011, 2:26 PM
Get into reloading and you won't have to worry about buying ammo.

farias4000
06-18-2011, 2:31 PM
Reloading is the way to go. But for home defense buy factory.

srmc
06-18-2011, 2:36 PM
Just keep in mind, if you have more than one firearm and more than 50 rounds of ammunition, the media would consider you to have an "arsenal" and be stockpiling ammo. :) Other than that, check your ordinances regarding ammo sales and you are free to go.

farias4000
06-18-2011, 2:44 PM
I could only imagine a competitive shooter having to deal with media

scarville
06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Just keep in mind, if you have more than one firearm and more than 50 rounds of ammunition, the media would consider you to have an "arsenal" and be stockpiling ammo. :) Other than that, check your ordinances regarding ammo sales and you are free to go.
Don't forget that every reloader can own up to 20 pounds of "explosives" and thousands of "detonators". I would be in real trouble with the media because I also own all the tools and incidental parts needed to assemble the above into super powered, armor piercing, flesh crushing, bone breaking, cop killer ammo. :shock:

NotEnufGarage
06-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Don't forget that every reloader can own up to 20 pounds of "explosives" and thousands of "detonators". I would be in real trouble with the media because I also own all the tools and incidental parts needed to assemble the above into super powered, armor piercing, flesh crushing, bone breaking, cop killer ammo. :shock:

Is there a limit on the amount of powder and primer we're allowed to keep?

If so, can you quote the PC section?

Thanks

Craigwood
06-20-2011, 4:58 PM
Now that we are in the process of talking MRMOJO into reloading. Should we discuss which reloader is the best? I'm sorry. I couldnt resist.

scarville
06-20-2011, 5:45 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1182466&postcount=6

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_much_gunpowder_can_I_store_in_my_home.3F

http://law.onecle.com/california/health/12102.html

AFAIK the is no limit on primers or assembled ammunition.

Some cities may have limits of their own.

Beelzy
06-21-2011, 5:56 AM
Until Google Earth can see your stash from Space, I wouldn't worry about storing lots of ammo.

GrizzlyGuy
06-21-2011, 6:02 AM

Thanks

See here in the FAQ, the answers link to the relevant code sections: What about ammunition and reloading supplies? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#What_about_ammunition_and_reloading_supplies.3 F)

CEDaytonaRydr
06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Is it legal to buy and store ammo?

I really hope so... :o