PDA

View Full Version : Help new to reloading

Crash3110
06-16-2011, 9:39 AM
Hey all ive been buying factory builts and im interested in doing my own reloading. and i was wondering what your opinions were on this single stage press http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081
is it worth it ill be loading 9mm for my glock 17 and .223 for my ar 15. What advice could you give me to help get me started in the right directions

MaHoTex
06-16-2011, 9:43 AM
PERFECT decision to start with.

I did the same thing and was very happy with my decision. This kit does not have everything, but is a huge start. I used this exact kit for 6 or 7 months and then bought a LoadMaster progressive for my 9mm. I still do my .223, .357 and .38 on the single stage.

There will be people coming to chime in soon enough. Some of which will say to stay away form Lee and only go Dillon or RCBS. My opinion: Ignore those posts, go with this kit and get started. It is only $90 and the old statements of you get what your pay for do not apply with this kit. Sure, the scale is not the most accurate, get a different one. The rest of the kit is great.

Crash3110
06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
And what about a trumbler ive read that you dont need them but whats your thoughts i was thinking this one http://www.cabelas.com/tumblers-scales-cabelas-case-tumbler-kit-2.shtml or if i can find a better cheaper one.

Bill Steele
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
That kit will get you started and you will likely have a use for that press for a long time to come, even if you decide you like reloading and want something that will produce more volume down the road.

You will be glad you got a tumbler and some walnut media to run in it.

In addition to the above and the obvious components like powders, primers and bullets, you should get a reloading guide like the Lee Second Edition or the Lyman book and read it through. Understanding what the important parameters are and how they affect the performance and safety of the rounds your produce is critical.

Have fun.

Ukiahgunnut
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
That is a good press to start with. Lee makes good equipment and is reasonably priced. It is your choice as to what press and dies you use. I tumble my brass or buy tumbled brass. I use the RCBS vibrating tumbler on the right side of your page.

Dave

MaHoTex
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
And what about a trumbler ive read that you dont need them but whats your thoughts i was thinking this one http://www.cabelas.com/tumblers-scales-cabelas-case-tumbler-kit-2.shtml or if i can find a better cheaper one.

I would not even consider reloading without a tumbler, but everyone has their own opinion on that.

The one I got was this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=414369

I do not use the Rotary Media Separator. Thing is a joke in my opinion. Bottom line is the one you found is fine. Use walnut shells from a petstore, a bit a polish and call it good.

Mosin Man
06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks pretty sweet, I just started reloading about a month ago and I went with the RCBS route.

I suggest you also purchase some digital calipers and a digital scale, all can be found for under 20bucks on amazon or ebay. I also bought the RCBS vibrating tumbler because I like shiny brass! :)

MaHoTex
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Looks pretty sweet, I just started reloading about a month ago and I went with the RCBS route.

I suggest you also purchase some digital calipers and a digital scale, all can be found for under 20bucks on amazon or ebay. I also bought the RCBS vibrating tumbler because I like shiny brass! :)

Calipers are a must for sure. I did the same thing with the scale. I got one from Midayway or CTD. Not sure which one anymore. Digital is not the most accurate way to go, but it is good enough from my plinking ammo. I still need to pick up a good balance scale, but always seem to find another thing to spend my money on.

LGB Loader
06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I suggest you also purchase some digital (or dial) calipers

way to go, Mosin Man. Excellent advice.

Paper Boy
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
That press is still mounted on my bench, years and thousands of rounds later. Still use it and its perfect to start with. If your looking for digital calipers Harbor Freight usually has a sale on them every few weeks.

Cowboy T
06-16-2011, 1:47 PM
Having used both digital and dial (analog) calipers, I'd suggest the analog. I started with a Frankford Arsenal digital, got sick 'n' tired of running out of batteries all the time, went analog (also Frankford Arsenal) and have been happier since.

As for tricklers, I don't bother with them. Unless you're doing bench-rest competition shooting, a good powder measure is enough. I design my loads so that if if it's within 0.3 grain, it shoots well. Since my powder measure consistently drops within 0.1gr, this works out well.

Even if you should choose to go turret or progressive later on for increased output, that single stage will continue to be useful. My reloading runs are almost always done progressively nowadays, but my cheapie little $30 single-stage still gets used a lot, to this day. In my case, it's for sizing my cast boolits.

damndave
06-16-2011, 1:59 PM
I went with the RCBS RC for my single stage loading (Match 223 and 308) and can't be happier.

I then purchased a Lee Turret Press for loading my 9mm. This thing is awesome! I can punch out approx 175 per hour not rushing at all.

Assuming you have brass, you can load quality 9mm for about $0.10 a round. My Match 223 run about $0.25-0.30, 308 about $0.40.

The items that I would recommend are..

Digital scale
Calipers
Case gage

I have the Cabelas tumbler and it works great. Much quieter than most I have seen.

If you are going to get the Kit, check out exactly what it comes with and it might be better to buy in pieces are there might be parts you will replace.

Good luck reloading, it's addicting.

CGK60
06-18-2011, 3:44 PM
I bought an RCBS single stage about 15 years ago, bought a lee turret about 4 years ago and really like it. A single stage will get the job done though.

stand125
06-18-2011, 6:05 PM
I tumble my Brass, because I get lots of it from the range. I went my first few hundred rounds without a tumbler and just shook the cases in a tupperware container and some walnut shell media to get them clean. They did not come out shiney new like they do now, but they came out plenty clean to reload and shoot and I used the $60.00 that a tumbler would have cost to buy bullets and primers to start with.

IntoForever
06-18-2011, 6:20 PM
Both my presses are Lee and once you dial them in they run flawlessly. I have a progressive for the .45 and a small single for the rest that I bought for $35. Enjoy, read everything and if you don't know, don't make stuff up thinking it will work.

Fyathyrio
06-18-2011, 6:35 PM
You will need a bullet puller for the occasional mistake and for taking dummy rounds apart that you make when setting up dies. They are all pretty much the same, here's one inexpensive example. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=215517) This allows you to take a round apart safely and also recover the components for reuse.