PDA

View Full Version : Question about AR Pmag 10/20

Rexxss98
06-10-2011, 5:15 AM
Sup Guys!

My 10 rounders are getting kinda old and wanted to replace them with some 10/20 Pmags. I've read the post here and elsewhere, and I'm still a little bit confused on whether or not I'm supposed to permanently glue or weld the bottom of the floor plate to my mag.

In my mind if I release the floor plate and the spring +mag block comes off, this turns into a 20 round rebuild kit not a High cap mag?

Maybe I should just stick with some old school 10 rounders.....I miss living in Missouri

dieselpower
06-10-2011, 6:57 AM
Its your call.

Some say the installation of a limiting block on the inside requires disassembly to remove that limiting block and then the re-assembly without the limiting block is the crime (manufacture)...not the fact you have the ability to do that.

Others say the mere fact you have the ability to remove the block is all a DA needs to file charges.

Some say since most LEO read these threads they want to see the floor plate glued shut, because they believe they are the only ones with the authority to be allowed to have the ability to commit a crime... so to please any LEO you may encounter...glue the floor plate.

Some say that you should FIGHT THE MAN...sell a kidney or lung if you have to...never surrender, never give in and all that jazz, so never glue the floor plate... dare LEO to arrest you when questioned....

I say just buy a dam 10rd magazine, keep the rebuild kits disassembled in a box in your garage.

Rexxss98
06-10-2011, 7:06 AM
It sounds like its all relative and up to interpretation of the LEO. I found this site that sells 10/20 at a great price with the Magblock http://westernsportonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=587. I'm not really sure now if its worth it with all that trouble.

dieselpower
06-10-2011, 7:25 AM
^ and I would agree
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX0072&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=9b3fa949-2de1-4e58-900d-d4b35534acd5

r6raff
06-10-2011, 7:39 AM
Somethings are obvious and I have no issue "walking the fine line" but with Mags and magblocks, there seem to be a lot of uncertainty on what is considered acceptable, so I would err on the side of caution.

Rexxss98
06-10-2011, 8:49 AM
Yea I hear ya! I was just thinking to myself how a pain in the ***** it would be to fix and maintain a converted Pmag with the floorplate that's pinned or glued on. I think I might just get these http://www.eaglearmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_8&products_id=407. It seems like a good deal at 80 bucks with free shipping. I've read good things on D&H Mags.

dieselpower
06-10-2011, 9:02 AM
Yea I hear ya! I was just thinking to myself how a pain in the ***** it would be to fix and maintain a converted Pmag with the floorplate that's pinned or glued on. I think I might just get these http://www.eaglearmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_8&products_id=407. It seems like a good deal at 80 bucks with free shipping. I've read good things on D&H Mags.

dam...thats a good buy. ArmaLite sells FIVE 10rd Steel magazines for $85. This is SEVEN Aluminum for $82. I will say this...you do not need an anti-tilt follower in a 10rd magazine. The chance of a tilt while loading or feeding is minuscule. ArmaLite 5 and 10 rd magazines come with mil-spec followers.

MUKAK
06-10-2011, 9:03 AM
the 10/20 pmags I bought from riflegear came with the floorplate pinned, $20.99 a piece

i also bought a few 10/20 pmags from Rifle gear so since they are pinned do i still need to GLUE THEM? any1 knows?

glock_this
06-10-2011, 9:08 AM
I like to pin or epoxy... I see no reason to do both

Rexxss98
06-10-2011, 9:19 AM
Hey Dieselpower just out of curiosity what mags are u using at the moment?

dieselpower
06-10-2011, 9:22 AM
Hey Dieselpower just out of curiosity what mags are u using at the moment?

pro-mags and armalites

Rexxss98
06-10-2011, 9:35 AM
Man I just looked up the price! Steel Mags are expensive....

pc_load_letter
06-10-2011, 9:42 AM
Even the "pinned" pmags from RG can be modified. The pin can be popped out with the right push tool. I know because I did it. Same with the pmags you can get at the gunshows. My father in law, a local SDPD, showed me how to remove the rivet via a simple drill bit.

Nothing is permanent. I've simply added the block to my mags and when I want to train out of state, I simply remove the block and have a full 30 rounder.

dieselpower
06-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Man I just looked up the price! Steel Mags are expensive....

expensive, heavy and can take a beating... $17+shipping from ArmaLite for a medium length body 10rd steel magazine, or $85+shipping for 5 short length body 10rd magazines.

On your link you get two exta magazines and for a few bucks less.

I wish Pmags came in a 10rd factory body, I'd be replacing all my mags with them.

glock_this
06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Even the "pinned" pmags from RG can be modified. The pin can be popped out with the right push tool. I know because I did it. Same with the pmags you can get at the gunshows. My father in law, a local SDPD, showed me how to remove the rivet via a simple drill bit.

exactly.. NOTHING is "permanent" but blocked with a pin or epoxy (should not need both) is plenty.

glock_this
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I wish Pmags came in a 10rd factory body, I'd be replacing all my mags with them.

you can make them from 20's :) IIRC, there is even a thread here for cutting a 20 down to a 10. I did it and salvaged a ruined Magpul (used to try a test idea), made it a 10rnder and then later, converted that to a single shot sled for a pistol.

FourLoko
06-10-2011, 4:12 PM
if you're going to pay $20 for blocked PMAGs (like I did) then you might as well have a handy bullet button tool attached:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=262666

and they're pinned so you can worry less!

glock_this
06-10-2011, 4:17 PM
if you're going to pay $20 for blocked PMAGs (like I did) then you might as well have a handy bullet button tool attached:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=262666

and they're pinned so you can worry less!

True that, I have about 20 of these in total - several versions - and it is just easier this way for many to buy them preblocked, pinned, with his BB tool and there is even a model with Ranger Plates

GMG
06-10-2011, 6:50 PM
Its your call.

Some say the installation of a limiting block on the inside requires disassembly to remove that limiting block and then the re-assembly without the limiting block is the crime (manufacture)...not the fact you have the ability to do that.

Others say the mere fact you have the ability to remove the block is all a DA needs to file charges.

Some say since most LEO read these threads they want to see the floor plate glued shut, because they believe they are the only ones with the authority to be allowed to have the ability to commit a crime... so to please any LEO you may encounter...glue the floor plate.

Some say that you should FIGHT THE MAN...sell a kidney or lung if you have to...never surrender, never give in and all that jazz, so never glue the floor plate... dare LEO to arrest you when questioned....

I say just buy a dam 10rd magazine, keep the rebuild kits disassembled in a box in your garage.

+1 Good info here.

blazeaglory
06-10-2011, 7:20 PM
seriously. buy all the high cap rebuild kits you want and keep them disassembled in a box somewhere. i doubt you will rarely ever have to repair a welded 10/20 mag so i would not worry about gluing one shut. use the 10 rounders for shooting if your worried of committing a crime.

on a side note, its funny how people say "go featureless" and you can use all the high cap mags you want but isnt the fact that you are in possession of an assembled high cap mag a crime regardless? because if it isnt, why not leave them assembled and OUT of your BB rifle. sooo many stupid laws:(