PDA

View Full Version : Pretty excited with our Range!

Triad
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
The range staff just approved for patrol use collapsible stocks, fore-grips, holographic and red dot sights on our AR-15's

Yay! Time to spend some money!

biochembruin
06-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Congrats! Luckily we've had that stuff for a while, and our list of approved accessories just got expanded last year. I would start with some optics and a light, then go from there. What are you planning to get?

mixicus
06-07-2011, 3:45 PM
Very nice.

Though you didn't ask, I tell my guys...
#1 white light source (and whatever you need to mount it). Different fore-ends play here. Surefire is still the groovy light but look at different mounting systems.
#2 usable sling. Single or 2-point is personal and mission preference
#3 red dot (and whatever you need to mount it). Aimpoints and EOTech for most patrol functions (i.e. CQB, felony car stop, across the street distances). The battery life and durability on the Aimpoints give them a definite edge. If you are in a rural area some magnification with a Trijicon may do well.

Tips
#1 Of course buy quality and cry once.
#2 Make sure it's all in policy.
#3 Make sure you can secure it in your unit's mount (if you toss it in the trunk in a case; disregard). Position of the optic or the large diameter rails can make clamping it into a Santa Cruz mount impossible. Try a couple different units if you use pooled cars. Variation of an inch in the cuff and the cup can goof you up.

Have fun shopping!

Triad
06-07-2011, 5:30 PM
I have spent and plan to spend a few more years in rural patrol areas so I am eye'ing a Trijicon.

I love spending money

1911su16b870
06-07-2011, 6:50 PM
How can I be out of money when I still have checks? :D

Roddd
06-07-2011, 7:00 PM
I'll recommend an EoTech 512...it's an excellent optic and not pricey. The Surefire M600C is a fantastic light. Contact Surefire directly for LE pricing. It'll save you $100.

Notorious
06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I recommend the 517 over the 512. Same everything except the controls are on the side instead of the back.