PDA

View Full Version : Turner's Fails Me Again

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 4:18 PM
It's nice to see that Turner's eventually took it's balls out of the freezer and has ARs and AKs with BBs in the racks. And I really shouldn't complain because the fact that they are a big chain and are selling off list rifles is great. It's their mis-informed/un-informed/poorly-informed sales people that frustrate me.

I built up an AR on a Kaiser Defense lower for my brother's 40th birthday. His wife gave me her credit card number and sent me shopping (yeah, she's really cool!). Anyway, because this was a last minute decision on her part I used one of my "extra" lowers and figured I'd transfer later. So my brother called Turner's and specifically told them he wanted to do a PPT of an AR type rifle with BB installed. The sales person said "No problem, bring it in". That was last week. Yesterday he called again, spoke to someone else, didn't mention that he'd already called, and was told the same thing.

So today we get there about 2 minutes after opening and the sales guy asks to see the firearm. He looks at the receiver and says "We can't transfer this because we don't sell this receiver. We only do PPT for items that have an SKU in our database. For liability issues, we don't PPT SB23 items". WTF! It was like he was saying "If you didn't buy this from us F**K OFF".

I know there are some Turner's supporters out there that are probably going to tell me it's their choice to decide how they are going to participate in the business of selling off list AR and AK type firearms but jeez, does the term "customer service" have any meaning to them? How about "I'm sorry, our store policy is to only PPT for off list firearms originally purchased in one of our stores. Try ABC Gun Store or XYZ Firearms, I think they do this type of PPT. Oh, you don't have their phone number? Let me get it for you." And why weren't we told about their policy when we called?

Anyway, I mumbled something to my brother like "This is why I don't do business at Turner's" as we walked out the door. So I went to Precision Arms about 1 mile away and they had no problem helping us with our PPT.

Guess I'll wait another year before I try Turner's again.

chim-chim7
05-28-2011, 4:38 PM
cool story bro.

SarcoBlaster
05-28-2011, 4:39 PM
Sounds about right. **** Turners.

chim-chim7
05-28-2011, 4:46 PM
What's that old saying go "Turners me once, shame on them, Turners me twice, shame on me!"

Ed_Hazard
05-28-2011, 4:49 PM
Meh, just means the lne at the register will be one person shorter...:D

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 4:59 PM
I like that "Turner's me once..." quote. Spot on.

Group 4
05-28-2011, 5:18 PM
Why didn't you go to Precision in the first place?

xibunkrlilkidsx
05-28-2011, 5:25 PM
parallax tac could prob do it.

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 6:00 PM
Why didn't you go to Precision in the first place?

No crap! Because he called Turner's and they said they would do it. Should have known better.

FNH5-7
05-28-2011, 6:02 PM
Wow another turners bashing thread. We're on a roll here.

VictorFranko
05-28-2011, 6:04 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=438455

AR15Kimo
05-28-2011, 6:05 PM
Happens all the time.

rareair
05-28-2011, 6:08 PM
I've tried to PPT a rifle@ Turners (Kearny Mesa store) as well. I bring in the firearm and their problem was it had a RaddLock on it. They would only PPT rifles equipped with the Prince50 style BB. :confused:

PyroFox79
05-28-2011, 6:16 PM
I've done a ppt at turners once. But it was an older bolt action. We had to wait a bit because there were quite a few people their during their lunch break. Other than waiting a bit it went smoothly. I also recently went bought a pistol from them. It took a while because the guy helping other people while on hold calling another store to see if they had the pistol in stock. Overall I've had a positive experience there. Then again I'm never in a hurry when I go to gun stores

Maddog5150
05-28-2011, 6:32 PM
Did you get the persons name whom you spoke to on the phone? Many times the hunting dept will be so full that tackle guys or the extra cashier will help out. Cant bame a cashier or tackle guy for not knowing a lot. Example
Customer on the phone- "yeah I got a kaiser defense not built, can I do a PPT there?"
Tackle or cashier putting hand over the phone, "Hey we can do a PPT today right?"
Hunting guy, "Yeah sure, tell them to bring it in..."
I find it funny people tell me here I dont know **** and insulting me via the interwebz. Ahh Turners. Probably being going back there in a month or so after current gig is over :D

mlevans66
05-28-2011, 6:55 PM
What Turners did you go to? I know they don't do transfers of lowers they don't sale and I asked them if they could about a year ago. They kindly told me no and suggested a place down the street from them who no longer does it them selves (Precision). I keep seeing these Turner bashing thread pop up. The one in San Marcos is pretty good.

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 7:16 PM
The one in San Marcos is where we were denied. My complaint wasn't necessarily that they wouldn't do the transfer. If we just walked in the door and were declined would be one thing. But we specifically called twice to make sure it was okay then were denied when we got there. That's just poor customer service. Sure, maybe the guy in tackle took the call but he is still a representative of the store so his bad reflects on the store as a whole.

At my work, if a customer calls and asks a question and the person taking the call doesn't know the answer, one of the following usually occurs:

"Can you hold a minute and I'll find someone that can answer your question"

or

"Can I take your number? I'll have someone call you back that can address your issue."

I know because the customer service people are on the other side of the wall from me and I know they are headed my way when they take a call like that.

Anyway, I didn't want this to be "another Turner's bashing thread" but just wanted to share my negative experience because it shouldn't have happened the way it did. I've also given kudos in posts where I have had good experiences too.

I will likely continue to visit the store because, to be honest, they do carry some things I need. They just won't be on my short list of places to PPT.

akjunkie
05-28-2011, 7:25 PM
SB23? Gimme a break.

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 7:29 PM
I kid you not, he actually said "SB23" during the conversation.

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 7:36 PM
For the record, he wasn't a jerk about it. He just explained why he couldn't do the PPT. Maybe the staff just needs some refresher training. For instance:

"If a customer calls and asks if we do PPT of AR and AK type firearms ask the customer for the name of the manufacturer and ask them to hold while you confirm whether it's in our SKU catalog"

Although I don't know why a Smith-Wesson M&P with a bullet button is good to go but a Kaiser Defense, Spike's, Mega, etc. with a bullet button is a no go because they don't sell them.

Magnum Johnson
05-28-2011, 8:43 PM
"So my brother called Turner's and specifically told them he wanted to do a PPT of an AR type rifle with BB installed. The sales person said "No problem, bring it in". That was last week. Yesterday he called again, spoke to someone else, didn't mention that he'd already called, and was told the same thing."

I will agree that Turners can fit all the typical stereotype negativity assaciated with them but all that aside who's to say that your brother actually asked the correct question? I mean no offense to you or your brother but is it possible that he asked a general question about the transfer of a firearm? While I don't doubt they gave you the wrong information its possible that the question was not asked correctly.

dawson8r
05-28-2011, 10:26 PM
What my brother said was "My brother has an offlist AR rifle with a bullet button installed and we would like to do a PPT from him to me. Can we do that in your store?" Is that clear enough? If there is a store policy regarding PPT only if they stock the item that should have been mentioned. "Sure, bring it in." is also pretty clear or am I missing something?

johnthomas
05-28-2011, 11:14 PM
So, was your brother with the gun or not?

dawson8r
05-29-2011, 6:31 PM
No, the gun was in my safe because, well, it's mine until the transaction is completed. My brother has other firearms, knows about off list and bullet buttons, and knows what to ask. Jeez, your questions make it sound like my brother and I don't know what we're doing. I've bought and sold about 5 or 6 off list ARs and even sold a Robinson Arms M96 with a bullet button on it. I know what I'm doing. I'm not attacking Turner's in whole, just frustrated with the bait and switch is all and wanted to share the experience.

USMC 82-86
05-29-2011, 7:31 PM
Sounds like they are really causing a lot of problems for customers lately. No customer courtesy at all. I look to see if anything good is on consignment or used but that is about it for me. I have seen employees actually go in the back to avoid helping at the counter.

Spetsnazos
05-29-2011, 8:10 PM
Dude I bought .308 Federal from them for $10.99 a box last Wednesday. Can't beat that price seriously awesome bought 20 boxes :)

marc4
05-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Dude I bought .308 Federal from them for $10.99 a box last Wednesday. Can't beat that price seriously awesome bought 20 boxes :)

I would have bought them too but swore never to spend another dollar with them.

Here's my problem with them also not doing a PPT on an AR15 in their Pasadena store.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=426294

Send your complaints to this guy
Rob Zubak
Director of Sales
robzubak@turners.com

He'll straighten them out but too late for them. Already lost customers in an bad way.

Spetsnazos
05-29-2011, 11:21 PM
I would have bought them too but swore never to spend another dollar with them.

Here's my problem with them also not doing a PPT on an AR15 in their Pasadena store.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=426294

Send your complaints to this guy
Rob Zubak
Director of Sales
robzubak@turners.com

He'll straighten them out but too late for them. Already lost customers in an bad way.

Huh? dude I won't lie often times they are super busy and slow in helping everyone but do you know how many noobs they deal with that point guns at them and ask stupid questions ? ontop of that you got people who think they know what they're talking about but don't ?

marc4
05-30-2011, 9:19 AM
And the beat goes on...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=438302

REVIT9K
05-30-2011, 2:04 PM
Bought a Marlin .22LR from Turners in Reseda. Took the counter monkeys a good 30 minutes before they even acknowledged me. I knew exactly what I was getting and informed them that I was ready to fill out the paperwork.

Bad attitude all around. I will never go to Turners. I'll spend the extra 10% to support small businesses.

chim-chim7
05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I just don't understand all the problems people are experiencing with Turners and other gun shops. I spend way too much time in them, 2-3 times a week. I have never, not one time had a problem with Turners or any other gun shop. The way I see it, you get treated like you want to be treated.. If you go in all huff puffy with a bad attitude and no patience then you will be treated as such. People who work in retail can get that vibe soon as you walk through the door. Give them a break, they deal with people all day long that cause them nothing but grief, don't add to it.

Spetsnazos
05-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Bought a Marlin .22LR from Turners in Reseda. Took the counter monkeys a good 30 minutes before they even acknowledged me. I knew exactly what I was getting and informed them that I was ready to fill out the paperwork.

Bad attitude all around. I will never go to Turners. I'll spend the extra 10% to support small businesses.

turners isn't small business ?