PDA

View Full Version : 80% lower legality questions

HIG541
05-22-2011, 6:56 PM
searched the forum and didn't see much in the way of legality of purchasing an 80% lower and then milling it out. Do i have to mill myself? can i pay someone to mill it out? legal in CA? bad idea? any help is greatly appreciated

bluebird
05-22-2011, 7:04 PM
searched the forum and didn't see much in the way of legality of purchasing an 80% lower and then milling it out. Do i have to mill myself? can i pay someone to mill it out? legal in CA? bad idea? any help is greatly appreciated

Do i have to mill myself? Yes. Or press a button.
can i pay someone to mill it out? I don't think so.
legal in CA? Absolutely.
bad idea? It's a pain in the butt so I gave up. Period.

any help is greatly appreciated. I recommend you use the search function next time.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=428176

Cheers :D

HIG541
05-22-2011, 7:07 PM
there is a search function?

incredablehefey
05-22-2011, 7:08 PM
Do i have to mill myself? Yes. Or press a button.
can i pay someone to mill it out? NO
legal in CA? Absolutely.
bad idea? no great idea that can be finished in a matter of 3 hours or so at a drill press with the proper jig, or 2 hours at a mill with jig or knowledge of the measurements
any help is greatly appreciated. I recommend you use the search function next time.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=428176

Cheers :D

fixed it with my opinion

bluebird
05-22-2011, 7:09 PM
there is a search function?

Look at your top right corner of the screen.

Below is a better option, however.

www.google.com

and type whatever you want then [space] site:calguns.net

ie.

80% lower site:calguns.net

Cokebottle
05-22-2011, 7:10 PM
searched the forum and didn't see much in the way of legality of purchasing an 80% lower and then milling it out. Do i have to mill myself?
You can.
can i pay someone to mill it out?
Yes, however, that person must be an 07FFL, they are required to engrave their information on the receiver, and they must then DROS the receiver to you.
Also, at that point, you cannot use that receiver to build a pistol because the 07FFL cannot DROS a stripped handgun receiver to you.

IOTW: When a stripped lower for a rifle is $135 out the door, it doesn't make sense to pay someone to complete your $70 paperweight.
legal in CA?
Absolutely.
bad idea?
No problems at all. At least half of the pistol builds posted by Calgunners are from 80% builds.
Some even do rifle builds from 80% because they prefer that there be no paperwork attached to the gun (no DROS or 4473 for an 80%).

bluebird
05-22-2011, 7:11 PM
fixed it with my opinion

I mean, technically he can ask someone to mill it for him right? As long as it's a licensed manufacturer but he'll have to DROS it? But that would be kind of pointless to build an 80% in that case...

incredablehefey
05-22-2011, 7:15 PM
yea... sure, it defeats the point of making an 80% IMO you will have to take the finished receiver that cost $80+ the charge to mill and engrave it(2 hours of worker time, my guess $70- $140) to the same gun store that sell finished receivers for $130 or so and pay $35 to dros

MrPlink
05-22-2011, 9:34 PM
I finished one not too long ago. My first experience machining anything! I have a buddy with a mill, so that helped.

I want to do another already.. maybe a 1911 next time..