PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE (post #195): SB798 DIED! ! ! req bright colored BB/pellet guns

Paladin
05-18-2011, 8:52 PM
From: http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20110517/NEWS01/105170302/California-takes-hard-look-BB-pellet-guns-

"California Senate Bill 798 has made it over two hurdles — a Public Safety Committee vote in March and a vote last week by state senators — and now heads to the Assembly, where it will be scrutinized and argued.

The bill, if approved, would require all imitation guns to be painted a bright yellow, blue, pink or orange or made translucent.

The bill was proposed by state Sen. Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, and inspired after a boy was shot in Los Angeles in December, after police mistook his BB gun for a deadly firearm."

My guess is the next step after this is to ban firearms that have those same colors (yellow, blue, pink, or orange). To me, this next step would be an attempt to keep some women uncomfortable w/guns, since several handgun manufacturers have offered pink firearms.

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 8:56 PM
From: http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20110517/NEWS01/105170302/California-takes-hard-look-BB-pellet-guns-

"California Senate Bill 798 has made it over two hurdles — a Public Safety Committee vote in March and a vote last week by state senators — and now heads to the Assembly, where it will be scrutinized and argued.

The bill, if approved, would require all imitation guns to be painted a bright yellow, blue, pink or orange or made translucent.

The bill was proposed by state Sen. Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, and inspired after a boy was shot in Los Angeles in December, after police mistook his BB gun for a deadly firearm."

My guess is the next step after this is to ban firearms that have those same colors (yellow, blue, pink, or orange). To me, this next step would be an attempt to keep some women uncomfortable w/guns, since several handgun manufacturers have offered pink firearms.

Nor does it resolve the purported concerns Chief Beck claims to have regarding officer safety and officer involved shootings with children. . . we had off-duty LEOs at the Ontario gunshow look at a side-by-side comparison between real and imitation firearms, and they responded that even if they were being pointed down by neon pink objects that resembles a firearm, they will still draw and fire.

BTW. . . Dupe. :P

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=426233&highlight=sb798

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=429274&highlight=sb798

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=427705&highlight=sb798

Paladin
05-18-2011, 9:10 PM
Nor does it resolve the purported concerns Chief Beck claims to have regarding officer safety and officer involved shootings with children. . . we had off-duty LEOs at the Ontario gunshow look at a side-by-side comparison between real and imitation firearms, and they responded that even if they were being pointed down by neon pink objects that resembles a firearm, they will still draw and fire.
That's what I figured which is why I speculated about why they may be pushing this.

Years ago, (like pre-WWII), MANY women bought handguns (Baby Brownings, .32 revolvers), and they often liked them "stylish" (nickel plated, ivory grips, etc.). I'm thinking part of the motivation behind this bill is to make guns less attractive to some women by keeping them black/evil looking.

Not really. More of an update since the bill has now passed another hurdle since those earlier posts. I'll revise the thread title though.

Equis
05-18-2011, 9:11 PM
I thought all imitation firearms needed a bright orange barrel tip. So is that to say an airsoft rifle spray painted black is now illegal after this passes ???

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 9:16 PM
I thought all imitation firearms needed a bright orange barrel tip. So is that to say an airsoft rifle spray painted black is now illegal after this passes ???

Imitation firearms must have a bright orange tip when being transferred to a new owner, as per federal law. Some states have regulations dictating that the tip must stay on at all times.

If you were at a military simulation event, you would be surrounded by all types of imitation firearms with nary an orange tip in sight.

G17GUY
05-18-2011, 9:17 PM
Guess I'm going to have to get a new benjamin sheradian before it's to late.

yellowfin
05-18-2011, 9:21 PM
"Every time they make a joke it's a law, and every time they make a law it's a joke." - Will Rogers

dantodd
05-18-2011, 9:22 PM
Some people use BB and pellet guns for hunting and I know that I will be using one with my son as I teach him firearm safety. These are not "imitation" firearms, they are an alternative "arm." While, like nunchaku, they may be a poor self-defense choice for most people in most situations they are still arms and should get much the same protection as firearms.

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 9:25 PM
Some people use BB and pellet guns for hunting and I know that I will be using one with my son as I teach him firearm safety. These are not "imitation" firearms, they are an alternative "arm." While, like nunchaku, they may be a poor self-defense choice for most people in most situations they are still arms and should get much the same protection as firearms.

Interestingly enough, most municipalities have codes that treats imitation/alternative firearms as real firearms. This would complicate those codes and making their possession and use much more onerous.

Cali-Shooter
05-18-2011, 9:26 PM
FFS, not even fake guns are safe in this damn state. :censored::mad::nuts:

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 9:27 PM
FFS, not even fake guns are safe in this damn state. :censored::mad::nuts:

Of course not. . . its for the kittens and children. And sadly, it will probably pass constitutional muster. Pathetic.

Fissssh
05-18-2011, 9:44 PM
Looks like I ain't gonna wait for Santa this year. Sending in a order to Daisy for a couple "Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time" before they are pink, oh crap, they have a pink Red Ryder already.....

stix213
05-18-2011, 9:48 PM
Does no one on the legislature see the danger of establishing colors that an officer is supposed to assume mean its not a real gun pointed at them? Lets hope criminals are too uninformed to follow this bill.....

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 9:51 PM
Does no one on the legislature see the danger of establishing colors that an officer is supposed to assume mean its not a real gun pointed at them? Lets hope criminals are too uninformed to follow this bill.....

Do you really think any of them gives a crap about the patrol officers walking the beat?

stix213
05-18-2011, 9:52 PM
Do you really think any of them gives a crap about the patrol officers walking the beat?

I thought they cared about the support of their union at least, if not the individuals. You'd think their union would have an interest in not getting officers killed when a criminal paints their gun bright purple.

Carnivore
05-18-2011, 9:53 PM

Exactly, so now criminals can paint their sawed off shot gun pink and no one is the wiser. Kevin de Leon is such a total tool.

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 9:54 PM
I thought they cared about the support of their union at least, if not the individuals.

Only if it involves money and votes. Good luck getting them to admit it on record though. Remember, it was Chief Beck of LAPD that came up with this idea and approached De Leon about it.

CitaDeL
05-18-2011, 9:54 PM
I have an all black 'Marksman' .177 cal BB gun which was manufactured 20-25 years ago without an orange tip. It's all starting to make sense - pink may be most appropriate for my first AR platform rifle.:43:

Spetsnazos
05-18-2011, 9:59 PM
why are cops shooting children in the first place.? also does this mean that if someone is holding a neon gun then cops won't fire? facepalm

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
why are cops shooting children in the first place.? also does this mean that if someone is holding a neon gun then cops won't fire? facepalm

Because the parents neglected to teach their children basic firearm safety rules.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/officer-involved-shooting-teenager-.html?ref

rubber duckie
05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
looks like my sons first gun wont be a BB gun , but instead a .22.

CHS
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
This will go over great with the soccer moms until some gang banger paints his glock pink and shoots a cop in the face with it.

Or, cops RETAIN common sense and shoot the next person who points a gun at them, that happens to be pink. Because you DONT POINT GUNS AT COPS. Fake or not.

These are the "common sense" gun laws that the Brady's keep talking about people and they are ANYTHING but common sense. They are IDIOCY.

iWANNA50cal
05-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Meh. I'm not gonna paint my airsoft rifles and pistols any color but black.

It just means (if this passes) that I won't be able to take them to airsoft events anymore :/

subrosa
05-18-2011, 10:36 PM
What?! I did always want that Red Ryder, guess I have to buy it sooner then later.

This state...:rolleyes:

I didn't read the bill, but I wonder what the meaning of "imitation" is, I have seen pellet/airsoft guns that look 100% unique and unlike any other firearm.

I am guessing next is NERF blasters will need an FFL.

GettoPhilosopher
05-18-2011, 10:39 PM
This almost makes me tempted to rebuy some airsoft guns for my kids...before they get banhammered. :P

Dark Paladin
05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
This almost makes me tempted to rebuy some airsoft guns for my kids...before they get banhammered. :P

Do it! For your children. :D

WoodTurner
05-18-2011, 11:12 PM
So Obama is the best firearm salesman. Kevin De Leon is the best air gun salesman...
I too will probably buy a few more bb/pellet guns if this keeps moving.

oni.dori
05-19-2011, 12:03 AM
And how many firearms are there that AREN'T black in color? HOW many desert/digi/pink camo guns do we see everywhere? I can't even COUNT how many "Hello Kitty" AR rifles I have seen, not to mention I can think of AT LEAST one member here who has a camo painted pistol for their avatar (pretty bad*ss looking too, if I do say so). Simply a extremist placebo "feel good' law that will do NOTHING to make anyone safer. Simply opression for the sake of opression.

7.62 Charlie
05-19-2011, 12:10 AM

It just means (if this passes) that I won't be able to take them to airsoft events anymore :/

If this passes there probably wont be any more airsoft events.
Nobody wants a brightly colored airsoft gun.

winxp_man
05-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Hell this sound like a really cool AB I will start painting my AR-15's in hot orange and pink SH!!T and UOC all day long :D

The Cable Guy
05-19-2011, 1:48 AM
I work in the Airsoft industry. I would say 95% of the nation's airsoft supply comes from California. This bill will effectively put thousands of people out of jobs, and cost the state millions in tax revenue.

Many airsoft businesses and importers/distributors will shut down, or downsize and relocate out of state. I fear the latter isn't an option for most.

Wildeman_13
05-19-2011, 2:07 AM
This also means that anyone who mods Nerf guns for sale will be breaking the law if they paint them something other than bright colors. Which is most mods.
It also puts replica non-firing weapons into a grey area. I guess this law will make Cosplay at San Diego Comic Con a lot less cool.

Funtimes
05-19-2011, 2:25 AM
We dodged this bullet in Hawaii. However, I am prohibited from utilizing a "blue" gun (Plastic inert training device) in public or the range master has threatened to have me arrested and thrown in jail.

SanPedroShooter
05-19-2011, 5:05 AM
This all new manufactured guns correct? Or will this apply to the millions of pellet/bb guns in California already.

What about buying a bb gun in another state and "importing" it?

Okay, I actually read the article. So what stops me from buying my kids bb guns out of state? Even if it is illegal? My own precious integrity? This is the corrosove effect of more and more laws .

Eventually you draw a line I suppose....

mag360
05-19-2011, 5:53 AM
i find this repulsive... BUT it gives me motivation to paint the girlfriends AR in "digital desert/light pink" haha.

MasterYong
05-19-2011, 5:54 AM
So, does this mean that we won't be able to buy "real" pellet guns in this state? Looks like I'll have to get that gamo whisper sooner rather than later.

Liberty1
05-19-2011, 5:58 AM
Just another law self respecting cops won't enforce. Too many out of control real crimes happening. How many open carry imitation firearms tickets have I written? 0, and I see kids with them at the parks all the time.

Dark Paladin
05-19-2011, 6:07 AM
Just another law self respecting cops won't enforce. Too many out of control real crimes happening. How many open carry imitation firearms tickets have I written? 0, and I see kids with them at the parks all the time.

Out of curiosity, do you interact with them at all? Do you just observe for a bit and then walk away, or do you gently remind them to be safe and not to play in an area where bystanders may be hit?

Liberty1
05-19-2011, 7:26 AM
No call for service, no real crime = no action for me. If a 'reporting person' wanted contact I'd tell tell them there is nothing wrong going on. If they said its against the law I'd tell them I have discretion and I'm exercising it.

glock_this
05-19-2011, 7:33 AM
Years ago I bought a nice Glock replica BB gun about 2-3 miles away at a Big 5 in my cities limits. I was shooting it in my yard and someone called the cops (I think I know who also). They wanted to bust me for shooting a BB gun in city limits that I bought from a store in city limits just miles away.. I was like WTF? The cop tells me "just becuase you can by crack does not mean you can smoke it". And I was like, "you didn't really just use that as an analogy on me did you?"

HondaMasterTech
05-19-2011, 7:37 AM

This.

Agent Orange
05-19-2011, 7:52 AM
Another moronic law. Point anything of any color that looks even vaguely like a pistol and the cops are likely to shoot anyway. The guy from Long Beach with the water nozzle comes to mind:

http://tinyurl.com/29xlwgb

blazeaglory
05-19-2011, 8:01 AM
This will go over great with the soccer moms until some gang banger paints his glock pink and shoots a cop in the face with it.

Or, cops RETAIN common sense and shoot the next person who points a gun at them, that happens to be pink. Because you DONT POINT GUNS AT COPS. Fake or not.

These are the "common sense" gun laws that the Brady's keep talking about people and they are ANYTHING but common sense. They are IDIOCY.

i agree. now every criminal with a braincell is gonna paint there mac10 kermit green or crip blue..Lol.. a cop is trained to shoot at ANY COLOR weapon..i think these stupid laws are meant to appease stupid people

i would love to see the face of a soccer mom type at the EXACT MOMENT she realizes she needs some sort of firearm and cannot get one because of the idiotic laws she or he rallied to pass. like maybe when the Chinese army is knocking on her front door?;)

GOEX FFF
05-19-2011, 8:21 AM
These A**hats are really nothing but crime manufactures.
Once again, De Leon is MAKING criminals out of nothing, thus he's continuing to develop more crime for the state. :mad:

RobG
05-19-2011, 8:40 AM

You really have to stop making sense.;)

I can see this as a win for UOC. Cop sees holstered weapon, sees that it is pink, and moves along. No harrassment, no "E" check, no video on Youtube:rolleyes:

Dark Paladin
05-19-2011, 8:53 AM
You really have to stop making sense.;)

I can see this as a win for UOC. Cop sees holstered weapon, sees that it is pink, and moves along. No harrassment, no "E" check, no video on Youtube:rolleyes:

Actually, no it won't. Open carry of any airsoft replicas is pretty much prohibited in any metropolitan area (in fact carries heavier penalties than if you were carrying the real thing). Add in AB144, and you pretty much have to become a criminal to exercise your self defense rights.

RobG
05-19-2011, 8:55 AM
Actually, no it won't. Open carry of any airsoft replicas is pretty much prohibited in any metropolitan area (in fact carries heavier penalties than if you were carrying the real thing). Add in AB144, and you pretty much have to become a criminal to exercise your self defense rights.

Damn, nobody gets sarcasm any longer. And I even put the :rolleyes: smiley.

Next time I will bracket my sarcasm with [sarcasm alert][sarcasm alert]. No, not sarcasm this time.

glockwise2000
05-19-2011, 8:56 AM
So this AR15 is now categorized as BB gun?

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt38/glockwise2000/KittyRifle.jpg

Lostsheep
05-19-2011, 9:10 AM
Did anybody else notice from the bill that wikipedia is one of their research sources? What a joke.....

Texas Boy
05-19-2011, 9:21 AM
I think there are only 2 options for killing this bill:

1. Get it amended in the assembly. The chances of it not passing the assembly seem slim at best, so hopefully an amendment can take some of the bite out if it. This sends it back to the senate for a 2nd vote (who might amend it further). This was the game that killed the open carry ban proposed last year (basically delayed the final vote until the legislature was out of time).

2. A veto by JB. I'd say the odds don't favor this one too much either...but that is pure speculation. Assuming the bill makes it to his desk, if the industry lobbies hard and tells JB they will have no choice but to shut down or move, perhaps he will see the economic damage and veto the bill.

If all that fails, perhaps the industry will file suit based on preemption of federal laws. I'm sure the NRA/CRAPA/SAF would lend support, but I don't see them leading the charge on this one, it would have to come from the industry.

Not a pretty situation...

Fissssh
05-19-2011, 9:54 AM
So Obama is the best firearm salesman. Kevin De Leon is the best air gun salesman...

Just placed a order for some Red Ryders....:D

SupportGeek
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
So Obama is the best firearm salesman. Kevin De Leon is the best air gun/AMMO salesman...

Fixed

PaperPuncher
05-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I am happy to hear that criminals will know which colors to paint their real guns in order to disguise them as fake. Good thinking.

Maestro Pistolero
05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
A pellet gun can kill you. This law is dangerous.

Decoligny
05-19-2011, 10:22 AM

The bill only requires all BB guns manufactured, or sold, in CA to be brightly colored.

It does not prohibit the refinishing of a BB gun after purchase.

This bill is simply another step in destroying the California economy. It will simply do two things.

1. It will force anyone who wants a BB gun to go out of California to purchase it. This will eliminate any sales tax revenues from the purchase of BB guns from entering the CA coffers.

2. It will force any BB gun manufacturer in California to move their business to a less restrictive state. This will eliminate the business taxes, and payroll taxes from BB gun manufacture from entering the CA coffers.

BluNorthern
05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm on my way to Big 5 to pick up a Pellet rifle and/or pistol right now.
Seriously.

Catechol
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Next up, CA passes a law making it a felony to color working firearms yellow, blue, pink or orange, after numerous police officers -- who mistook them for toys -- are killed by gang members with painted guns.

Glock22Fan
05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
When a gang member illegally in possession of a firearm obtained illegally, carrying it illegally loaded and illegally concealed with the intent to commit illegal acts, is charged, what will the sentence enhancement be if he has also illegally painted it to look like a toy?

komifornian
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
If this absolutely absurd AB becomes law just buy you bb bun out of state.... Simple...

Rekrab
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM

Man, I can't remember the last time I saw an officer walking anywhere apart from to and from his car.

vincewarde
05-19-2011, 11:40 AM
A pellet gun can kill you. This law is dangerous.

+1 on that. If you can hunt Turkey with them, they can surely kill a person if you shoot them in the head. My Gamo .22 shoots a 14gr pellet at 700fps. Not too far off .22 short ballistics.

komifornian
05-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Oh and is bb gun imitating something? No, it’s a gun that uses compressed air to propel the projectile. The way this bill reads an ‘imitation bb bun’ needs to be colored in the proposed loud colors. I mention this because as usual there are a lot of loop holes in this bill as well as grey area….

Dark Paladin
05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Oh and is bb gun imitating something? No, it’s a gun that uses compressed air to propel the projectile. The way this bill reads an ‘imitation bb bun’ needs to be colored in the proposed loud colors. I mention this because as usual there are a lot of loop holes in this bill as well as grey area….

Want to be a test case? Because I guarantee you the cops and DAs won't interpret it that way.

iWANNA50cal
05-19-2011, 1:09 PM
Wait, my little noggin is a little confused.

So an airsoft gun that shoots plastic BB's counts as an imitation firearm, under this bill I guess.

How about air guns that shoot metal BB's?

Or pellet guns that shoot .177 or .22 pellets (not BB's)? Do they count as "imitation" firearms or real ones?

Jack L
05-19-2011, 1:53 PM
But wait, does this mean there will be no more Daisy Red Ryder BB rifles with a cool wooden stock, brass ring on stock and a blued barrel? Blasphemy !! I'm going out and buying a few more.

Bigbird19
05-19-2011, 1:58 PM
If this passes there probably wont be any more airsoft events.
Nobody wants a brightly colored airsoft gun.

There is two ways of thought though.

1. There won't be any more events due to the bright color law.

2. OOOOOOr there won't be any effect at all. It is required by law to have an orange tip in california. You go to a field or event and how many do you see 5% at the most? It will probably be the same with these Bright guns. Or people will just go out of state buy and bring em in since their is no registration.

advocatusdiaboli
05-19-2011, 2:25 PM
T
1. It will force anyone who wants a BB gun to go out of California to purchase it. This will eliminate any sales tax revenues from the purchase of BB guns from entering the CA coffers.

I am not going to rush to buy one, I'll take the fly gear up to the Tahoe basin and after the hatch, hit Cabelas near Reno before driving home. Save sales tax AND get a normal, sanely finished air gun. Fork this state—I'll pay as little tax to them as I can after this.

curtisfong
05-19-2011, 2:36 PM
Stupid question: does this affect mail order bb/pellet guns? Or is there some prohibition of mail order bb/pellet guns that is already in place?

Uxi
05-19-2011, 2:46 PM
I hate Sacramento. Hate hate hate it. Nothing in common with those bastards. Need to split from it. Two States, Northern California and Southern California. It would also solve the apportionment problem Cali has been stiffed by, but that's neither here nor there

Texas Boy
05-19-2011, 2:52 PM
There is two ways of thought though.

1. There won't be any more events due to the bright color law.

2. OOOOOOr there won't be any effect at all. It is required by law to have an orange tip in california. You go to a field or event and how many do you see 5% at the most? It will probably be the same with these Bright guns. Or people will just go out of state buy and bring em in since their is no registration.

Better go read the bill. "Transportation" is included along with sale or manufacture. So....you don't have to paint your existing airsoft guns, but you can't take them anywhere.

Read the bill here - http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/billtrack/text.html?bvid=20110SB79897AMD

According to the bill, anything that looks like a real firearm but fires a BB "or other device" is an imitation firearm. All imitation firearms must be brightly painted to be manufactured, sold, or transported. Note that air rifles used for hunting or competition "look like real firearms" and therefore could be classified as "imitation firearms" under this bill.

(a) As used in this part, "imitation firearm" means any BB
device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so
substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an
existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the
device is a firearm.

MasterYong
05-19-2011, 3:06 PM
OK I just re-read the whole thread, and I'm still confused. I haven't found the text of the bill yet (and may not understand it if I found it anyways), but I have three questions that I'm hoping someone in the know will answer:

1. Does this make it illegal to paint the guns black (or some other dark, more realistic color) after purchase?

2. Does this make it illegal to PERSONALLY import a "non-compliant" BB or pellet gun into the state of CA?

3. Should I go out and buy the pellet gun I've been looking at while I still can, or do the answers to questions 1 and 2 make this unnecessary?

curtisfong
05-19-2011, 3:36 PM
This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the
sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or distribution of
imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

I hate lawyers. Why can't they use a proper language? English sucks. Does this mean

{sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or distribution} of

or

sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or {distribution of
imitation firearms for commercial purposes} applicable to BB devices.

or

{sale, manufacture, transportation, receipt, or distribution of

or... etc. etc. etc.

Really, sometimes the law is such a joke it's pathetic.

fuenstock
05-19-2011, 4:18 PM
Will existing airguns have to be painted loud colors? I have a 1911 repilca pellet gun and a couple pellet rifles I use alot. This crap makes my stomach turn, what's the point? Criminals are going to do what ever they want while law abiding people are gonna be stuck with their dorkey neon guns.

jeffsenpai
05-19-2011, 6:44 PM
I will be sorely disappointed if this applies towards .177 and .22 air rifles. It will give the impression that they are toys. Air rifles are not toys.

champion
05-20-2011, 8:06 AM
If this absolutely absurd AB becomes law just buy you bb bun out of state.... Simple...

Until they ammend it...which you know they will.

Wherryj
05-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Why should the LEOs get any more protection than the citizens? After all didn't the 9th (?) circuit recently pass down the ruling that homeowners have no right to resist an officer invading their home without a warrant?

That means that homeowners are supposed to ASSUME that anyone who LOOKS like s/he MIGHT be an officer IS an officer and not resist. Shouldn't the officers be put into the same jeopardy of assuming that anything that doesn't look like a gun isn't?

It just seems to balance out the "logic" in this region.

CrysisMonkey
05-20-2011, 2:48 PM
I see the same complaints in every posting on this website. Remember, idiots elect idiots. And they are passing laws to protect that.

Wherryj
05-20-2011, 4:52 PM

I'm thinking that it's about time to buy my first Airsoft, just in case my sons ever decide to get into them.

ptoguy2002
05-22-2011, 6:20 PM
-> Big Q: Is this only for new guns, or do existing BB pellet / airsoft guns have to be painted???

sharxbyte
05-22-2011, 8:29 PM

To be completely Honest I'll keep mine their camo/stock colors(with orange tips, even though they are retarded) whether or not the law passes... IF i get called out on it, ill claim that its quite obviously neon-drab. As far as I'm aware most of the airsofters arent going to put up with it either.

TO ALL THOSE ASKING IF THIS APPLIES TO EXISTING GUNS:

Only if you plan on transporting or loaning or selling them... transport being holding and walking, throwing, putting in your car, carrying in your car, mailing, importing..... and on and on...

DisgruntledReaper
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
So when may this POS law take effect?? I need to be sure to get 1-2 GOOD 1000 fps 22 cal Beeman,Gamo,etc air rifles with WOOD STOCKS beforehand........

So this will basically kill all sales of nice high quality air rifles in this state......god i just to punch every Douchebag legislator in the throat ......line up ya a holes.....time for a public punching session.......

I better see about that .50 cal air rifle I saw a guy kill a bison with-!!!!!!

NotEnufGarage
05-23-2011, 1:02 PM
Since this was authored by DeLeon, who in my opinion is a sniveling little idiot, I'm assuming nothing in the law says that real firearms cannot be yellow, blue, pink, orange, or translucent.

What's to stop us from painting our EBRs so that the EYRs, EbRs, EPRs, or EORs?

Wouldn't it be hilarious to show up at a DeLeon event and see a few hundred CalGunners with AR-15s painted every color of the rainbow except black?

Where can I find water soluble paint that won't flake off when the barrel gets hot?

PEBKAC
05-23-2011, 1:38 PM
Since this was authored by DeLeon, who in my opinion is a sniveling little idiot, I'm assuming nothing in the law says that real firearms cannot be yellow, blue, pink, orange, or translucent.

Wouldn't it be hilarious to show up at a DeLeon event and see a few hundred CalGunners with AR-15s painted every color of the rainbow except black?

Where can I find water soluble paint that won't flake off when the barrel gets hot?
That might give him ideas...:pinch:

But I'd be down if there wasn't an "oh god please don't do that" from on high.

Though I like the trolliness of that in principle. I still need to make a proper "hello kitty" or similar IP themed AR-15...

Dark Paladin
05-23-2011, 4:00 PM
That might give him ideas...:pinch:

But I'd be down if there wasn't an "oh god please don't do that" from on high.

Though I like the trolliness of that in principle. I still need to make a proper "hello kitty" or similar IP themed AR-15...

A purple Barney-themed AK? How about a red Mr. Rogers themed Glock Fortay? A yellow Pikachu-themed Desert Eagle?

Casey
05-23-2011, 4:20 PM

So the "commercial purposes" is key in how this is applied.

I would argue that if you are not selling these types of items that you are ok transporting your existing black and wood BB guns, airsoft and pellet guns since you are not transporting them for distribution or for sale.

curtisfong
05-23-2011, 4:24 PM

Again, English is a piss poor language for this.

Is this

imitation firearms} for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

or

and to which of those do "applicable to BB devices" belong?

Ridiculous. I hate that lawyers are required to interpret something that is vague because English sucks.

BigFatGuy
05-23-2011, 4:27 PM
English doesn't suck, people just don't know how to properly parenthesize their logical statements.

;-) (I keed... I keed...)

Anchors
05-23-2011, 5:41 PM

Exactly!
Because they are smart.
Anyone can buy a can of Krylon florescent Orange and paint their Glock in an attempt to fool the cops.

Again, gun laws don't work and only impede....law-abiding citizens.

Fail.

Theseus
05-24-2011, 1:06 AM
Actually, as I undrstand it, California tax law requires you to pay California taxes on any and all online or out of state purchases imported into California. By not paying the tax you are a criminal... but I might not be 100% on the nuances of this.

Anchors
05-24-2011, 2:04 AM
I'm assuming nothing in the law says that real firearms cannot be yellow, blue, pink, orange, or translucent.

My guess is the next step after this is to ban firearms that have those same colors (yellow, blue, pink, or orange).

Actually this is the last step (sort of). While this obviously isn't all colors...this is already CA PC.
PC§ 12020.3. Firearms; Orange or Green
Any person who, for commercial purposes, purchases, sells, manufacturers, ships, transports, distributes, or receives a firearm, where the coloration of the entire exterior surface of the firearm is bright orange or bright green, either singly, in combination, or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, is liable for a civil fine in an action brought by the city attorney of the city or the district attorney for the county of not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

The key language is "entire exterior surface".
Good thing that front sight post is black :shifty:

GettoPhilosopher
05-24-2011, 7:41 AM
The key language is "entire exterior surface".
Good thing that front sight post is hot pink :shifty:
Fixed. ;)

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Wherryj
05-24-2011, 8:46 AM
So when is this impending abortion scheduled to begin? I have little doubt that it will pass in the PRK, so I'll have to decide which airsoft items to purchase for my sons.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a retailer and particular models?

GettoPhilosopher
05-24-2011, 8:49 AM
G&G, KWA are great quality. A&K are very solid bodies, good way to stock up now and upgrade internals later.

I kinda wish I'd kept my A&K M60 and MK43.

Dark Paladin
05-24-2011, 9:04 AM
So when is this impending abortion scheduled to begin? I have little doubt that it will pass in the PRK, so I'll have to decide which airsoft items to purchase for my sons.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with them.

Tokyo Marui are tried and true, and parts are plentiful for upgrades and mods. Real Sword is relatively new but have been fairly reliable out of the box (and not needing much upgrading). Both Star/Ares and Real Sword may use some proprietary parts, so upgrading/maintenance can be a concern.

I've had great luck with any model that uses Ver. 3 gearboxes. Ver. 2 gearboxes are the most prevalent, but does have the possibility of the gearbox cracking due to a inherent design flaw (it has happened to me personally).

ETA: Skip the ones you find at Big5 or Wal-Mart. . . those are pretty much junk and won't last.

GettoPhilosopher
05-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Marui don't hold up anymore. Real sword, star, and ares are no go.

G&G, KWA for high end, A&K or Echo 1 for reliable low end (upgradable).

Trust me, I'm a former airsoft "gunsmith" who's tested these guns to 10,000 rds+. ;)

AirsoftGi (online or in person) don't steer you wrong, and socalairsoft.com is THE community to talk to.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with them.

Tokyo Marui are tried and true, and parts are plentiful for upgrades and mods. Real Sword is relatively new but have been fairly reliable out of the box (and not needing much upgrading). Both Star/Ares and Real Sword may use some proprietary parts, so upgrading/maintenance can be a concern.

I've had great luck with any model that uses Ver. 3 gearboxes. Ver. 2 gearboxes are the most prevalent, but does have the possibility of the gearbox cracking due to a inherent design flaw (it has happened to me personally).

ETA: Skip the ones you find at Big5 or Wal-Mart. . . those are pretty much junk and won't last.

Dark Paladin
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Trust me, I'm a former airsoft "gunsmith" who's tested these guns to 10,000 rds+. ;)

AirsoftGi (online or in person) don't steer you wrong, and socalairsoft.com is THE community to talk to.

To each their own. I've had years of good field experience with my TM, Star, and RS. . . and I maintain and upgrade everything I own. Figure if I have to rely on it, who do I really trust to work on them? ;)

Anchors
05-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I could never get into the airsoft thing.
We had some airsoft guns, stun guns, and mini blow dart guns at my old house that I lived at with like 10+ other 17-22 year olds.
That situation started out fun for the first day and descended into serious fighting rapidly.
Getting stun gunned or shot with an airsoft machine gun while you're trying to go to the bathroom or something is really annoying after a while haha.
We finally abolished those items from the house. The only time in history that gun control worked. hahaha.

aklover_91
05-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Does it say how they have to be colored?

Because if it don't, and they only have to be colored for commercial purposes, I could see hanging them up on the wall of a shop, wrapping them in colored tape when someone's ready to buy one, and then having them unwrap it on the way out as a work around.

Anchors
05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Does it say how they have to be colored?

Because if it don't, and they only have to be colored for commercial purposes, I could see hanging them up on the wall of a shop, wrapping them in colored tape when someone's ready to buy one, and then having them unwrap it on the way out as a work around.

The single-shot exemption of the airsoft world if that is legit. haha.

sharxbyte
05-25-2011, 12:17 AM

Classic army, tokyo marui, JG(depends) G&G, WE(depends), KWA, KJW(depends) Tanaka($$$!) ... There are so many brands right now... It depends on what form factor you want, what power system you want...

AEG's (electric) are the primary fully automatic guns. they have the most moving parts and so the most that can go wrong with them; Mind you, a good gun that is well maintained will last for a long time. They are fun to shoot, have high capacity(up to 450 in a standard sized mag, more in some special mags) and are pretty devastating as AR's. the cons are that many high end guns require a separate battery/charger purchase(+ ~50) and you have to worry about running out of charge. Classic army M4a1, Tokyo Marui M14 socom. Those are the ones i've played with but there are plenty more that are amazing.

Spring guns are usually the cheapest & they come in 2 main categories:
Cheap guns (usually transparent, many form factors) not usually worth touching.

and high end bolt action sniper rifles. these have the least amount of things that cam go wrong as a rule. They also yield extremely consistent FPS ratings, and can shoot upwards of 500 FPS when properly upgraded. the cons are that you have a low ROF, and a heavy bolt pull(not an issue for targets so much, but in a skirmish after an hour of lugging a sniper rifle through brush, its almost painful to draw your bolt) I dont play with springs but check Airsoft Forum
(http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/forums.html)

Gas guns(mine are all gas) are my favorite, but that's a preference. I like Gas because I don't have to worry about charging batteries(I have a propane adapter that lets me fill in the field; propane is cheaper than green gas and yields better results(in my experience) without clogging your hop up; look up how to oil occasionally.) No heavy bolt pull (it cycles as easily as a real r700, or more so) and my particular gun(kjw m700) allows me to change the FPS anywhere between 175-600 in under 5 minutes. Cons are that you have to carry gas with you, FPS can be erratic, and is affected by weather, low ROF (on most, though WE makes a Fully auto line) and the smell of propane. (the adapter costs 20 bucks... 5-10 dollars more than a 12 oz can of green gas... propane at walmart runs 2.50 for a 14 oz can...) I recommend KJW m700 rifle and we-hi-capa 5.1 pistol. Tokyo marui makes great pistols too. Tanaka is known as the best but runs 500+, and a KJW can compare once upgraded (half the price) One of the guys i've played with had a We SCAR nd had to custom fabricate a recoil plate out of steel because the stock one cracked. other than that he said the gun was awesome.

AEX, Evike, Airsoft GI are the ones i've dealt with.

Never use .12 bbs. People diss the crossman .20 and .25's but as of yet I haven't had a problem with them.

Hope this helps.

^THIS

Ctwo
05-25-2011, 1:28 AM
Again, English is a piss poor language for this.

Is this

imitation firearms} for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

or

and to which of those do "applicable to BB devices" belong?

Ridiculous. I hate that lawyers are required to interpret something that is vague because English sucks.

Here are the only ways I'm able to interpret the text. Any other variant seems to be missing a critical grammatical element:

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the sale of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the manufacture of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the transportation of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the receipt of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the distribution of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

Smokeybehr
05-25-2011, 2:29 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose eyes are glazing over when trying to interpret this bill.

Once again, we have another BS law put forth by a BS legislator instead of getting a real budget passed for the current fiscal year.

blazeaglory
05-25-2011, 7:16 AM
Years ago I bought a nice Glock replica BB gun about 2-3 miles away at a Big 5 in my cities limits. I was shooting it in my yard and someone called the cops (I think I know who also). They wanted to bust me for shooting a BB gun in city limits that I bought from a store in city limits just miles away.. I was like WTF? The cop tells me "just becuase you can by crack does not mean you can smoke it". And I was like, "you didn't really just use that as an analogy on me did you?"

now if your BB gun was pink or yellow, the cop would have just nodded his head with a dimply cheeked smile and said "howdly doodly neighbor" and been on his merry way, skipping down the street in a world of pink plastic guns..

just paint it pink and youll have no problems from the cops:rolleyes:

blazeaglory
05-25-2011, 7:20 AM
Here are the only ways I'm able to interpret the text. Any other variant seems to be missing a critical grammatical element:

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the sale of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the manufacture of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the transportation of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the receipt of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

This bill would make the provision imposing a civil fine on the distribution of imitation firearms for commercial purposes applicable to BB devices.

commercial use? isnt just the sale of a BB guns commercial? so this law basically bans BB guns outright? or is it trying to? that reads like a ban to me scary

im buying my squriell killer .177 cal 1250 FPS today at big 5 for $129!!

Dark Paladin
05-25-2011, 7:23 AM
now if your BB gun was pink or yellow, the cop would have just nodded his head with a dimply cheeked smile and said "howdly doodly neighbor" and been on his merry way, skipping down the street in a world of pink plastic guns..

just paint it pink and youll have no problems from the cops:rolleyes:

This might have been stated before. . . but several municipalities have ordinances against brandishing, discharging, or openly carrying replicas. In fact, the punishment tends to be harsher than if you were using a real firearm.

Ctwo
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
commercial use? isnt just the sale of a BB guns commercial? so this law basically bans BB guns outright? or is it trying to? that reads like a ban to me scary

im buying my squriell killer .177 cal 1250 FPS today at big 5 for $129!!

I started to jump the gun there too, but:

"As used in Section 20165, "imitation firearm" [earlier defined as BB/Pellet guns] does not include any of the following:"

It excludes bright colored BB/Pellet guns...

You can go on using your old one just the same, but you cannot receive one that is not painted bright colored. I guess that even means inherit?

G lock
05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
does anyone know when the enforcment of this law will start?

sd_shooter
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM

What, is it a done deal already? Has the gov signed it? I don't think so.

blazeaglory
05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
thats why i bought a BB gun today. its black, it will stay black;)

G lock
05-25-2011, 1:08 PM
What, is it a done deal already? Has the gov signed it? I don't think so.

OK thanks, I was under the impression that it was

amd64
05-25-2011, 1:14 PM
Get your preban BB guns now !

Wherryj
05-25-2011, 2:29 PM
G&G, KWA are great quality. A&K are very solid bodies, good way to stock up now and upgrade internals later.

I kinda wish I'd kept my A&K M60 and MK43.

Thanks, I did a bit of research and went with the "Top Tech" line from G&G. I picked up an MP5 and an M4 just to make sure my little guys have a little variety when they aren't so little.

Paul S
05-25-2011, 2:39 PM

Easy turbo.....go back and re-read the very first post in this thread.

It isn't law YET.

Oh...and if it becomes law ( which it likely will ) how long will it be before
a banger paints his firearm, shoots an officer and then the whole situation changes and officers STILL end up shooting some little tyke who is foolish enough to point his look alike bright pink gun at an officer.

DeLeon is an absolute tool.

bomb_on_bus
05-25-2011, 7:22 PM
Seriously why all the grief?

Its not like this bill has a legal means to address all the millions of BB guns and pellet guns already out there that are painted black just like 99% of all the other guns out there.

aklover_91
05-25-2011, 7:49 PM
Seriously why all the grief?

Its not like this bill has a legal means to address all the millions of BB guns and pellet guns already out there that are painted black just like 99% of all the other guns out there.
Because, shocker, you might want a new one sometime.

missiondude
05-25-2011, 7:58 PM
So the unintended consequence of this will be police trained not to shoot people holding brightly painted "toy" guns. Some scumbag wants to shoot a cop to get his jollies, so he paints his Glock hi-vis yellow...:rolleyes:

sd_shooter
05-25-2011, 8:00 PM
Can you even imagine this beauty painted yellow? :(

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Baikal/IZH46M.gif

LiquidFlorian
05-25-2011, 8:35 PM
I have a Tokyo Marui G3 that I customized with a real wood furniture kit, and I'll move to Texas before I have to paint it pink or orange.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n218/liquidflorian/trio_g3.jpg

ColdDeadHands1
05-25-2011, 8:40 PM
They can kiss my A##!

Here's mine, Hammerli 850 AirMagnum. It has an 8 shot rotating magazine and is fun as all get out to shoot!

http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/zoomed/Hammerli-850-AirMagnum-Combo_HA-2251002_rifle_zm1.jpg

http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/zoomed/Hammerli-850-AirMagnum-Combo_HA-2251002_rifle_zm5.jpg

Wherryj
05-26-2011, 7:38 AM

Great, I went with Airsoft GI even before seeing your post. That makes me feel better about the choice.

What do you think about these two models? They are the ones that I picked up:
G&G GR16-R4
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_107&products_id=3029
G&G PM5-A4
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_107&products_id=2682

GettoPhilosopher
05-26-2011, 9:45 AM
I've never gone wrong with g&g. They originally had some design problems way back, but they cleaned up quick to one of the best.

And I still get my "holy **** you've spent a ton of money with us" discount there. I buy Condor tactical gear (pouches, etc) still.

Great, I went with Airsoft GI even before seeing your post. That makes me feel better about the choice.

What do you think about these two models? They are the ones that I picked up:
G&G GR16-R4
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_107&products_id=3029
G&G PM5-A4
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_107&products_id=2682

Fissssh
05-26-2011, 9:47 AM
Rather sylish don't cha think....

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/1721/pink-ryder.jpg

Infantry H2
05-26-2011, 11:01 AM

This is so true. Criminals are going to study the Technique Tactic Procedures of the good guys. I feel sorry for the LEOs out there who think that the real 5.56 AR15 painted pink in the arms of a criminal is a toy. They have to think it over more than twice.
Is it a fake/toy painted pink?
Is it a real rifle painted pink?
Is it a real AR rifle?
Is it a fake/toy painted black?

Bullets fly faster than you can process these questions.
It's effin lawmakers who will never have to ask these questions that make this stuff up as the next "great" law.

Dark Paladin
05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
It's effin lawmakers who will never have to ask these questions that make this stuff up as the next "great" law.

So. . . you need to remember that it was Chief Beck of LAPD that proposed this. Senator De Leon shares only half the blame on this particular piece of legislative garbage.

CHS
05-26-2011, 11:41 AM
So. . . you need to remember that it was Chief Beck of LAPD that proposed this.

So, has anyone asked Chief Beck just how STUPID he thinks his officers are? Does he really think his officers are stupid enough to just start assuming overnight that a brightly colored gun is never a threat?

Scratch705
05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
i'm waiting till another shooting, but this time it involves one of the newly painted pink, orange, green gun. (real or fake)

wonder what will be the arguments then...

Ctwo
05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
i'm waiting till another shooting, but this time it involves one of the newly painted pink, orange, green gun. (real or fake)

wonder what will be the arguments then...

That all guns are evil and should be banned...

My local code appears to have made suction cup dart guns illegal to operate, even in your home...no slingshots either...

loose_electron
05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
That all guns are evil and should be banned...

My local code appears to have made suction cup dart guns illegal to operate, even in your home...no slingshots either...

Remember Jarts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts

CHS
05-26-2011, 12:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts

True Story:

About 10 years ago, a bunch of friends of mine and I threw a massive 4th of July party at our house in Garden Grove. We had a lawn dart game running almost continuously in the front yard during the daylight hours.

At one point, the police came because we were loud (on 4th of July, I know), gave us a small warning (you could tell they were annoyed that someone was calling in noise complaints during the day on the 4th of freaking July) and then just sort of hung out for a while. Then a couple of them picked up the lawn darts and played a game together.

California Major
05-26-2011, 1:20 PM
Welcome to California...Even our pellet guns are gay!

woods
05-26-2011, 1:47 PM
Did they just declassify pellet guns and make them toys? Ever see the Gamo video of hog hunting with a pellet gun? Ever see a .458 buffalo airgun that has almost as much power as a 45-70?

If those are immitation guns then so is my AR15.

What a dangerous law. Kids will see the colors and think toy.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Fissssh
05-26-2011, 3:42 PM
Well, UPS just dropped off 4 of these.........

"Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time".

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/1721/medium/red_ryder_ad.jpg

Ralphie...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0082526/

CHS
05-26-2011, 3:46 PM

"Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time".

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

:)

bigcalidave
05-26-2011, 3:54 PM
Another nonsense law. I'm positive that after they made the orange tip rules, I received an airsoft rifle from Japan that came with an orange tip and clear instructions on how to not wash the orange tip with warm soapy water or else the color may come off. Is there provision in the proposed law to prevent easily removable paint?

Ctwo
05-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Big 5 is having a BB gun clearance sale...

aklover_91
05-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Wait, the law specifically says must be painted for any commercial use in California, right?

Won't this just mean we have to mail order from out of state now?

Still a pisser, but not quite the end of the world.

ColdDeadHands1
05-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm sure the out of state vendors will cease selling to us. Just like they do in every other instance of stupid gun laws passed in this state.

iWANNA50cal
05-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Can you imagine these beauts neon orange or pink?

:puke:

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/5737178/640/5737178.jpg

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5737180/640/5737180.jpg

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/5737169/640/5737169.jpg

Ctwo
05-27-2011, 6:25 AM
Wait, the law specifically says must be painted for any commercial use in California, right?

Won't this just mean we have to mail order from out of state now?

Still a pisser, but not quite the end of the world.

It would be illegal to transport since it's for commercial purposes. It would also be illegal to receive.

Wherryj
05-27-2011, 7:51 AM
You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

:)

"Oh my god, I shot my eye out!"

Wherryj
05-27-2011, 7:54 AM
Can you imagine these beauts neon orange or pink?

:puke:

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/5737178/640/5737178.jpg

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5737180/640/5737180.jpg

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/5737169/640/5737169.jpg

No, and neither can DeLeon. That is precisely the idea. If they are required to be pink, people won't want them. If people don't want them, they fall out of the "norm".

"Denormalizing" guns is the current tactic for the antis in their quest to turn the tide. There are too many people who aren't drinking the Kool-aid.

Wherryj
05-27-2011, 1:48 PM

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/1721/medium/red_ryder_ad.jpg

Ralphie...

$2.95? Is that sale still good? Do you think that Airsoft GI will match that price if I show them the flyer...?

dantodd
05-27-2011, 2:24 PM
It would be illegal to transport since it's for commercial purposes. It would also be illegal to receive.

I am no so sure about that. This was one of the approaches to attacking AB962.

luckystrike
05-27-2011, 9:12 PM
its not about the bright colors clearly identifying them as fake guns, its %100 about making people not want them. remember when you were 10 and didnt want ANYTHING that was pink just because it was pink? no kid wants a pink airsoft gun

PandaLuv
05-27-2011, 9:17 PM
So if I paint my actual p226 in pink, I won't get shot by police?

Their logic doesn't make any sense. I don't care if you are a child or a retard, you don't point even a water gun at cops.

CHS
05-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Correct.

At least, that's the logic behind the bill.

LOC of pink pistols for everyone if this passes.

SixPointEight
05-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Big 5 is having a BB gun clearance sale...

Are they really? I may have to pick myself up a new toy

bUm805
05-28-2011, 1:27 AM
Got a call from one of my suppliers today (Tippmann) saying that I might need to ship my stock back and will receive colored Paintball guns in exchange.

Then other calls from Dye, Planet Eclipse, etc.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thought it was just Airsoft and BB / Pellet guns but I guess Paintball guns are included as well.

RRangel
05-28-2011, 3:59 AM
"Every time they make a joke it's a law, and every time they make a law it's a joke." - Will Rogers

That's probably because the people creating these laws are nothing but a bunch of anti-freedom clowns. I should start a side business selling Gun Paint.

compulsivegunbuyer
05-28-2011, 9:25 AM
It's just going to put airsoft out of business in California.

RMP91
05-28-2011, 2:24 PM
Don't throw in the towel just yet gentlemen!

It may have passed the senate, but it's not the law until the Governor signs it (it vetoes it).

Start emailing Governor Brown, tell him that banning black airsoft guns will further deteriorate our economy than it already is! Jobs will be lost, livelihoods will be lost, and worst of all, hobbies will be lost! And it would pave the way towards even more restrictive firearm laws!

Wernher von Browning
05-28-2011, 4:05 PM
Ralphie...

Don't forget "Ralphie's" (Peter Billingsley's) role as the Beef Jerky Vigilante on Sherman Oaks --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svu6k2cboy4

Somehow, that Red Ryder Range Model etc. etc. seems to have gotten him typecast.

javalos
05-29-2011, 7:13 AM
I work in the Airsoft industry. I would say 95% of the nation's airsoft supply comes from California. This bill will effectively put thousands of people out of jobs, and cost the state millions in tax revenue.

Many airsoft businesses and importers/distributors will shut down, or downsize and relocate out of state. I fear the latter isn't an option for most.

That is why this state is as broke as joke because of Marxist politicians like DeLeon. I don't blame businesses for picking up and leaving this state.

Flogger23m
05-29-2011, 4:24 PM
This is lame. I was thinking of getting an airgun to shoot in the backyard.

Guess I should go pick one up before they look so ugly.

Wherryj
06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
its not about the bright colors clearly identifying them as fake guns, its %100 about making people not want them. remember when you were 10 and didnt want ANYTHING that was pink just because it was pink? no kid wants a pink airsoft gun

This is precisely the motive. The antis have decided that they are losing the war for the minds of the people. Polls that I see show that the majority support the right to own arms, even if the individual doesn't personally want to own one.

There was an article posted on these forums about how the UK went from very supportive of firearms at the turn of the last century to an almost absolute ban within about 50 years. It was mostly the process to "denormalize" firearms.

I believe that is what we're seeing with all of these attempts to ban minors with water pistols (Hawaii) and ludicrous colors for BB/airsoft guns. What adult wants a water pistol (it will drastically reduce sales) and who wants a pink AK47?

It clearly has little to do with protecting either officers or kids from these unfortunate shootings. Any officer willing to ignore a brightly colored object that LOOKS like a gun and is pointed their way is probably just about to get his widow a nice pension.

Wherryj
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Don't throw in the towel just yet gentlemen!

It may have passed the senate, but it's not the law until the Governor signs it (it vetoes it).

Start emailing Governor Brown, tell him that banning black airsoft guns will further deteriorate our economy than it already is! Jobs will be lost, livelihoods will be lost, and worst of all, hobbies will be lost! And it would pave the way towards even more restrictive firearm laws!

I'm hoping that he'll veto it, but I'm not counting on it. It is too easy to spin this as a "it's to protect the children" law and too easy for the media to spin it into "Jerry Brown wants to kill kids-he didn't sign this wonderful piece of legislation" story.

If you wait until he signs it, I'm afraid that you may find that prices have surged in anticipation of the last few sales before the start of the dark times-or should I say neon bright times?

Wherryj
06-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Their logic doesn't make any sense. I don't care if you are a child or a retard, you don't point even a water gun at cops.

I have a just turned 6 year old that knows not to point his neon orange, obviously oversized cowboy six shooter at anyone-including his brother. What ever happened to the idea of actually educating people instead of making ineffective feel good laws in an attempt to protect everyone from themselves?

It's a pretty cool little item-shoots infrared beams (like a remote control) at a log and target gallery to knock over targets and keeps score. The beam is narrow enough to almost approximate having to aim properly to hit. The items didn't sell well here in the SF bay, so we found them on super clearance at a local store.

rodeoflyer
06-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Rather sylish don't cha think....

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/1721/pink-ryder.jpg

God Dammit. Now the wifey will want one. :mad:

(There's already a pink 10/22 and a pink AR in my safe...

When I was a kid me and my buddies bought the neon colored ones because they were cheaper. We then sprayed them black with rattle cans....;)

I bought myself a Red Ryder Carbine the other day.

Texas Boy
06-02-2011, 5:13 PM
There was an article posted on these forums about how the UK went from very supportive of firearms at the turn of the last century to an almost absolute ban within about 50 years. It was mostly the process to "denormalize" firearms.

If you have a link, I think that would be a very educational read.

I agree, we must keep firearms "normal" and "common" if we are going to stand any chance of keeping this fundamental right.

The 2011 CA legislative session is starting to look very bad....pink air guns, rifle ammo is now handgun ammo is now armor piercing is now banned, long gun registration, open carry ban, expanded school zones. Did I forget anything? As far as I know ALL of these are still alive and moving forward. The votes are certainly there to pass them too...so we have to hope they can be blocked by filibuster and procedure (amend, send back to other house, etc), or veto. Taking these down in the courts is expensive, slow, and risky.

Swiss
06-02-2011, 6:51 PM
A Deputy Chief, a District Captain, and the Sgt. in charge of use-of-force policy at RPD have all told me that gang bangers are painting their weapons in bright colors to make cops and other victims hesitate.

Bottom line: a brightly colored weapon, furtively drawn or otherwise displayed, will not change use of force policy in any way. An officer has 1.5 seconds to recognize that a threat exists and 1.5 seconds to respond before he or she doesn't make it home. This is from a Department that has an outstanding record of restraint when it comes to officer-involved shootings.

fuenstock
06-02-2011, 7:24 PM
A Deputy Chief, a District Captain, and the Sgt. in charge of use-of-force policy at RPD have all told me that gang bangers are painting their weapons in bright colors to make cops and other victims hesitate.

Bottom line: a brightly colored weapon, furtively drawn or otherwise displayed, will not change use of force policy in any way. An officer has 1.5 seconds to recognize that a threat exists and 1.5 seconds to respond before he or she doesn't make it home. This is from a Department that has an outstanding record of restraint when it comes to officer-involved shootings.

I think you are correct when you say leo's will still use deadly force when someone points a neon gun at them. I also think this will open them up to law suits when a kid gets shot for pointing a neon toy gun at a cop and ends up dead. They will say the leo should have known it was a toy because of its loud color. Criminals are the only ones that will benifit from this stupid law. They will try to make the cops hesitate with a neon gun.

tetris
06-03-2011, 6:15 AM
This BB gun "ban" is the last straw for me, and cements my intention never to move back to California after graduation. I honestly never thought it would come to this. I though they would ban handguns long before they started to destroy air guns. Now they have taken away a big part of my childhood, that I want my children to experience.

Plus, the most ironic and insulting thing about this law is how absolutely, pathetically, boneheaded it is. What is a cop supposed to do--not shoot somebody pointing an orange gun at them??

How much worse can it get in this state? Income tax is already more than double AZ and most other states. Sales tax has gone through the roof. Do you need any more reasons not to live here??

Plus, the whole jobs argument for living in CA is a big crock. Facebook and Google employ fewer people per dollar of market capitalization than any other company. A 15 minute search will reveal countless Lockheed, Honeywell, Intel, IBM, GE, etc. $100K+ jobs all over the country in states with liberal gun laws and 1/2 the cost of living.

Wherryj
06-03-2011, 7:25 AM
This BB gun "ban" is the last straw for me, and cements my intention never to move back to California after graduation. I honestly never thought it would come to this. I though they would ban handguns long before they started to destroy air guns. Now they have taken away a big part of my childhood, that I want my children to experience.

Plus, the most ironic and insulting thing about this law is how absolutely, pathetically, boneheaded it is. What is a cop supposed to do--not shoot somebody pointing an orange gun at them??

How much worse can it get in this state? Income tax is already more than double AZ and most other states. Sales tax has gone through the roof. Do you need any more reasons not to live here??

Plus, the whole jobs argument for living in CA is a big crock. Facebook and Google employ fewer people per dollar of market capitalization than any other company. A 15 minute search will reveal countless Lockheed, Honeywell, Intel, IBM, GE, etc. $100K+ jobs all over the country in states with liberal gun laws and 1/2 the cost of living.

California is blessed by its geographical location. If it wasn't for the mild climate there would most likely be a long-term net emigration. That or we wouldn't have such repressive government.

I have a very distinct feeling that politicians in this state fully realize how bad the taxes/laws/regulations, etc. are in CA, but think that people will still HAVE to live here because it is so wonderful.

tetris
06-03-2011, 9:36 PM
I have a very distinct feeling that politicians in this state fully realize how bad the taxes/laws/regulations, etc. are in CA, but think that people will still HAVE to live here because it is so wonderful.

Thats what they want you to believe, but living for 10 years now out of the state has taught me that its mostly lies. My parents have lived their entire lives in CA, and think the same way. But actually, there are some places in the US that compare very favorably to So Cal. New Mexico and northern parts of AZ come to mind.

Yeah, the weather is a little better, but I'm not willing to give up financial stability and home ownership just to get a little more temperate climate.

mag360
06-04-2011, 4:31 AM
assuming i found a job that gave me a similiar standard of living (wouldn't have to be equal to what I get now) I'd be up for moving away. For as much as I could save in other states, I could take vacations here and enjoy the nice parts of the state at the times I would normally enjoy them. Southern california in early summer, the desert in winter, and lake tahoe in winter. Living in Sacramento I miss out on the year round beautiful weather that coastal so-cal gets.

Too bad only artists and trust fund twerps live in places like Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, huntington beach, laguna beach, newport beach.

ptoguy2002
06-04-2011, 5:48 AM
Did the governor sign this?

sneaker pimp
06-04-2011, 6:17 AM

I think you should stay and make a difference. The idiots who have made California difficult to live in are everywhere but they have not been successful everywhere. Stop them here or they will follow you. I think things have gotten better for gun owners in general in the past couple of years.

pieeater
06-04-2011, 6:39 AM
Almost every house in the state has a red ryder in the closet just like every teenager has an airsoft. If they can pass this they can pass ANYTHING.

Flogger23m
06-04-2011, 1:41 PM
The 2011 CA legislative session is starting to look very bad....pink air guns, rifle ammo is now handgun ammo is now armor piercing is now banned, long gun registration, open carry ban, expanded school zones. Did I forget anything? As far as I know ALL of these are still alive and moving forward. The votes are certainly there to pass them too...so we have to hope they can be blocked by filibuster and procedure (amend, send back to other house, etc), or veto. Taking these down in the courts is expensive, slow, and risky.

I thought that died? :(

I just got myself an airgun just incase.

steelrain82
06-04-2011, 1:54 PM
Does this affect paintball markers that are not made to resemble milsim. Such as Ego's and DM's, Droids and other non-milsim markers.

donw
06-04-2011, 4:41 PM
I thought they cared about the support of their union at least, if not the individuals. You'd think their union would have an interest in not getting officers killed when a criminal paints their gun bright purple.

don't assume...legislators do not think like rational people; they've elevated themselves to deity status and DO NOT like to be challenged or reasoned with...

CHS
06-04-2011, 9:12 PM
Does this affect paintball markers that are not made to resemble milsim. Such as Ego's and DM's, Droids and other non-milsim markers.

If not, don't worry, they'll be next.

DanDaDude102
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Airsoft is going to suck now

Scratch705
06-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Airsoft is going to suck now

wonder if this means my guns will be worth more now since they won't be bright colored?

iWANNA50cal
06-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh gawd, can you image playing an airsoft milsim game in the woods or desert, decked out in either woodland or tricolor desert and having your neon gun stick out like a sore thumb?

I has a sad.

TestaRossa
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Stock up on pre-ban receivers anyone?:D

steelrain82
06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
If and when this passes how long would it be until it takes affect.

jigenax
06-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Not sure if anyone here mentioned it before but this bill also affects paintball markers. I received a few emails from several paintball vendors about it. The Mil-Sims demographic is a pretty big chunk of the paintball industry. And when you factor in the other industries (uniforms, tactical gear, paintball parks, major events, etc) that supports the Mil-Sim market, the cascading effect can be devastating if this bill becomes law.

Super Spy
06-06-2011, 8:58 AM
What a bunch of BS, I was going to buy real guns, but I guess I'm buying a Red Ryder for my son and a Sheridan for me.....before they are all pink with polka dots.....

blahblah
06-10-2011, 8:07 AM
I just called my representative and told their assistant that this idea sounds very dangerous to me... that I try to teach my kids that BB are NOT toys and should be treated carefully. They in fact ARE NOT toys; they are potentially injurious weapons, and should not be painted like toys.

Courtesy of the NRA, here are the emails and phone numbers:

Assembly Public Safety Committee

Tom Ammiano (D-13), Chairman
(916) 319-2013
assemblymember.ammiano@assembly.ca.gov

Steve Knight (R-36), Vice Chairman
(916) 319-2036
assemblymember.knight@assembly.ca.gov

Gilbert Cedillo (D-45)
(916) 319-2045
assemblymember.cedillo@assembly.ca.gov

Curt Hagman (R-60)
(916) 319-2060
assemblymember.hagman@assembly.ca.gov

Jerry Hill (D-19)
(916) 319-2019
assemblymember.hill@assembly.ca.gov

Holly J. Mitchell (D-47)
(916) 319-2047
assemblymember.mitchell@assembly.ca.gov

Nancy Skinner (D-14)
(916) 319-2014
assemblymember.skinner@assembly.ca.gov

Sillyguy
06-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Hey Guys

So SB 798 is going up for reconsideration on July 5th. It was already voted against a couple weeks ago, but De Leon has the right to re-amend this bill and put it up for consideration.

We need everyone's help to oppose it!

Check out the facebook page for more info:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-On-California-SB-798/220859654597216

I've been writing letters and making phone calls to our state representatives politely opposing this bill.

The phone calls literally take seconds to do.

Thanks guys for all the help and support!

MasterYong
08-24-2011, 2:31 PM
Did the governor sign this?

I would like to know this as well.

Did this die? What's the status? I looked at the CALIFORNIA 2011 thread by Librarian, but all it does is point back here.....

Uxi
08-24-2011, 2:40 PM
Looks like:

2011-08-18 - Read third time and amended. Ordered to third reading. Re-referred to Com. on PUB. S. pursuant to Assembly Rule 77.2.

donw
08-24-2011, 3:02 PM

this makes a great deal of sense...but look who authored it and who approved it...an out of control legislature.

what's gonna happen the first time one of those LEO's "Draws and fires" on a pink BB gun as they claim they will/would? can we put Deleon on trial for authoring such a travesty?

Chosen_1
08-24-2011, 3:08 PM
It looks like an amendment was added to exempt any replica that fires a projectile 16mm or larger (paintballs). It still restricts airsoft, and therefore needs to be destroyed.

BlindRacer
08-24-2011, 3:09 PM
Looks like:

2011-08-18 - Read third time and amended. Ordered to third reading. Re-referred to Com. on PUB. S. pursuant to Assembly Rule 77.2.

I'm sorry, but...huh? :confused:

jwkincal
08-24-2011, 3:17 PM
Legislators can't count any higher than three.

diginit
08-24-2011, 4:22 PM
Stupid. Our legislature has hit a new low of ignorance. A 22 cal. pellet at 800 FPS is a weapon. Not a toy. If someone aimed it at me, I would return fire. Just because it is pink doesn't mean it is not a 30-06. Jeese... More proof that Kevin De Leon is an idiot. 1 out of 25 million people get hurt, And idiots make the cause illegal. If Leon got attacked by a housecat...Then kittens will be illegal. They are extreamely dangerous... Especially when wet and should be banned...

stitchnicklas
08-25-2011, 1:55 PM
bill will die,no way in hell you can make all the airsoft owners throw their guns away along with all the firearm owners with colored guns...

easy 2A victory in courts

Uxi
08-25-2011, 2:00 PM
I'm sorry, but...huh? :confused:

Looked like a punt to me. Will be running against the clock...

G17GUY
08-26-2011, 2:04 PM
Man robs Ceres market with gun and pink Taser

http://www.modbee.com/2011/08/25/1830467/man-robs-ceres-market-with-gun.html

Zues
08-28-2011, 2:41 PM
So did this Pass? I cant find anything conferming or denieing it.

Anchors
08-28-2011, 3:43 PM
Isn't this more of a First Amendment issue?

mag360
08-29-2011, 8:38 AM
The word on the street is that all of DeLeon's bills are going to die this year because he did not support speaker Perez' vernon bill.

darkwater
09-07-2011, 7:46 AM
CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.B. No. 798
AUTHOR(S) : De León.
TOPIC : Imitation firearms: regulation.
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 08/18/2011

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Non-Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 09/06/2011
LAST HIST. ACTION : Set, final hearing. Failed passage in committee.
Returned to Chief Clerk pursuant to Joint Rule 62(a).
COMM. LOCATION : ASM PUBLIC SAFETY
COMM. ACTION DATE : 09/06/2011
COMM. ACTION : Set, final hearing. Failed passage.

TITLE : An act to repeal and add Section 53071.5 of the
Government Code, relating to imitation firearms.

Caladain
09-07-2011, 7:59 AM
Dead then?

LiquidFlorian
09-07-2011, 8:07 AM
Do we have confirmation?

I open carry
09-07-2011, 8:17 AM
SB 798 is DEAD (coloring of guns, airsoft ext). You can thank Sam Paredes of Gun Owners of CA for defending the rights! 2 yes, 2 no, 2 not voting killed the bill!
as reported at 7 pm last night from the Capt.
today's link to the Bill below

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/sen/sb_0751-0800/sb_798_bill_20110906_status.html

curtisfong
09-07-2011, 8:35 AM
An actual legislative victory! I'd never thought we'd see the day.

stix213
09-07-2011, 8:56 AM
woot!

Fictitious Simily
09-07-2011, 9:07 AM
Someone should fix the thread title

GOEX FFF
09-07-2011, 9:07 AM
Thank you Sam Paredes!!
Thanks to all that voiced their opposition!

I was having visions if this bill passed, of some new law making it illegal to have a can of black spray paint and a neon BB gun in the same vicinity. :rolleyes:

Zartan
09-07-2011, 9:31 AM
Beautiful!

Crom
09-07-2011, 9:36 AM
The OP has been PM'd to edit thread title, that is if a Mod doesn't do it sooner...

Paladin
09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
The OP has been PM'd to edit thread title, that is if a Mod doesn't do it sooner...
Decided to go online and what do I see . . . a RKBA political victory! :party:

EVERYONE needs to take just 2 minutes to call Jerry Brown now at 916-445-2841 and respectfully request that he veto SB 819 (diverting DROS fees for other uses -- http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7050), and sign SB 610 (CCW/LTC standardization bill -- http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7055).

We need more political victories to go w/judicial victories. Let's make 2011-12 an AWESOME year!

Thx for the PM, Crom. I'll edit the title now.

dotalchemy
09-07-2011, 1:24 PM
Funny, I just got an email yesterday from Assemblyman Mike Gatto, thanking me for writing and urging to oppose.

Pleased to see it died though.

Fate
09-07-2011, 2:15 PM
Good to see DeLeon's ego take one in the shorts (again!).

1911su16b870
09-07-2011, 2:59 PM
Would someone polite and knowledgeable please extend a hand and kind words to the bill's author to stop tweaking with shooting sports laws?

Markinsac
09-07-2011, 3:05 PM
Unfortunately, AB 1402 got passed - they added a clause to remove the state occupying the whole field of regulation where it pertains to "imitation firearms" - it has been enrolled and sent to the Governor's office.

The way I read it, the bill will allow local municipalities to create their own rules regarding imitation firearms.

Dutch3
09-07-2011, 3:46 PM
The way I read it, the bill will allow local municipalities to create their own rules regarding imitation firearms.

Passing the buck, make it somebody else's problem. Not surprising.

dantodd
09-07-2011, 3:50 PM
Unfortunately, AB 1402 got passed - they added a clause to remove the state occupying the whole field of regulation where it pertains to "imitation firearms" - it has been enrolled and sent to the Governor's office.

That's bad news. Previously we had really good preemption laws. I doubt the governor will veto but it could be justified saying that allowing every municipality to have different laws will make it too difficult for people to follow the laws.

Wherryj
09-07-2011, 4:02 PM

...and well they should. An officer that assumes that an object pointed at them is not a threat merely based on color will likely not live to see retirement.

Wherryj
09-07-2011, 4:11 PM
looks like my sons first gun wont be a BB gun , but instead a .22.

My first was a .243 Winchester, although I've already "taken care of" my two sons with respect to the Airsoft matter.

Anyone else thinking that there will be a new CA "pre-ban" category?

Wherryj
09-07-2011, 4:13 PM

Give him credit. DeLeon wasn't half bad at increasing internet amno sales either.

Cali-Shooter
09-07-2011, 7:10 PM
In your Douchebag face, De Leon.

Ubermcoupe
09-07-2011, 7:13 PM
CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : S.B. No. 798
AUTHOR(S) : De León.
TOPIC : Imitation firearms: regulation.
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 08/18/2011

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Non-Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 09/06/2011
LAST HIST. ACTION : Set, final hearing. Failed passage in committee.
Returned to Chief Clerk pursuant to Joint Rule 62(a).
COMM. LOCATION : ASM PUBLIC SAFETY
COMM. ACTION DATE : 09/06/2011
COMM. ACTION : Set, final hearing. Failed passage.

TITLE : An act to repeal and add Section 53071.5 of the
Government Code, relating to imitation firearms.

:party: Finally...

Markinsac
09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
That's bad news. Previously we had really good preemption laws. I doubt the governor will veto but it could be justified saying that allowing every municipality to have different laws will make it too difficult for people to follow the laws.AB 1402 was signed by the Governor - most of the bill probably considered good, but the clause about "imitation fireams" is going to cause problems.

vincnet11
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
That's bad news. Previously we had really good preemption laws. I doubt the governor will veto but it could be justified saying that allowing every municipality to have different laws will make it too difficult for people to follow the laws.So a City can make it illegal to shoot airsoft or bb guns in your backyard or house?

socal2310
09-13-2011, 6:31 AM
So a City can make it illegal to shoot airsoft or bb guns in your backyard or house?

A lot of cities already have such ordinances on their books. Of course, the reason there are so few arrests or prosecutions for violations may be the knowledge that the ordinance was illegal...

California may have preemption, but it's "soft" preemption (as opposed to the new Florida law that actually has teeth). I have yet to see the DOJ take a county or municipality to task for those regulations (though they were vulnerable to civil suits - NRA vs. SF Housing Authority).

Ryan

blahblah
09-13-2011, 11:08 PM
So a City can make it illegal to shoot airsoft or bb guns in your backyard or house?

They not only can but do! My last home, it was a "firearm offense" to shoot a BB gun in the backyard. I did it anyway, but I stacked all the patio furniture to form a concealed bunker from the neighbors.