PDA

View Full Version : Browning BPS

FatKatMatt
11-12-2006, 8:02 PM
My mom is feeling unusally generous and so I went down to Bullseye in San Rafael today to buy a shotgun. What really caught my eye was a Browning BPS in mossy oak break up. I liked the bottom ejection feature and it fit me well. I had a nice talk with an older shooter there and by the time we finished the store had closed, so I didn't have time to get anything. What I'm asking is if anyone has handled the BPS and if it is worth the extra money to get one?

Jupiter
11-12-2006, 9:11 PM
BPS are crap. The one I used had the bolt shoot through the back of the reciever.

-hanko
11-13-2006, 12:49 PM
BPS are crap. The one I used had the bolt shoot through the back of the reciever.
I have 3, none have shot the bolt through the back of the receiver...known problem, should I worry??:D

IMO, smoother than rem or moss pump guns, but more money. Almost as slick as an Ithaca.

-hanko

FatKatMatt
11-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Sounds good to me, willing to spend a little extra for quality. Nothing better than a browning :)

Gnote
11-13-2006, 6:27 PM
Normally you can't go wrong with a Browning or a Beretta.

DDs Ranch
11-14-2006, 3:21 AM

We have never had a BPS come back to us.

WolfMansDad
11-14-2006, 10:05 AM
I hunt with a BPS (20 gauge, upland special). Mine is an extremely tough shotgun that has tolerated a lot of abuse, and it has (mostly) retained that fine browning finish. I like it because it is light enough to carry all day, and the action is very smooth. Also, I like the tang safety. That's just where a shotgun safety should be!

There are two downsides, both related to its size and weight. First, even though it is a 20, it's recoil is more unpleasant than most 12s. It is a very light gun with a hard plastic buttplate. This is a minor issue for me, since I typically don't shoot more than three or four times in the course of a day's hunt. Second, the barrel is kind of "whippy," mostly because it is only 22 inches on the upland special. Again, this is a minor issue to me, because you almost never need to lead a bird in upland shooting. In fact, with practice, the short, whippy barrel allows you to get on target much more quickly than with a longer barrel. But this does require practice.

If you get a longer-barrelled model (26 inches or more) with a recoil pad, all of these issues should go away. Oh, and I do love the bottom eject. Keeps dirt, rain, and dog slobber out of the action, and it drops empties at my feet where I can pick them up. Also, my youngest son (the WolfMan) is a left-handed shooter, so he can use it as well.

Overkill
11-14-2006, 10:32 AM
My father has a BPS. It has been an excellent, rugged shotgun. He has abused his, an it has held up well. I'm currently in the process of refinishig it for him.

One thing that I've read- the BPS is a bit difficult when compared to other pumps to completely take apart and put back together. Now, I just disassembled my dads, and it was fairly simple. However, I haven't put it back together yet. If you are concerned about being able to disassemble your gun simply, you may want to look elsewhere. If you don't mind a challenge, this may be the gun for you.

One thing is for sure, my dad's gun is VERY smooth.

Vigilante
11-15-2006, 5:37 PM
I have had my BPS for over 10 years and I love it. It's the best pump action shotgun made today in my opinion.