PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronunciate "Garand"

gloxter
10-24-2006, 7:13 PM
I've heard the History Channel on "History of the Gun" pronounce it one way, and the rest of the world pronounced it another way. Unfortunately, it seems that either the History Channel is wrong, which I doubt, or the common pronunciation has been bastardized.

I am neither a cunning linguist, nor a phoneticist. Is it "gair-und" or "guhr-and"?

Many thanks to those that carried it in battle, and props to those that carry on the tradition of shooting it with the respect it so deserves.

Respectfully,

-gloxter

Blue
10-24-2006, 7:20 PM
I guess I say it "guhr-and". Alot of my buddies call them "Grands" though :p

bu-bye
10-24-2006, 7:21 PM
Gair-and is the correct way to say it. Most people say guhr-and though. I used to say it that way until i learned the correct way.

blkA4alb
10-24-2006, 7:27 PM
I've always said guh-rand.

ivanimal
10-24-2006, 7:52 PM
I say Ga-rand:cool:

BamBam-31
10-24-2006, 7:57 PM
For some reason, it's said that Garand is supposed to be pronounced like "parent." One ends with a -d, and the other ends with a -t, however.

I like to think the correct pronunciation has Garand sounding like "errand."

ohsmily
10-24-2006, 7:57 PM
I say pronounce.

P.S. Guh - rand

gloxter
10-24-2006, 8:14 PM
I say pronounce.

P.S. Guh - rand

The History Channel's interview with the family must have had it wrong. They pronounced it "gaihr undh".

much love

WallySparx
10-24-2006, 8:18 PM
i learned it as gair-end.

while on the topic of m-1s, does anyone have any idea where one might be able to buy a kit with all the parts but the receiver? for whatever reason i've been toying with the idea of building up one of these ancient beasts of battle.

Blue
10-24-2006, 8:20 PM
i learned it as gair-end.

while on the topic of m-1s, does anyone have any idea where one might be able to buy a kit with all the parts but the receiver? for whatever reason i've been toying with the idea of building up one of these ancient beasts of battle.

Seen a few at funshows but that's the only place I've seen them.

medic707
10-24-2006, 8:46 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/garand

looks like theres a few expectable ways ...I say "guh-rand"

NRAhighpowershooter should know how to pronounce it but when he says garand its plural hehe (hes got enough of em) hopefully he chimes in...

WallySparx
10-24-2006, 9:09 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/garand

looks like theres a few expectable ways ...I say "guh-rand"

NRAhighpowershooter should know how to pronounce it but when he says garand its plural hehe (hes got enough of em) hopefully he chimes in...
M-1  /ˈɛmˈwʌn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-wuhn]

at least this part i hope we can agree on!

NeoWeird
10-24-2006, 9:22 PM
That's funny, I've always pronounced it as "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! PING!"

ETA: For the parts kit, why not just buy one of those woodless Danish returns from the CMP, get a Boyds stock, and buy a new barrel for it and do all the work youself. If installing the barrel yourself isn't that big of a deal then just buy a woodless and buy a new stock and refinish as you see fit. It was used and abused by the Danish so if you refinish it it's not like you hurt an all American rifle; some other dirty Dane already did that, so why not help return it to it's original glory?

xenophobe
10-24-2006, 9:23 PM
How do you pronounce tomato? :p

NeoWeird
10-24-2006, 9:30 PM
How do you pronounce tomato? :p

"Dirty hippie get that crap away from me; if it wasn't breathing or beating at one point, I don't want it!"

metalhead357
10-24-2006, 10:15 PM

LOL! He'll say he pronounces it guhr-rand but it sounds more like Grand to me:p

But I must admit....my first thought was Who cares? He was Canadian!!!! [John C Garand that is- HPS is Cali I believe!] He was the last & only good thing to come outta there!!!! They still aint apologized enough for the Baldwins or Brian Adams:p [anyone anyone on the ref? lol?) So before ya' go ooot and aboot and look for the proper pronunciation; call me d' simpleton. We're here in Amer'ka' and its pronounced MMMMMMMM ONE m'kay?

M1A_KICHI
10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
always pronounced it as "guh-rand". Even if it isn't the right way to say it, people understand what you're talking about.

BamBam-31
10-24-2006, 10:52 PM
^^^ Bingo.^^^

chickenfried
10-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Well there's the correct way and the way everybody says it. I just say it the way everybody else says it. But I expected more of Ohsmily.

icormba
10-24-2006, 11:19 PM
How do I say GARAND?

"PING"

;)

xrMike
10-25-2006, 7:00 AM
I say pronounce.
Good for you, but "pronunciate" is also perfectly acceptable, although not as commonly used. Meaning = "to declare or pronounce".

You learned something new today.

gloxter
10-25-2006, 7:18 AM
Just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks for not flaming. Some of the posts were really amusing. I knew you guys would come through.

BTW, I agree that we should probably pronounce it the way the majority of people pronounce it.

It's sort of like doing battle with gun publications that are determined to coin autoloading rifles (semi) as "assault weapons" while the gun community to which we all belong frown on its use, or overuse.

Now, how the hell is it my bolt action .50 is an assault weapon????????

-gloxter

xenophobe
10-25-2006, 7:41 AM
"Dirty hippie get that crap away from me; if it wasn't breathing or beating at one point, I don't want it!"

I'm not a hippie, I'm a musician. :p

FatKatMatt
10-25-2006, 9:03 AM
Supposedly the correct way to say it is gerrand (like errand), i use guh-rand also. I like them both :)

MikeK
10-25-2006, 9:18 AM
Supposedly the correct way to say it is gerrand (like errand), i use guh-rand also. I like them both :)
Ah! But is it a G or J sound to go with "errand"? :D

PressCheck
10-25-2006, 9:29 AM
I say Ga-rand:cool:

Yup! I carried one for years.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
How do you pronounce Garand??? FUN!!!!!!!!!! :D

AxonGap
10-25-2006, 11:33 AM
No matter which way you say it it's still an incredible rifle!

VeryCoolCat
10-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Don't forget this gun is very old and used in mayn nations... since each nation has different pronunciations.

I've heard gar-rand, gar-rond (like in POND), and gar-end (french style).

halifax
10-25-2006, 2:08 PM
I like to think the correct pronunciation has Garand sounding like "errand."

This the way the Marines of WWII were told it was pronounced.

jerr-and