PDA

View Full Version : Canadian citizen applying for CCW in CA

vkosty
03-17-2011, 6:36 PM
Could not find anywhere if a legal immigrant, non-US citizen can apply for a CCW in CA.
Federal laws do not forbid that. However, different states have different views/laws.
For example, in NH I got in 4 days and $10 with filling in a 1-page form.
In NC only US citizens qualify.
Does anybody know or better yet, could point me to a specific document?
Thank you in advance

Quiet
03-17-2011, 6:39 PM
Are you currently living in CA?

Edit:
The standard CA DOJ CCW application asks if you are a US citizen and you need to bring in your birth certificate or naturalization paperwork.

hoffmang
03-17-2011, 7:51 PM
If you are a California resident, you are not disqualified from getting a 12050 license.

-Gene

IGOTDIRT4U
03-18-2011, 7:03 AM
Seems we have opposing opinions here.

wildhawker
03-18-2011, 7:16 AM
I disagree. The application has no force of law. We've raised this with many counties and have walked away with them changing their policy every time.

wildhawker
03-18-2011, 7:17 AM
*no force if law where not provided for in statute or case law.

M. D. Van Norman
03-18-2011, 7:48 AM
That would include all of this?

• Consume any alcoholic beverage.
• Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site
consumption.
• Be under the influence of any medication or drug, whether prescribed or not.

not-fishing
03-18-2011, 7:51 AM
I have a friend who I was unsure if he was a US Citizen asking about a CCW.

My big concern is that at least a US Citizen has some protection from a SF DA's persecution even if it's limited.

A non-US Citizen would run the risk of deportation. unless they come from south of the border

The good news is my friend does have US Citizenship - the bad news is the appointments to apply for a CCW in Sacramento County are now in the month of September.

Mesa Tactical
03-18-2011, 10:23 AM
My big concern is that at least a US Citizen has some protection from a SF DA's persecution even if it's limited.

A non-US Citizen would run the risk of deportation. unless they come from south of the border

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Everyone is the US is supposed to enjoy the same civil rights and due process, regardless of citizenship.

You will not find the world "citizen" anywhere in the Bill of Rights.

marc4
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Everyone is the US is supposed to enjoy the same civil rights and due process, regardless of citizenship.

You will not find the world "citizen" anywhere in the Bill of Rights.

Try applying for a Federal job and see if you don't get disqualified because you're not a citizen. Federal gov is one place that discriminates if you're not a US citizen.
It might not be all federal jobs that discriminate.

Mesa Tactical
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Try applying for a Federal job and see if you don't get disqualified because you're not a citizen.

That has nothing to do with due process.

dfletcher
03-18-2011, 11:54 AM
IIRC South Dakota was just on the losing end of a "no CCW for legal alien residents" lawsuit, yes?

press1280
03-18-2011, 3:26 PM
I have a friend who I was unsure if he was a US Citizen asking about a CCW.

The good news is my friend does have US Citizenship - the bad news is the appointments to apply for a CCW in Sacramento County are now in the month of September.

You mean the interviews? If that's the case I think something needs to be done about that. 6 months is way too long.