PDA

View Full Version : Nevada bill eases interstate gun sales.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 7:20 AM
AB217 repeals a section of state law that only allows such sales if the buyer and seller live in states adjacent to Nevada. The bill allows sales of rifles and shotguns between a resident of one state and a federally licensed firearms dealer in another state.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/27192202/detail.html

CHS
03-15-2011, 7:38 AM
AB217 repeals a section of state law that only allows such sales if the buyer and seller live in states adjacent to Nevada. The bill allows sales of rifles and shotguns between a resident of one state and a federally licensed firearms dealer in another state.

What?

That doesn't make ANY sense. That was already legal. Unless NV law specifically outlawed interstate transfers involving an FFL???

So what they're saying is before this bill NV residents could not just call up Buds Gun Shop to get a gun ordered/shipped into state? Or NV residents couldn't ship firearms to a dealer outside NV for sale?

I'm totally confused.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 7:40 AM
What?

That doesn't make ANY sense. That was already legal. Unless NV law specifically outlawed interstate transfers involving an FFL???

So what they're saying is before this bill NV residents could not just call up Buds Gun Shop to get a gun ordered/shipped into state? Or NV residents couldn't ship firearms to a dealer outside NV for sale?

I'm totally confused.

Nevada residence would be able to buy a rifle or shotgun in another state from a FFL. It wouldn't have to be transfered back into Nevada.

CHS
03-15-2011, 7:50 AM
Nevada residence would be able to buy a rifle or shotgun in another state from a FFL. It wouldn't have to be transfered back into Nevada.

Ok, now it makes more sense. So they removed a "Californication" from their laws :) Nice.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 7:54 AM
Ok, now it makes more sense. So they removed a "Californication" from their laws :) Nice.

Yeah. Hopefully CA will reach that point in my lifetime.

rromeo
03-15-2011, 7:57 AM
What?

I'm totally confused.

I take it that previously, a Nevada Resident could drive to Utah or Arizona and buy a firearm from an FFL, but they could not go to Colorado or Wyoming. Now they can.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 7:59 AM
I take it that previously, a Nevada Resident could drive to Utah or Arizona and buy a firearm from an FFL, but they could not go to Colorado or Wyoming. Now they can.

Yeah it says that in the article but it is short and I didn't know how much I could post. From what I understand a NV resident can buy a firearm in anystate where they transaction would be legal and not have to transfer it through a Nevada FFL. They were limited to states bordering NV.

PsychGuy274
03-15-2011, 8:35 AM
Yeah. Hopefully CA will reach that point in my lifetime.

If I was drinking milk, it would have shot out my nose.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 8:52 AM
If I was drinking milk, it would have shot out my nose.

Hey I am only 20 so it can happen.

CHS
03-15-2011, 9:01 AM
Hey I am only 20 so it can happen.

Correct. This is one of the cases that will lay the groundwork for it as well:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Dearth_v._Holder

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 9:16 AM

Sweet.

dfletcher
03-15-2011, 9:55 AM
So, a NV resident is in Alabama for example. Sees a long gun and does the 4473 - off he goes so long as he complies with AL law, which is probably pretty easy.

Now, I know the easy, immediate answer is "he can't do this in CA" but could CA be required, through the courts, to drop the obstacles preventing such a deal? Let's say the guy is willing to wait 10 days, has his two forms of residency or whatever else CA is requiring - can the buyer (if he wants to spend too much and wait too long) do the deal in CA?

Related question - if New Hampshire passed a law that said "any resident of another state can buy a long gun in NH so long as they satisfy a) our requirements and b) their state requirements what would have to be done for CA residents to buy? Make DROS available to all FFLs? Have CA FFLs in on the "out of state" deal?

Again, I realize the short answer is "can't get there" but what would have to happen for it to be done?

CHS
03-15-2011, 9:58 AM
Now, I know the easy, immediate answer is "he can't do this in CA" but could CA be required, through the courts, to drop the obstacles preventing such a deal? Let's say the guy is willing to wait 10 days, has his two forms of residency or whatever else CA is requiring - can the buyer (if he wants to spend too much and wait too long) do the deal in CA?

Nope.

CA only allows CA FFL's to transfer firearms to CA residents.

If someone is in CA and sees a gun they want, they can pay for it, but then they'll have see if the FFL will ship it to an FFL in their home state.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 1:53 PM
Nope.

CA only allows CA FFL's to transfer firearms to CA residents.

If someone is in CA and sees a gun they want, they can pay for it, but then they'll have see if the FFL will ship it to an FFL in their home state.

Is that because of the DROS 10 day wait or is it just the law?

CHS
03-15-2011, 2:31 PM
Is that because of the DROS 10 day wait or is it just the law?

That's the law.

Bhobbs
03-15-2011, 2:45 PM
That's the law.

Could the law be challenged on interstate commerce grounds?

CHS
03-15-2011, 2:52 PM
Could the law be challenged on interstate commerce grounds?

Quoted from this very thread:

Mssr. Eleganté
03-15-2011, 7:32 PM
The Gun Control Act of 1968 originally had the "contiguous State" restriction. In 1986 the law was changed to allow FFLs to sell long guns to residents of any State. (FFLs still had to follow the laws of both States.)

The funny thing is, ATF has said for years that FFLs don't have to pay any attention to "contiguous State" restrictions in State laws...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/tip-of-the-month-2010.html

Anchors
03-15-2011, 8:44 PM
The funny thing is, ATF has said for years that FFLs don't have to pay any attention to "contiguous State" restrictions in State laws...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/tip-of-the-month-2010.html

Hmm.
On paper it looks fine, but what if the state gets mad, pulls your business license (not FFL), and hits you with a bunch of BS fines/possible arrest?

gunsmith
03-15-2011, 11:48 PM
saw this on the news last night, funny thing is they said it involves shotguns and rifles but all they showed while talking about it was pistols. ABC I believe, not sure.