PDA

View Full Version : Owning firearms and living on state property

10fcp
03-07-2011, 2:11 PM
My search skills are a little suspect. I have a friend that lives on state property, a university to be exact. She's an employee not a student. Can she own a handgun for personel defence? Is there a law that can be referenced? Thank's much guy's.

paul0660
03-07-2011, 2:31 PM
Was discussed here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=405480

Short answer is no, unless she can get written permission from the University president.

10fcp
03-07-2011, 5:34 PM
It seems like most the people in that link are students living their. I guess it's pretty much the same though, I'm talking about a staff that permanently lives their. Lot's of housing is for staff on a permanent basis, hell even if they quit they can still pay the rent and live their. I'm sure there is no distunguishment between staff and students, living there is living there. I remember a while back that there was a case that alowed tenents of city or state property to own firearms, can't remember though.

taperxz
03-07-2011, 5:43 PM
Might need to ask the university. If you go to Stanford (private) They have an area bigger than most cities on the peninsula. Big houses and all that i believe are for staff members of the university and their families. I would have to think with a lease or rental agreement those "areas" may not be able to fall under university policy. I am not saying this for sure, but it would be worth looking into and finding out the arrangements of the rental/lease agreement.

creekside
03-07-2011, 7:11 PM
This will be addressed in the lease or rental agreement with respect to faculty housing.

Student housing, fergetaboutit.

crackerman
03-07-2011, 10:06 PM
My BIL lives in state housing provided by Fish and Game for his job, so yes you can have guns in state housing but at a school is prob a nogo.

hoffmang
03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I would very much like to talk to any non student who is barred from owning firearms in her home.

-Gene