PDA

View Full Version : Remington vs Savage

Ziggy1
03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey all,

New to the site and new to Bolt action rifles. I did a search for the advantages of the Savage vs the Remmy, but I cant seem to locate any. I am looking to getting a rifle in .308 for target no more than 300 yards and to use to go hunting with. I have found that the Remington 700 sps Tactical seems to be the one I am persuing as it is light at 7.5 lbs w/ the 20" barrel. My buddy is telling me to go with a Savage, but he doesnt know why. I think because his buddy has one and he cant give me a great reason but that. I tried to search but came up with nothing.

Any advice between the two rifles would be great. Pros/Cons, Advantage/Disadvantage and user experience would be great and not just because its cheaper or because its the name brand.

Thanks in advanced

AeroEngi
03-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I have a Remington 700P in .308 and I couldn't be more happier with it. It's good to 1000 yards if not more. I've never shot a Savage but I know the Remmy's are more than good to go. You will not be disappointed.

Ziggy1
03-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I have a Remington 700P in .308 and I couldn't be more happier with it. It's good to 1000 yards if not more. I've never shot a Savage but I know the Remmy's are more than good to go. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks AeroEngi!
Thats what I have heard everywhere but I cant seem to find the goods on the savage to get some comparisons in. Im not one to buy because some one said its good. I like to take the 2 and determain which is good for my use based on the facts. I heard the savages are about a few hundered dollars cheaper. Thanks again! Any others want to chime in on the remmy's and savages?

sephy
03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
One consideration is whether you want that Accutrigger. I'd go to a store and play with them to see. Some people love them and others can't stand them. Personally, I don't really care for them except that they're just another thing that can break.

locosway
03-05-2011, 4:31 AM
Best bang for your buck out of the box is the Savage. Sub-MOA accuracy, lots of features, and a good price.

Remington has more customization options and people know how to work on them. Accuracy can be sub-moa out of the box or not (usually is). To get the same features the Savage comes stock with you'll have to pay more money.

Both are good guns, and you can't go wrong with it. I'd go to the gun store and play with the triggers on both. The Savage has an adjustable trigger, so keep that in mind when checking it out.

Fjold
03-05-2011, 6:58 AM
Both are fine hunting rifles. I'm not a fan of the stubby 20" varmint weight barrels for hunting, just a ersonal preference that I have for longer, sporter weight, barrels The run of the mill Savage will be more accurate out of the box than the run of the mill Remington. (We're talking tenths of an inch differences at 100 yards, not hunting accuracy) The Savage will have a better adjustable trigger.

If you step up to the heavier, target, premium models the Rem 5R will outshoot the standard Savage but then if you go to the F class model of Savage and it will clobber the 5R.

It all boils down to what you feel comfortable with.

locosway
03-05-2011, 7:00 AM
It all boils down to what you feel comfortable with.

And how deep your pockets are.

ubet
03-05-2011, 7:30 AM
Fjold is dead nuts. For a hunting gun, that you dont want any mods to. Get the savage. They come with better barrels than the remmys at the same price point. I have had and shot the **** out of both. If you want a tactical rifle, go to the savaga bak10 or the remmy 5r. But for hunting guns, savage, remmy will do you fine, but I like the barrel on the savage just a little moree. For <300yds, hunting rifle, their is not going to be a huge difference. One recomendation I would make, is get it in 30-06 though, its got more power than the 308 and an even bigger span of factory ammo to do whatever it is you want to do (hunting wise) Good luck, and remember, its a must to post pics

Bill Steele
03-05-2011, 7:48 AM
I think box stock, dollar for dollar. a new Savage is a better value than a new Remington. I think new, in a given price range, the Savage will be a little more accurate, the trigger will be a little better, tolerences will be held a little better. I was looking for a particular Savage rifle in one of two calibers (new) and could not find one in the whole country.

I ended up buying a tricked out used short action Remy 700 in .308 for less than the new Savage would have cost me (I mean really tricked out, target trigger, fancy bench rest fiberglass stock, custom fluted 1:10 barrel, the whole kit and kaboodle).

Looking back on it, I probably should have been looking used all along.

In your particular case, for your intended use of target shooting, I think you could do as well looking for someone's tricked out .308 in either a Savage 10/12 action or Remington 700. Find one that has everything done to it already by a reputable smith, one that has all the bells and whistles you "might" want in the future. Light weight should not be a factor for target shooting, get a longer barrel. If you ever want to start reaching out with it, a faster twist will help when you want to start chucking those heavier bullets.

Good luck.

Legasat
03-05-2011, 7:53 AM
I did a search for the advantages of the Savage vs the Remmy, but I cant seem to locate any.

That's because it's never been discussed before :rolleyes:

Both fine rifles. You won't regret either. I chose Remmington 700P LTR, and have never regretted it.

pyro3k2
03-05-2011, 8:07 AM
this is like Ford vs Chevy here, pick similar models from both manf. and you are just coming down to personal preference here. Go to the gun store, hold and dry fire both and buy which ever one you are most comfortable holding, operating, and dry firing.

Ziggy1
03-05-2011, 9:37 AM
Thanks All! It sounds like a tight one. I heard about the best bang for your buck, also, heard that 30-06 was a better round to go. Will take all into consideration. But, was wondering if I decide to run with the savage, which models would be worth considering? I have no clue where to start...

thanks again!

trob
03-05-2011, 9:51 AM
I choose savage over a remington every time. But it depends on the model.

Ziggy1
03-05-2011, 9:56 AM
I choose savage over a remington every time. But it depends on the model.

What model of the savage would you consider?

trob
03-05-2011, 11:01 AM
the 10's and 12's are my favorite and probably the most popular. fantastic platforms.

seronian
03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
at the end of the day it really depends on what feels right to you...

i went for the 700p coz for myself it felt better than the savage.

Army
03-05-2011, 1:06 PM
I sold and gave away all my Winchester and Remington bolt guns, and have only Savage in the safe (well..except for the wonderful little .22 Browning T-Bolt).

Yes, Remmies can be customized----up to the point they finally equal a Savage :D

Love .30-'06 but want a .308? Buy a barrel, pop the barrel nut off, swap in new barrel, drop in a headspace gage, tighten barrel nut........all at the range bench. Takes 10-15 minutes. Only main requirement is to have cartridges that use the same bolt head dimensions (and even that can be gotten around).

Divernhunter
03-05-2011, 1:15 PM
I own both brands and shoot both cartridges. Here is my take. Out of the box I will take a savage. I do not like to spend money to trick them out much. I have changed stocks and done bedding jobs as well as trigger work. Never need it with the savage. I would not get a heavy barrel for hunting unless it is a varmit rifle(I have 2 a rem and a savage----The savage wins) in a varmit cartridge such as 223 or 22-250 etc.
As a side note I really like the 2 Tikka's I have now.

As far as 308 vrs 30-06. I have multiple rifles(and one pistol) in both chambering. There is no need for any bullets heiver than 150-165grs for hunting any game including elk in either. Even 180gr is about the same in either. The 30-06 is better if you use 200-220gr bullets but with todays modern bullets they are not needed and hurts you in the speed department in either cartridge. As a fact the hornady 180gr bullet(also loaded in weatherby 300w ammo) will penatrate deeper than a 200-220gr bullet in a 30-06.
So shooting 150-165gr bullets(I shoot 130gr at Calif deer and have used 125-130gr bullets in both for pronghorns) there is relly no difference between the two. The plus for the 308 is that it is a short action so techically stiffer and more accurate. One reason most "sniper" type rifles are 308 and not 30-06. Another big plus is that it is much easier to get and will be much more easy in the future to get mil surplus ammo for fun shooting. There are more factory match loads for the 308 also. I love my 30-06's but I would buy a 308 nowdays and have done so.

Bottom line is a 308 is fine(possible better than the 30-06) but you should get what you want, what handles best for you and it is your money so buy what you want. Both rifles(and the Tikka) are fine and both cartridges are good. But "I" give the advantage to the 308. However it is your money and any of the choices will be good ones.

Hunt
03-05-2011, 1:40 PM
Remington or Savage, either rifle is excellent product, this is one of the blesisngs of competition in the market place. If I may make a comment slightly off topic. Everyone always talks about muzzle velocity and bullet trajectory, the problem with this is, under 400 yards almost all the popular calibers are effectively the same. So the real question is what range, not what caliber? If you think you will be getting into reloading I would chose either a .260 or 6.5x55 do some homework and you will see why I say this but to summarize they are more efficient and economical calibers than the .30 on target and game out to 400 yards. Spend some time with the ballistics programs you will find that under 400 yards there is no reason to use a 30-06 family cartridge on game unless you are into hunting Grizzlies. Modern bullets and powders bring a lot of performance to the .308 case family of cartridges. Very, very tough to beat the performance of the low recoiling .260 and 6.5 x 55 with modern 140 gr bullets even out 600 yards. (assuming you get into reloading) If you don't plan on reloading .308 would be the way to go, there is no need for the added recoil and expense of 30-06 case cartridge family unless you plan on medium range hunting 400-700 yards. Edited to add for a hunting rifle I love my Tikka 7mm-08 just wish I got it in 6.5 though. Also for the OP if you will be hunting more than target shooting pay attention to the weight of the rifle a couple of pounds makes a difference when humping in the mountains for a few days.

Bongos
03-05-2011, 3:53 PM
The problem is, unless you are a one "rifle never want to upgrade kinda guy" ,the Savage will be fine for you. Unfortunately, if I were to choose, I would go Rem 700, as mentioned, with the Rem 700, you have more room to upgrade. But to me, it's the re-sellability of the rifle, depending on price, the Rem will always be easier and will sell faster than it's compariable Savage. In most cases, people tend to "give their Savages" away when looking for a replacement. Remington retains alot of it's value, sometimes surpassing retail. I've sold used Rem 700 in the $2300 not too long ago, yes it was heavily customized ad do itty bitty holes, but I think I would have a hard time selling it if it was a Savage in that price range.. Anyways, both rifles will get from point a to point B, something to think about.

vintagearms
03-05-2011, 4:14 PM
The problem is, unless you are a one "rifle never want to upgrade kinda guy" ,the Savage will be fine for you. Unfortunately, if I were to choose, I would go Rem 700, as mentioned, with the Rem 700, you have more room to upgrade. But to me, it's the re-sellability of the rifle, depending on price, the Rem will always be easier and will sell faster than it's compariable Savage. ... Remington retains alot of it's value... Anyways, both rifles will get from point a to point B, something to think about.

I agree with this.

Skyler76
03-05-2011, 4:19 PM
Remington or Savage, either rifle is excellent product, this is one of the blesisngs of competition in the market place. If I may make a comment slightly off topic. Everyone always talks about muzzle velocity and bullet trajectory, the problem with this is, under 400 yards almost all the popular calibers are effectively the same. So the real question is what range, not what caliber? If you think you will be getting into reloading I would chose either a .260 or 6.5x55 do some homework and you will see why I say this but to summarize they are more efficient and economical calibers than the .30 on target and game out to 400 yards. Spend some time with the ballistics programs you will find that under 400 yards there is no reason to use a 30-06 family cartridge on game unless you are into hunting Grizzlies. Modern bullets and powders bring a lot of performance to the .308 case family of cartridges. Very, very tough to beat the performance of the low recoiling .260 and 6.5 x 55 with modern 140 gr bullets even out 600 yards. (assuming you get into reloading) If you don't plan on reloading .308 would be the way to go, there is no need for the added recoil and expense of 30-06 case cartridge family unless you plan on medium range hunting 400-700 yards. Edited to add for a hunting rifle I love my Tikka 7mm-08 just wish I got it in 6.5 though. Also for the OP if you will be hunting more than target shooting pay attention to the weight of the rifle a couple of pounds makes a difference when humping in the mountains for a few days.

+1 good advice.

Finally someone that wants to give good sound advice over the age old pissing match.

Either one will do fine. If you're not shooting MOA or better with either one then it's your ammo or you, not the rifle. The rest is personal preference with the exception of the fact that the Remington will hold it's value more.

Fjold
03-05-2011, 6:00 PM
The problem is, unless you are a one "rifle never want to upgrade kinda guy" ,the Savage will be fine for you. Unfortunately, if I were to choose, I would go Rem 700, as mentioned, with the Rem 700, you have more room to upgrade. But to me, it's the re-sellability of the rifle, depending on price, the Rem will always be easier and will sell faster than it's compariable Savage. In most cases, people tend to "give their Savages" away when looking for a replacement. Remington retains alot of it's value, sometimes surpassing retail. I've sold used Rem 700 in the $2300 not too long ago, yes it was heavily customized ad do itty bitty holes, but I think I would have a hard time selling it if it was a Savage in that price range.. Anyways, both rifles will get from point a to point B, something to think about.

Anything that you can upgrade on a Remmy you can upgrade on a Savage and in many cases without taking it to a gunsmith. Want to add a tactical bolt knob? With the Remmy you send it to a gunsmith where he cuts it off and welds on a new one and then reblues it. With a Savage you unscrew the back of the bolt and replace the bolt handle in 2 minutes. Same thing for barrel changes, bolthead changes, etc.

pacifico23
03-05-2011, 6:33 PM
No love for Howas? After my experience with my friends 700 today (see thread in centerfire section). IDE take My Howa 1500 in .30-06 over his .308. My bolt just seemed better, and just feels more comfortable for me. But then I couldn't shoot his so I wouldn't know what that part is like. I do have about 300 rounds through mine and love it. Accurate as hell, and the bolt is oh so smooth.

Oh and I dont think 30-06 will be going away anytime soon. That round is still one if the premier hunting rounds in the USA. It will be around for years to come. Just don't expect to find surplus ammo of it.

Sam .223
03-05-2011, 7:49 PM
u have a 30-06 savage and a friend has a 270 SPS, shot side by side my rifle was more accurate, only thing i did was put a set of deadnutz scope rings and a 50mm scope on, he did the same, except he used leopould rings. best thing to do is handle both and see what fits you best, if you have any friends with these rifles try them out and see which you like better, a bolt gun is only as good as its shooter so its important to get something you fell good with.

Rob454
03-05-2011, 7:57 PM
because out of the box a Savage will be cheaper and shoot just as good or better than a Remington IMO. Also if you decide to change calibers you can do a barrel change on a savage by yourself no gunsmith needed. Also the new Savage rifles have a adjustable trigger.

Remington is a great rifle also but if you go for a base entry level the Savage is better. if you plan on later making it into a long range rifle the Remington offers more choices/combination/options than the Savage.

300 yards should be no big deal for either rifle. They will both work great. it comes down to price and which has more options for the price.

repubconserv
03-05-2011, 7:57 PM
I went with the savage because it was cheaper, but it works fine for me (ive only shot it at 200 yds, but I get good groups).

And you can upgrade the savage, I haven't done it (I'm a cheap a**), but if I ever have enough money to, I will.

Skyler76
03-05-2011, 8:00 PM
because out of the box a Savage will be cheaper and shoot just as good or better than a Remington IMO. Also if you decide to change calibers you can do a barrel change on a savage by yourself no gunsmith needed. Also the new Savage rifles have a adjustable trigger.

Remington is a great rifle also but if you go for a base entry level the Savage is better. if you plan on later making it into a long range rifle the Remington offers more choices/combination/options than the Savage.

300 yards should be no big deal for either rifle. They will both work great. it comes down to price and which has more options for the price.

So do all new Remington 700s (x-mark-pro).. unfortunately though it's almost as bad as the accutrigger IMO.

ZX-10R
03-05-2011, 8:31 PM
I have shot both and like both but prefer Remington...

Bongos
03-05-2011, 9:02 PM
I'm not desrespecting the Savage, just that a Remington 700P which sold for $600 back in 1990s will fetch $900 or more today, where as a Savage 10FP which sold for $500 is worth $400-$500 today... both sub MOA capable in 308

Just stating the resale value...

Ziggy1
03-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the great information guys! I heard this guy talking at the range the other day and he was talking about a remmy 700 he bought and was complaining about the bolt not being smooth. He stated that when he pulled the bolt back it was rough and when it was fully extended it sort of fell and when he pushed it forward, he had to sort of lift the bolt to get it to slide forward.

have any of the remmy owners experienced this? I was thinking maybe he got one bad cookie in the jar...

locosway
03-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for all the great information guys! I heard this guy talking at the range the other day and he was talking about a remmy 700 he bought and was complaining about the bolt not being smooth. He stated that when he pulled the bolt back it was rough and when it was fully extended it sort of fell and when he pushed it forward, he had to sort of lift the bolt to get it to slide forward.

have any of the remmy owners experienced this? I was thinking maybe he got one bad cookie in the jar...

Maybe he should clean his rifle? :confused:

Paul_R
03-06-2011, 6:39 AM
Savage because I like the accutrigger a lot and I also like detachable magazines, especially for hunting.

Skyler76
03-06-2011, 6:47 AM

I have 3 700s, none of them do this however, I did have a cheap savage 111 that the bolt when fully open/back would feel like it was going to fall out. I think this is more a factor of a cheap gun rather than the manufacturer though.

Rob454
03-06-2011, 6:49 AM
So do all new Remington 700s (x-mark-pro).. unfortunately though it's almost as bad as the accutrigger IMO.
Savage is also cheaper which IMO means more bang for the buck. Savage is just a better priced gun with a lot of value. if the OP is a price is not a issue kind of a guy go for the Remington because it has more options for later when you want to modify it more. if he plans on using it for shooting deer and boar and maybe 300 yards a Savage will work as well or better and wont break the bank. i have a old Savage 110 non accutrigger and its a very good accurate rifle. It doesnt like some brands of surplus ammo but other than that its great.

Geetarguy
03-06-2011, 6:59 AM
I'm new to this too....and I'm sure this has been covered somewhere else here on the forum...but......it seems appropriate to ask here in this thread...what was the eventual outcome of the trigger problems in the Rem's??? What do you guys here on this forum think...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2010-10-20-remington-700-trigger-cnbc_N.htm...(a link to the story about trigger probs)

ubet
03-06-2011, 7:16 AM
Op, most important whats your price range? Under $800, I would get a savage 10/12 or 110. Good barrel, bad trigger (accutrigger), bad stock. BUT, you can do sub moa with them. The barrel is going to be better than the remmys in that price range. The remmy bolt will be a little smoother. However, if your price point is say $1200, you have the option of an A5 mcmillan stock on the savage 10. This will give you a good barrel, bad trigger, world class stock. In that price point though, is the remmy 7005r, good barrel, good trigger, with an hs stock (not as nice a stock as the mcmillan though). I own a 5r, and it is a shooter. In this price point, its just a matter of what feels best to you, and what is available. The trigger on the 5r is probably going to be a little better though, but not as nice a stock. I think savage sells a 10 series with an hs stock too.

IMO, if you want something a little more than a hunting rifle the 1k-1200 range is where its at. Good stocks, better bull barrels, shooters right out of the box. Dont listen to people above, you can get the samethings for a savage as you can a remmy, just have to look a hair harder. In the +1k range, you are going to get a good rifle. Buy once cry once. Just remeber, get good glass, its worth more than the rifle, and is not disposable. Its a one time investment, dont go cheap on glass, no matter what gun you get.

To the people that say no heavy rifles for hunting, I pack a 15+lb 700 through the hill all the time, it doesnt bother me in the least. Dont let weight deter you either, YOU CAN hump it, and those heavier guns, have a lot less recoil, and are more stable to shoot.

ubet
03-06-2011, 7:19 AM
I'm new to this too....and I'm sure this has been covered somewhere else here on the forum...but......it seems appropriate to ask here in this thread...what was the eventual outcome of the trigger problems in the Rem's??? What do you guys here on this forum think...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2010-10-20-remington-700-trigger-cnbc_N.htm...(a link to the story about trigger probs)

Thats because the rifles werent properly maintaned. Also, the most important safety is the nut behind the gun, dont point your gun at anything you dont want to destroy. Muzzle control, elimanates mishaps. Factory out of the box remmys wont do that, altered remmys, that arent maintaned will, just like im sure a savage would if its not taken care of. Dont listen to liberal media and spread fud around, ecspecially if you dont know what your talking about.

drunktank
03-06-2011, 8:08 AM
This is March 2011. Tell me what you can upgrade on a Remington that you cannot on a Savage.

For my needs, a "low end" savage in .270 fits the bill. I take the cash I saved and drop in a Timney trigger. Better than the accutrigger no doubt. I like a .270's trajectory and power plus I reload and am stoked well in that caliber. If I could do it over I'd have gone 6.5. If I didn't reload then probably .308 for surplus availability, but that's why I reload and I don't want that round. The .30-.06 has more availability on hunting rounds (.308 has more target rounds).

All new bolt actions will get the job done you are asking for. If you reload, then even more so. Just be realistic and know what you expect in the end. The target and animal can't tell a difference what brand rifle or round it is when you place a good shot. Get what you like.

Remington guys use the 1911 adage. It's been around the mil for a long time and can be "upgraded to fit you all you want". Cost more.

Savage guys tout it's better bang for buck, more accurate out the box. Each has their merits but are generally splitting hairs. Most people aren't good enough to push their equipments limits anyhow.

Geetarguy
03-06-2011, 1:24 PM
Dont listen to liberal media and spread fud around, ecspecially if you dont know what your talking about.

Easy chopper!!!...just asking a question!!! I can assure you that I am no liberal...and I may be new to this BUT I do my research!!! It's not just the liberal media spreading this stuff around....many other gunners and hunters with WAY more experience than I (and probably you too!!) have commented in the Remington forums attesting to the fact that they have had this rifle fire a round when the safety was dropped....even with a rifle thats stock as a rock and cleaned properly!!! Just looking for a little more input....doing a little research....thats all......;)

Bongos
03-06-2011, 5:24 PM

Keep in mind, the triggers seen on the CSNBC review where modified from Factory, and guns that went off by themselve were not maintianed or cleaned. The kid that died in a hunting accident, well, why was the gun pointed at him in the first place?They run this program every 5 years or so, hoping the Generation of new shooters would go against Remington. Even the one shown with the marines was a "Hang fire", he pulled the trigger.. which was not seen in the clip, only when he wiggled the bolt did the gun went off....now why would the Media only film that portion...

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-06-2011, 6:17 PM
EITHER!

I shot both the Rem 700sps Varmit and savage 10FP.

For me the Remington shot better than the savage. and the action was much smoother, and with a Timney trigger it is heaven.. But either rifle is a fine starter rifle for target shooting.

Si i bought the Remington and got a scope in my budget and have been plinking with it for 3 years now. still fires everytime and always hits what i want.