PDA

View Full Version : Stag Ar-15 Build Quality

Bobby Ricigliano
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I recently bought (2) All Stag factory Ar-15 rifles NIB. They seem solid and well built. I would appreciate any feedback from Stag owners out there who have put their rifles to hard use and can report on the long term reliability/functionality of these weapons.

Preferably talking about all Stag factory builds as there are hundreds of potential wild cards and anomalies with home built and kitted together rifles with mixed uppers and lowers.

Thanks to all!

missiontrails
03-02-2011, 6:00 AM
Stag = very well built. The only possible gripe is the 1/9 commercial grade 4140 barrel.

rareair
03-02-2011, 6:19 AM
Stag believes in their products. Lifetime limited warranty

1sicklx
03-02-2011, 6:22 AM
mine is factory built and have no complaints...

jrivera408
03-02-2011, 7:16 AM
Had 2 stag uppers, and ZERO issues. Never ran them as hard as I should or would of liked to, but after 800-1k rounds I didnt have any problems. Id buy another, especially with their pricing.

Raptor1Ronin
03-02-2011, 8:17 AM
Love my Stag upper ! Its shot everything from crappy wolf to high end brass

Reductio
03-02-2011, 9:15 AM
I love my stag, I don't really abuse my guns, but I don't baby them either.

oh, and IBBCM

CK_32
03-02-2011, 9:22 AM
Never used one but have heard good things about them...

Also you bought them.. You should be shooting them and telling us about them hahaha

DDRH
03-02-2011, 9:24 AM
good to go...long term wise, i've only put about 2K rounds through my 1st stag...still workin' great, but that's not a lotta rounds...

Extreme Z28
03-02-2011, 9:35 AM
Edit

Bobby Ricigliano
03-02-2011, 9:47 AM
Never used one but have heard good things about them...

Also you bought them.. You should be shooting them and telling us about them hahaha

Indeed Sir I will. The rifles are doing their 10 day jail sentence right now. They will be well used when they come home and I will offer up a review of their performance.

Nothing but positive feedback here and i appreciate all who posted up!

Federalist
03-02-2011, 9:47 AM
I have one Stag factory build. I've put it through a couple of carbine classes, and several long weekends. I run it wet (as with all AR's). It has never failed.

You will get a lot of comments about needing a Colt, Noveske, LMT, BCM, DD, etc. I have a BCM middy, and it has never failed me either. Which one is better? So far, its a tie.

The main criticisms I have seen about Stags are:

(1) 1/9 twist - which doesn't bother me since I shoot 55g and 62g;
(2) commercial grade barrel - a minor down side for very long term durability;
(3) no M4 feedramps - if I were over in the sandbox where I needed full auto, I would care, but I'm not; and
(4) I don't think the BCG is mil spec - so I have a spare BCM BCG for when my Stag BCG wears out.

That said, for the average Joe (like me), Stag seems GTG

YMMV

MudCamper
03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Reasonable quality at a reasonable price. I do find that my Stag does not like cheap Russian steel cased ammo (gets dirty faster and gets failures to extract) as much as my Bushmaster or Colt, but that's not a big deal.

The only thing I really don't like about Stag is the big gaudy logo on the lowers.

fullspeed1
03-02-2011, 3:00 PM
Just put 1500rds through mine in 2 days during a Tactical Response Fighting Rifle class. All were my reloads, Without a single issue. I used red lithium bearing grease on the BGC to keep it lubed. I have a total of 4k rds through my Stag without a single issue. No, It isn't a BCM or Noveske, But it puts plenty of hate downrange very reliably, And after running the piss out of it during the class, I would trust it in a bad situation.

MrPlink
03-02-2011, 3:16 PM
My best friend has a factory stag carbine.
Good gun, gets a little picky with wolf ammo, eats everything else just fine. Groups very very well with xm193

Jarhead
03-02-2011, 5:25 PM
thumbs up

chesterthehero
03-02-2011, 5:31 PM
mine runs like a champ (stag lower, RRA LPK, stag flat top upper).. i shoot the heck out of it and clean it from time to time... every now and then ill fee it brass... other than that its countless rounds of russian steel.. theres also been countless ronds of .22 via my spikes conversion kit.. ive yet to have an issue that wasnt ammo or bent feedlip related..

Colt-45
03-02-2011, 5:40 PM
My first AR was a factory built Stag. It was a great rifle. I had 0 failures with it.

The only downside like others have said is the 1:9 twist barrel but if you're just shooting at paper who cares?

Bruce3
03-02-2011, 5:42 PM
about 2k rounds in and not a single hiccup yet.

moulton
03-02-2011, 6:19 PM
I bought a lower a few years ago and one of the pin holes was slightly out of spec and I was not able to close the pin to attach the upper. I sent an e-mail with photos to Stag and they paid for me to send it in, and sent me back a new lower with the same serial number, installed parts kit and an ambi switch selector. Other than that I have not had a single problem.

Write Winger
03-02-2011, 6:51 PM
Funny, I built my first AR recently and the only part that ISN'T Stag Arms is the lower receiver. Wasn't even planning it that way. So far, so good.

Cato
03-02-2011, 7:58 PM
I have the Lefty Carbine. I get a double feed every 20 rounds or so. I bought it in parts back before complete rifles were available. So no lifetime warrenty for me. I don't get to the range often so it took a couple years for me to figure out my feeding problem. My internet research tells me that many folks have trouble with Stag leftys and double feeds probably due to the bolt.

Sometime in the future, I plan to convert it to a right hand rifle or just use it for parts.

You'd think they'd torture test the lefties before they put them on the market, huh?

Mono
03-02-2011, 7:58 PM
I built the Stag lower & topped it off with Stag upper. Gone through about 3000 rounds. Haven't cleaned it in the last 1500 rounds. Still dirty and going strong.

darkest2000
03-02-2011, 8:01 PM
Not a big fan of STAG, they're nothing special really compared to others but I did get one that had the pistol grip screw hole drilled slightly off which caused a small but noticeable gap when the pistol grip is installed, I'm sure it's an isolated incident but it happened on a STAG nonetheless.

Bobby Ricigliano
03-08-2011, 9:18 AM
Thanks to all for the awesome feedback. Sounds like mostly good news. Even though I'm a lefty I steer clear of lefty guns because they didn't have lefty M-16's in the Army so I had to improvise, adapt, overcome LOL. A right handed AR becomes second nature to a lefty after a few years.

socal44
03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
The only possible gripe is the 1/9 commercial grade 4140 barrel.

I'm new to the whole AR thing. What is the problem with 1:9 & 4140?

plankowner
03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I have put about 2,000 rounds down range and not a single problem , I like it and I would do it again and probaly will :43:

Yemff
03-08-2011, 12:47 PM

rg_1111@yahoo.com
03-08-2011, 1:04 PM
Quote:
The only possible gripe is the 1/9 commercial grade 4140 barrel.

The 4140 is not the strongest. But will work fine.
The 1 in 9 twist is for smaller grain bullets. It will shoot heavy grain bullets but not as accurate as a 1 in 7.

dieselpower
03-08-2011, 3:30 PM

No. People who don't really understand think there is, and good Salesmen play on that. In the real use of a firearm there is no negative effect of 1:9 4140.

They think the extra 2.8 45 seconds of full auto fire allowed by a 4150CMV barrel matter in a firefight. It will not since after 1000 degrees ALL barrels molecular bonding changes causing an unknown condition that could then present itself in a bad way...as in a barrel warping & exploding when worked hard again. This was discovered by SF units when they had M4A1s explode during training. The cause was traced to a over heating 4150 CMV then cooling it, then reheating it.

4140 can reach 1200ish
4150 +V can reach 1500ish
4150 can reach 1100ish

exact temps are not known, and only one military paper was produced.

All three can easily reach 1000 during full auto, and with the current trend to go lightweight it doesn't take much more then 2 or 3 magazine dumps. Which is why bumpfiring is stupid....real stupid if you don't have a 4150CMV, but even with a 4150CMV you are still going to hit over 1000 at the same time as a 4140/4150 barrel. To think the extra 500 degrees after the point of failure will help you is ignorant. Since the problem is at a lower temp then the metals failure top limit. So yes, you can fire a 4150CMV longer then a 4140, but you then have to swap the barrel anyway.

4140 is tested different then 4150CMV...people then think that means 4150CMV is better...its not. 4150CMV just requires different testing. Its easier to screw up making 4150CMV, so you must test for that screw up. Most common barrels are 4140 and have never needed the extra testing because it just isn't needed.

1:7 / 1:8 / 1:9 / beyond

The lower the twist the easier it is to stabilize a heavy round to allow good accuracy and proper fragmentation at a greater distance. So while a 1:9 will shoot a 77gr out to 600 yards, it will be less accurate then a 1:7. The 1:7 will not have the spin required for the best fragmentation as a 1:8. A 1:9 can shoot the light ammo the best and allow better fragmentation at lower ranges like under 250 yards with the same accuracy as the other two.

The best overall twist for a long range shot where you want to hit a man sized target and get your ammo to properly fragment inside the body is a 1:8. OTHER THAN THAT, there is no advantage in having one over the other. Admittedly a 1:7 will be the most accurate with the greatest amount of different ammo. 1:7 can stabilize a wide variety of ammo for long range shooting. A 1:9 can do the job at shorter ranges and lower weights, the 1:8 is the best of both worlds.

FTR
I don't own a Stag other than a stripped lower I used to gain OLL status to return to CA. I have all three types of barrels and twist.

Mr_Monkeywrench
03-08-2011, 4:01 PM
Im am a proud owner of a Stag 2T and I wouldnt trade it for anything else. It has been "AK" reliable, eats russian bear ammo, wwb, remington green box, tula, XM193, XM855, and it still shoots 2" groups at 100 after about oh 1700 rounds. I dont baby it, but I dont abuse it either. My point is, OP, you did good and you will be happy with your purchases.

hotfire
03-08-2011, 4:59 PM
Well I'm sold! I'm saving up for a Stag 2H upper. Thanks for all the great info.

chaoticmind
03-08-2011, 7:30 PM
I have the 2T as well and it has been a great rifle so far. Probably 700 Rnds through it. It's not picky about ammo, not even the Russian stuff.

Ron-Solo
03-08-2011, 8:26 PM
I have 3 Stag rifles that I built the lowers myself and one where I built the upper, using all Stag parts on all three. My son also has a Stag model 2.

Between the 4 rifles and thousands of rounds, two failures, and both were issues with reloaded ammo. Mine eat any ammo I feed it.

My next project is to build 3 rifles for my grandkids, using Stag lowers with consecutive serial numbers.

Stag makes a quality rifle.

Zimz
03-09-2011, 1:02 AM
I have a Stag model 8 gas/piston, all factory stock. I've probably put 1500 rounds through it, including some rapid fire drills with no problems. The piston system keeps the rifle pretty clean, even after a couple hundred rounds. I'm happy with it.

locosway
03-09-2011, 1:09 AM
The 1 in 9 twist is for smaller grain bullets. It will shoot heavy grain bullets but not as accurate as a 1 in 7.

Actually, it has to do with bullet length and stabilization, not the weight of the bullet. However, a heavier bullet is usually longer, hence the correlation.

While Stag does use a commercial grade barrel instead of a mil-spec, they also offer a lifetime warranty on their barrel. So if it doesn't hold up to what you're doing they will replace it. Stag knows that there are many mall ninja's and not many people who work with their rifles. So being able to do this means that their barrels hold up to most uses.

The Director
03-09-2011, 6:59 AM
I have a Stag 2HT - awesome rifle, failed me only once and it was really my fault.

Great product, would buy again.

dieselpower
03-09-2011, 7:42 AM
I need to correct myself.
I stated a 4150CMV will last about 2.8 seconds longer than 4140 & 4150. I was low on coffee, I am old and sometime information in my skull gets mixed up.

I re-read that realized as soon as I read it I was a jackwagon and am going to edit it, but wanted to come clean in another post.

4140 and 4150 can go about 2.8 minutes at full auto before they warp, droop and explode.

4150CMV can go about 3.62 minutes at full auto before it warps, droops and explodes.

At about 1.7 to 2.2 minutes of full auto fire all THREE pass the danger point of 1000 degrees. The danger is a 4150CMV can go past the danger point and it will appear to the operator the weapon is fine, when in fact it is not. It COULD have developed stress cracks which are waiting to burst. In order for this to happen you just need to apply a SMALL amount of heat, like 2 or 3 magazine dumps. This is what the SF units were seeing. A known good M4A1 was exploding after the SF grunt dumped a magazine or two. Its a WTF moment that resulted in several injuries during training.

This prompted a test of A2s vs M4s...which was NOT the complaint the SF units had. The test confirmed what was already known. Both an A2 and M4 will last about 3 minutes on full auto. Armalite and Olympic did their own tests of the problem and produced a white paper on the real issue and complaint. The fix is... " don't fire your machine gun longer then 1.7 MINUTES."

The failure is a result of Burst vs full auto. In the test, the Military replaced the A2 burst with full auto. Thats where they started going wrong. Next they simply ran the both guns till they exploded and compared to two. This is typical military BS...ignore what you are told and do what you want.

Capt. Speirs
03-09-2011, 8:35 AM
Stags are good to go in my book.

MudCamper
03-09-2011, 8:41 AM
So dieselpower, are you saying that if a guy bumpfire's his semi-auto AR through 3 mags that he's risking blowing up his barrel? While I don't bumpfire, I do on occasion dump a full mag for fun. I can pull the trigger about 8 times per second. Are you saying that this is a dangerous thing to be doing?

Bobby Ricigliano
03-09-2011, 8:56 AM
I truly thank all for the feedback, including the technical jargon that is way over my head. I am picking up the rifles on Saturday and sighting them in at the range on Sunday. A full range report will be forthcoming.

dualsport
03-09-2011, 9:21 AM
What is the difference between a mil-spec barrel and commercial 4140? Better steel? Mine is ER Shaw, 1/9, commercial grade? Who makes mil-spec barrels? Just curious, mine sees very light duty. I have 2 Stag lowers, nothing wrong with them as far as I know. DPMS LPKs popped right in, now waiting for money for uppers. One thing, off topic, that made me wonder. You can get a LPK for around $50-$60, a bullet button is $25. Highway robbery much? Gotta have it though.

dieselpower
03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
What is the difference between a mil-spec barrel and commercial 4140? Better steel? Mine is ER Shaw, 1/9, commercial grade? Who makes mil-spec barrels? Just curious, mine sees very light duty. I have 2 Stag lowers, nothing wrong with them as far as I know. DPMS LPKs popped right in, now waiting for money for uppers. One thing, off topic, that made me wonder. You can get a LPK for around $50-$60, a bullet button is $25. Highway robbery much? Gotta have it though.

read my posts. Its explains in horrific detail.