PDA

View Full Version : AR15: chrome lined or not?

juniorsonic
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
My Dad is building me a black rifle and we are at the point where it is time to order a barrel. All his AR's have chrome-lining in them, but he swears to me that unless I'm going into 'battle' under harsh conditions, or I plan on shooting 1000's of rounds a month, that it is not necessary. Supposedly, as long as I keep the inside of the barrel oiled, then rust won't be an issue. Oh, and even though I have overheard Pops talking crap about DPMS for EVER, he insists that their 16-inch, non chrome-lined, M4-contour barrel is the way to go for what I want, which is a collapsing-stock carbine to go plinking with and maybe some squirrel hunting as well. Is he just trying to be cheap? Or should I just take the advice? Thanks,

JS

ChrisToad
02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
You might find this article useful, I did

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2678

dieselpower
02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
You might find this article useful, I did

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2678

wow..couldnt have said it better. Very nice write-up.

That goes for the "chart" barrels as well. You dont need 4150CMV barrel IAW Mil-B-11595E mil-spec. A simple 4140 non-chrome, 1:9 twist is fine for a plinker / hunting / home defense rifle.

bohoki
02-28-2011, 5:41 PM
i like chrome cause i shoot wolf and i have no idea what trace elements they sneeze into those cases over there in the land of tzars

TangoCharlie
02-28-2011, 7:34 PM
My Dad is building me a black rifle and we are at the point where it is time to order a barrel. All his AR's have chrome-lining in them, but he swears to me that unless I'm going into 'battle' under harsh conditions, or I plan on shooting 1000's of rounds a month, that it is not necessary. Supposedly, as long as I keep the inside of the barrel oiled, then rust won't be an issue. Oh, and even though I have overheard Pops talking crap about DPMS for EVER, he insists that their 16-inch, non chrome-lined, M4-contour barrel is the way to go for what I want, which is a collapsing-stock carbine to go plinking with and maybe some squirrel hunting as well. Is he just trying to be cheap? Or should I just take the advice? Thanks,

JS

Unless the unlined barrel is significantly less expensive, I'd go chrome lined. It's just easier. There are so many AR vendors competing for your dollar these days, it's a buyers market, so price is not really an issue. Eliminating that, there is no reason not to go chrome lined.

With chrome-lining, you can decide not to clean and oil your barrel with no consequences.

crazychinaman
02-28-2011, 7:45 PM

JS

Chrome lined barrels are good for a tough enviroment, not accuarcy. A Stainless barrel for accuarcy. So non chrome lined barrel is fine for plinking.Just clean it after every use.

MudCamper
02-28-2011, 8:54 PM
I've got a Colt Match Target Competition HBAR upper and the barrel is not chrome lined. If I don't run an oily patch down the barrel every couple of months, even though I never shoot it, it will start to rust.

Go with a chrome lined barrel.

supersonic
03-01-2011, 2:17 PM
My Dad is building me a black rifle and we are at the point where it is time to order a barrel. All his AR's have chrome-lining in them, but he swears to me that unless I'm going into 'battle' under harsh conditions, or I plan on shooting 1000's of rounds a month, that it is not necessary. Is he just trying to be cheap? Or should I just take the advice? Thanks,

JS

Ahem........."CHEAP?!!".........maybe now you won't have a choice. I'll call up Vulcan Arms tomorrow and see what they have to offer in their 'bargain bin.';)

LovingTheYear1911
03-01-2011, 2:41 PM
Who doesnt clean their rifle after a couple of months? Theres really no reason to keep your rifle dirty for that long. I went with non-chromed not because I was concerned about accuracy, but the extra cash for a chrome barrel seemed like a waste. I shoot maybe 200 rounds a month with my AR (if that) and I clean the barrel after each use. Its not hard, it takes like 2 minutes. If your wallet can handle the extra cash, then just get a chrome lined barrel. Honestly, to me its useless for the little plinking I do.

HK Dave
03-01-2011, 3:07 PM
Who doesnt clean their rifle after a couple of months? Theres really no reason to keep your rifle dirty for that long. I went with non-chromed not because I was concerned about accuracy, but the extra cash for a chrome barrel seemed like a waste. I shoot maybe 200 rounds a month with my AR (if that) and I clean the barrel after each use. Its not hard, it takes like 2 minutes. If your wallet can handle the extra cash, then just get a chrome lined barrel. Honestly, to me its useless for the little plinking I do.

Imagine taking a dozen guns to the range and having your buddies dirty em up. :) There are times i just don't find the drive to clean anything for many many months.

Someone needs to start a gun'o'mat where we can take our guns in to get cleaned on a normal basis on the cheap. :P

Helius Lights
03-01-2011, 5:06 PM

I think your right chrome line may be waste to the average AR-15 civilian. That is why i got SS barrel so my gun could be more accurate then I am :(. Its really all personal choice at the end of the day.

anothergunnut
03-01-2011, 5:16 PM
I purchased a chrome lined upper. I know the reasons for not bothering but it was a small difference and if I want to sell my upper, it will be much easier to sell.

SMGLee
03-01-2011, 5:19 PM
Chrome lined barrels are good for a tough enviroment, not accuarcy. A Stainless barrel for accuarcy. So non chrome lined barrel is fine for plinking.Just clean it after every use.

That tends to be a generalization of the process. Chrome line if done correctly are also very accurate. perfect example, the ultra accurate FN SPR bolt action rifle barrels are all hammer forged chrome line. this goes for the FN A3G which has been selected and approved by FBI as one of the two sniper systems. Bravo company, Centurion Arms, Noveske hammer forged barrels are all chrome lined and those barrel can yield a easy 1MOA all day long. FN SCAR-H with 18" chrome line barrel shot a 6MOA at 800 yards. that is sub MOA accuracy for a combat rifle. chrome lining can help with wear and increase durability, if processed correctly the chrome line barrel can be just as accurate.

LovingTheYear1911
03-01-2011, 5:20 PM
Imagine taking a dozen guns to the range and having your buddies dirty em up. :) There are times i just don't find the drive to clean anything for many many months.

Someone needs to start a gun'o'mat where we can take our guns in to get cleaned on a normal basis on the cheap. :P

Or have some service at the range to clean your guns. Hmm, maybe I will look into that. I can make MILLIONS!!!! AND BUY MORE GUNS!!!! AND MY WIFE WONT SAY ANYTHING ANYMORE!!!!!!

tyan
03-01-2011, 5:51 PM
You want a nitride coated barrel.

supersonic
03-01-2011, 7:22 PM
Chrome line if done correctly are also very accurate. perfect example, the ultra accurate FN SPR bolt action rifle barrels are all hammer forged chrome line. the chrome line barrel can be just as accurate.

Is there another brand of barrels called the "chrome line?":p... Anyway, there is no measurable accuracy difference between a SS barrel and one made of CM or CMV (regardless of whether or not the bore/chamber is lineD;))...Now rifling can make a noticeable difference for sure.

RRichie09
03-01-2011, 8:23 PM

JS

I would just be thankful my dad was building me an AR. You have a cool dad. :cool:

MudCamper
03-01-2011, 8:44 PM
Who doesnt clean their rifle after a couple of months? Theres really no reason to keep your rifle dirty for that long.

Reading comprehension. Reread my post. I said, "even though I never shoot it". It has to be re-oiled every couple of months or it rusts, even though it is sparkly shiny clean.

supersonic
03-01-2011, 9:14 PM
I would just be thankful my dad was building me an AR. You have a cool dad. :cool:

Yes, I guaran-f'n-tee you he most certainly does.:cool: (Just not quite the caliber of Chuck Norris. If that WERE the case, I could just piss down the bore and it would become chrome lined!!):p

j15w
03-01-2011, 9:58 PM
Go with the chrome lined bore/chamber. The accuracy difference is negligible and CL bores can offer a lifetime of use for a plinker with less worry about barrel rust and wear issues.

CK_32
03-02-2011, 12:51 AM
I went chrome lined because I was told it lasts longer.. And forged steel or what ever or hammer forged what ever is like super tough adds 10,000+ rounds to a barrel.. And I haven't met anyone who's shot out a chrome lined barrel yet....

Unless you plan on doing tactical courses or teaching them don't even trip. I'd say go chrome lined..

OHW
03-02-2011, 9:20 AM
Your first problem is doubting your dad. Who it seems has a lot of experience with ARs.

Go chrome , even the numb skulls in the military figured that out with the first batch of non-chromed M-16s that were fielded in Vietnam.

evidens83
03-02-2011, 9:21 AM
chrome lined

drunktank
03-02-2011, 9:28 AM
I've owned a few non chrome lined m&p's. Several k rounds through them before I sold and some had several k rounds through them before I bought. Still shot close to moa with a good shooter. Cleaning was a breeze as well. Wolf was dirtier obviously. I don't understand people much of the time...

Nathan Krynn
03-02-2011, 9:40 AM

It is more of a salt bath process that changes the molecular structure not a coating. But yes this is the ultimate process.

One problem. You need to debur the barrel first, all barrels that are not hand lapped and I know of two shops in the us that still do that to all their barrels and even those have some burs. So you need to shoot like 100 rounds or so then take apart, super clean and send it in to be done.

Other wise you will have to shoot out the burs after that have become stronger then steel, literally. I have done it, it sucks. However that barrel gets better with time as opposed to worse.

juniorsonic
03-02-2011, 9:54 AM

Really? Is that what "I want?" No, I don't. My dad ordered me a Doublestar chrome-lined barrel from midway today! http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=136493

He told me that the heavy barrel will not heat up as fast as one of the lighter m4-type ones, but the rifle will be noticeably heavier than if we went with a "government"(?)-profile barrel. He gets his FFL discount at midway, so he's happy. (and so am I):D

xrMike
03-02-2011, 9:58 AM
I said, "even though I never shoot it". It has to be re-oiled every couple of months or it rusts, even though it is sparkly shiny clean.Saturate a cotton cleaning patch with gun oil, squeeze out excess oil, twist patch between your fingertips into shape of a plug, and insert plug into the muzzle end of your rifles before storing.

This keeps all moisture out of your barrels while in the safe.

Better not forget to remove the plug before you go shooting though. Bad things could happen. :)

supersonic
03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
It is more of a salt bath process that changes the molecular structure not a coating. But yes this is the ultimate process.

One problem. You need to debur the barrel first, all barrels that are not hand lapped and I know of two shops in the us that still do that to all their barrels and even those have some burs. So you need to shoot like 100 rounds or so then take apart, super clean and send it in to be done.

Other wise you will have to shoot out the burs after that have become stronger then steel, literally. I have done it, it sucks. However that barrel gets better with time as opposed to worse.

That's a HELL of a lot of work to go through when you aren't going to notice any real advantages over a CL bore/chamber. Seems like a waste of time (and probably a buttload of $$$ as well) to me.

MaHoTex
03-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Non-Chrome barrels only last 5000 rounds?!?!?!? I did not know that. Ah man...

Wes
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
i have a nitride fluted midlength from DSArms. several thousand rounds through it, not rust, no problems. i think glock uses nitride on their weapons? im not a big fan of glock, but they do last forever dirty or clean.

DDRH
03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
i'd prefer chrome lined...easier to clean and maintain.

MudCamper
03-02-2011, 2:04 PM
Saturate a cotton cleaning patch with gun oil, squeeze out excess oil, twist patch between your fingertips into shape of a plug, and insert plug into the muzzle end of your rifles before storing.

This keeps all moisture out of your barrels while in the safe.

Better not forget to remove the plug before you go shooting though. Bad things could happen. :)

Thanks for the tip. It's worth a try. What I've been trying lately is the opposite, which is to leave the bolt back and dust cover open, in an effort to keep air moving. Moving the air is the only thing that keeps my Harley from rusting in the garage. I keep a fan blowing on it 24/7.

Centurion_D
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Go for chrome lined...it's the better option.

SMGLee
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Is there another brand of barrels called the "chrome line?":p...

Chrome lining... are you happy now? :)