PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 101-11

morrcarr67
02-12-2011, 1:43 PM
OK I was going through my rifles after Bobula asked about .22LR C&R's and wanted to bring out the only one I have and tell you all about it.

Thing is it seems like what I thought I knew about it doesn't seem to be right. It is marked Ranger 101-11. I know that Sears sold many rifles under the Ranger name but I always thought it was made by Mossberg for Sears but come to find out that is wrong.

On searching the web I can't seem to a definitive answer. It seems like these were made by Savage, Winchester and Stevens to name a few. I also saw many different Ranger 101 models like a -08, -16, -11a and ones like my -11. My rifle is a semi-auto but you can lock the bolt and fire it single shot.

Does anyone know who really made the Ranger 101-11?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=85718&stc=1&d=1297550561

swifty
02-12-2011, 2:04 PM
Looks like a Savage or Stevens. There was another company that built a similar rifle, High-Standard I think.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-12-2011, 2:26 PM
Looks exactly like both of my Savage/Stevens Model 87 rifles. After you fire it does the bolt stay back until you release the trigger?

morrcarr67
02-12-2011, 2:40 PM
Looks exactly like both of my Savage/Stevens Model 87 rifles. After you fire it does the bolt stay back until you release the trigger?

No, it will close after every shot. Unless I have the bolt locked, then I have to cycle the action myself.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-12-2011, 2:50 PM
No, it will close after every shot. Unless I have the bolt locked, then I have to cycle the action myself.

Mine close after every shot, but not until my finger lets off of the trigger. Mine also have the bolt lock feature to fire single shot. One of them will even fire .22 Shorts in semi-auto, which gives me over 20 rounds in the magazine. :)

morrcarr67
02-12-2011, 3:11 PM
You know it's been a while sense I've shot this one, I'll have to take her this week and see what happens.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-12-2011, 3:30 PM
You can test it by...

- verifying that the magazine is unloaded and the chamber is empty :)
- pulling the trigger and holding it
- pulling back the bolt all the way while still holding the trigger
- see if the bolt stays back while you are still holding the trigger
- see if the bolt flies forward when you release the trigger

I didn't even notice this feature the first few times I fired a Model 87. I just noticed they had a distinct "ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka------chunk" sound.

morrcarr67
02-13-2011, 6:42 AM
You can test it by...

- verifying that the magazine is unloaded and the chamber is empty :)
- pulling the trigger and holding it
- pulling back the bolt all the way while still holding the trigger
- see if the bolt stays back while you are still holding the trigger
- see if the bolt flies forward when you release the trigger

I didn't even notice this feature the first few times I fired a Model 87. I just noticed they had a distinct "ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka------chunk" sound.

Interesting. I had never noticed either. It does stay open until you release the trigger.

So it would appear that the Ranger Model 101-11 is a Savage Model 87.

Thank you for your help.

Jesse