PDA

View Full Version : Press Mount feedback request

shtr45acp
02-02-2011, 5:22 PM
I have access to press mounts that allow folks to make their reloading presses portable. These can be mounted anywhere...in the garage or in the house/apartment. They fit numerous presses, including Rock Chucker, Pardner, Lee single and progressives, Redding, etc. I have 2, and use them with Pardner, Rock Chucker ans Lee Pro-1000. Can easily be used at the range. All will easily fix to any bench/table with c-clamps, bar clamps, etc. Lyman made some like these many years ago, but no more. Would there be a use/market for these nowadays? At about $50 each, it might be a deal for those with tight quarters to reload or those working up loads at the range. Feedback much appreciated. Pls PM me with email address for pics. Input is greately appreciated Thx.

LGB Loader
02-02-2011, 5:53 PM
pics / video demo would be nice.

LGB

Antihero47
02-02-2011, 7:46 PM
pics / video demo would be nice.

LGB

I agree.

Post the pics up here, showing multiple presses being used if possible. A video would be preferred. I might be interested if I could actually see it.

shtr45acp
02-02-2011, 8:20 PM
Pics/video would be nice, but this project is in it's beginning. Have used the two I have to reload 9mm, 38, 357, 45acp, 7mm mag, 45 auto rim, 30-30, 308, 444, 300 wWin Mag, 25-06, 32acp, 30-06, 380acp, 50 BMG, 458 Win Mag, various belted mags plus 416 Rigby, 505 Jefferies, and a few more. Neither unit has failed. The design is stout, proven, and the quality is first rate. Fabricated by a cabinet maker in Chicago with quality wood and black phosphated steel bolts. My email address is shtr45acp@aol.com for those who are interested in pics. I apologise for not being able to put pics up at calguns for the present. Your opinions are what will be my deciding factor as regards distributing them to Calguns members. Thank you in advance for any input you may throw my way. Greg.

LGB Loader
02-03-2011, 6:15 PM
Lyman made some like these many years ago, but no more.
If you are worried about copy right infringements... I wouldn't stress it.

Me, on the other hand would plaster every single wall, forum, street corner with a pic or demo of anything I am trying to sell. Sales is a numbers game, if more people see it, more people will want it. It's as simple as that.

Sincerely, good luck with the project.

LGB

Nessal
02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
They sell one on Midwayusa that has the holes for different presses marked on the table top already. Just drill the holes according to your press and mount. I believe it's about 40-50 bucks.

shtr45acp
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
New pics of 2 different stained mount/stands, avail via email. I have seen the Midway USA Frankford Arsenal model. It is a little over two feet tall, and the mounting plate is made of plastic, so are the stress points. Good for short folks, but 5 pieces to set up. The one demonstrated is a one piece item, easily put at table top height or easily taken to the range without having to remove or separate press from base. Pics show American Oak laminate manufacture with steel phosphate bolt and re-inforced stress points. Your call. Thx for your input. shtr45acp@aol.com

Lead Waster
02-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, you know I have the exact same thing, but it's a piece of plywood with wooden slats under it (so that the bolts/washers do not need to be recessed in the plywood). It has holes drilled in it for the press, and also clamps down easily to just about anything. I used it in my small apartment clamped to the kitchen table or the counter. Cost me about $5.

Nessal
02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I think it's a good idea for apartment and even house dwellers that want something portable. Maybe even bring it out to blm land if need be.

Antihero47
02-07-2011, 1:57 PM
As a potential customer I WILL NOT go out of my way to find out about your product. If I email you and like your idea, I can't go tell anyone about it and link to a thread explaining it. Instead I have to tell that person to contact you through email and get pictures and info.

That type of marketing is dumb. Post your product or prototype and get suggestions while building up an interest by getting thread views and replies and make something that has gone through an actual 'focus group' of sorts and have success. You can build what you want, only to find out that an overwhelming amount of people would like a couple changes, only to have to recreate it with the new changes. This can go over and over. Research of the market will make it successful or not, and change it from something you weld and sell 2-3 out of your garage to manufacturing and selling 20-70 a month on MidwayUSA and other top resellers.

shtr45acp
02-07-2011, 5:21 PM
Well, you know I have the exact same thing, but it's a piece of plywood with wooden slats under it (so that the bolts/washers do not need to be recessed in the plywood). It has holes drilled in it for the press, and also clamps down easily to just about anything. I used it in my small apartment clamped to the kitchen table or the counter. Cost me about $5.

I, too, first used one like pictured in an apartment and at the range. Had another one made of plywood from the local lumber yard and it worked just fine. Bolts need not be recessesd anywhere on the stand, as base is perfectly flat in this design. I had one base "felted". No sctatching the table. The problem I encountered with the plywood "lumber yard" one was that it just wasnt stout enough. Stress could be obviuosly seen and felt. No matter. It worked. Nowadays, one might be careful buying plywoods from the local lumber yard/outlet & home stores. Quite a bit if it is an import grade from China, and the inner plys wont hold a woodscrew, and it fatigues at bolt holes. Hence the idea of Oak plywood, 5or 6 plys thick, American Made. Cost for this quality wood can run from $65-$85 per sheet (max) at fabrication shop area. We want a quality product that will last. Thx for your input

shtr45acp
02-07-2011, 5:41 PM
As a potential customer I WILL NOT go out of my way to find out about your product. If I email you and like your idea, I can't go tell anyone about it and link to a thread explaining it. Instead I have to tell that person to contact you through email and get pictures and info.

That type of marketing is dumb. Post your product or prototype and get suggestions while building up an interest by getting thread views and replies and make something that has gone through an actual 'focus group' of sorts and have success. You can build what you want, only to find out that an overwhelming amount of people would like a couple changes, only to have to recreate it with the new changes. This can go over and over. Research of the market will make it successful or not, and change it from something you weld and sell 2-3 out of your garage to manufacturing and selling 20-70 a month on MidwayUSA and other top resellers.

Thanks for your input. We are just asking for opinions, and running this idea to the folks here at Calguns. We are in process of trying other sites like this one, in other states, for the same purpose. California is one of the first. We are not asking anyone to go out of their way, let alone attempt to explain the ins/out of marketing at this point in time. This is, however, not a true proto-type. The design works. It is ready for manufacturing at a shop in Chicago, Il. and can be modified, if need be. What is demonstrated here is only a request for feedback as to practicability, critique, and if you would consider one if your present circumstances. Any money numbers mentioned are strictly ballpark. If someone does not wish to look at a picture of it, or bother with sending an email to see the item, then so be it. This is not a marketing ploy. There is no solicitation here on this thread (it is not allowed), and any/all emails sent are deleted. Period. There will be no mailing lists. Marketing research has been underway, for some months now, but it's still early in the process. Thank you for your insight. It is appreciated.

Chief-7700
02-07-2011, 7:38 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words! Show us what your offering for a press mount! If not then go away!

wilit
02-07-2011, 8:09 PM
I think you have a great idea, but you should post a pic or a drawing of your prospective product. There was a thread a year or so ago of a guy coming out with a "Revolutionary rifle that will be California legal." He explained it much like you did and never posted any pics until the thread devolved into a 20 page slam on the guy.

Lead Waster
02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I, too, first used one like pictured in an apartment and at the range. Had another one made of plywood from the local lumber yard and it worked just fine. Bolts need not be recessesd anywhere on the stand, as base is perfectly flat in this design. I had one base "felted". No sctatching the table. The problem I encountered with the plywood "lumber yard" one was that it just wasnt stout enough. Stress could be obviuosly seen and felt. No matter. It worked. Nowadays, one might be careful buying plywoods from the local lumber yard/outlet & home stores. Quite a bit if it is an import grade from China, and the inner plys wont hold a woodscrew, and it fatigues at bolt holes. Hence the idea of Oak plywood, 5or 6 plys thick, American Made. Cost for this quality wood can run from $65-$85 per sheet (max) at fabrication shop area. We want a quality product that will last. Thx for your input

Yes, my stand is nothing nice to look at and many people don't want to go to the hassle of building something. So offering something of high quality for a reasonable price will sell. Not everyone wants a ghetto piece of wood under their $300 press!

Good luck with your endeavor!