PDA

View Full Version : Saigas!

soulfresh
01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
hey guys just bought a brand new saiga 7.62x39! i plan to keep this sporter and a non conversion.
anyone have any awesome suggestions and pics of their sporter saigas such as scopes, mounts, rails, forearms, grips, sporter stocks? what is stock and what you guys changed. love to see some pics.

tomd1584
01-15-2011, 11:48 AM
cant put a vertical grip on a featureless rifle unless you plan on putting a mag lock on it.

soulfresh
01-15-2011, 6:37 PM
o ok thats good to know. thanks for the info. any suggestions on other accessories?

pyro3k2
01-15-2011, 6:48 PM
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/
Accept no substitutes

_Z_
01-15-2011, 6:53 PM
Probably just put a scope on it if you want but that's all I would do with it. I don't like to spend money on stuff that is tacticool and useless. All my AKs are stock without any changes to them really.

railroader
01-15-2011, 7:01 PM
Saiga stock triggers kind of suck. Dinzag arms has triggers that are a major improvement over stock. http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html Mark

pyro3k2
01-15-2011, 7:20 PM
Saiga stock triggers kind of suck. Dinzag arms has triggers that are a major improvement over stock. http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html Mark

+1 to that, the main driving factor in my saiga conversions was to use that sweet Tapco trigger...never thought I'd refer to anything from tapco as "sweet" but it truely is a great FCG.

Bigtwin
01-15-2011, 8:12 PM
This is how I run mine! I cut the factory forstock for cooling (really for looks) and run my old ak 30rd mags. More often than not I use the 10rd mags at the range on a bench because the 30rd ones are a hinderance.

REMOVED PIC UNTILL FURTHER NOTICE!
I DO NOT want to promote any misinformation if I can!

_Z_
01-15-2011, 8:33 PM
This is how I run mine! I cut the factory forstock for cooling (really for looks) and run my old ak 30rd mags. More often than not I use the 10rd mags at the range on a bench because the 30rd ones are a hinderance.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4831/pc050468.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/i/pc050468.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

How are you running your 30rd mags? I thought when you use mags in a saiga 10rd+ you gotta deal with 922r? Which parts did you swap over? Just wondering what the cost is for the 922r stuff on a saiga.

Here is the info on if you use a 10rd+ mag you need to play the 922r game
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=279074

Bigtwin
01-15-2011, 8:48 PM
I modified the mag to run without changing the rifle! 30rd mags DO NOT(UNCLEAR) change the rifle configuration! 922 does not apply to that. -I am not a lawer- Read 922r and 925- Do not take my word for it-

Now..for the catch! Modding the mag, as I have read and been told is tricky. To totaly mod the mag so it fires in the Saiga only, constitutes manufacturing (as I have understood), then it is a no no! I have an Ak to use as a test and was able to make a minimal weld to function in both the Saiga and the AK that the mag was intended! Therefore NOT manufacturing, making it work!

Believe me it was WORK trying to find a happy medium! Much welding and grinding and doing it over again.

ElvenSoul
01-15-2011, 8:54 PM
Saw one a couple years ago with a wood stock...looked very nice.

soulfresh
01-15-2011, 9:38 PM
appreciate all the input guys...like i said i would like to keep it sporter and non coversion. do all the tapco triggers only good if you convert to pistol grip or some work with the sporter stock? need help on optics as well not sure what would give me a good eye relief...ima noob. want to keep the optics under $100 if possible. plan on shooting 100 yards at the most. i was looking at some ncstar and utg optics.

SJgunguy24
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I modified the mag to run without changing the rifle! 30rd mags DO NOT change the rifle configuration! 922 does not apply to that.

Now..for the catch! Modding the mag, as I have read and been told is tricky. To totaly mod the mag so it fires in the Saiga only, constitutes manufacturing (as I have understood), then it is a no no! I have an Ak to use as a test and was able to make a minimal weld to function in both the Saiga and the AK that the mag was intended! Therefore NOT manufacturing, making it work!

Believe me it was WORK trying to find a happy medium! Much welding and grinding and doing it over again.

Yes it does, that rifle can only be used with 10 round mags, the way it was imported. When you change the configuration you must comply with 922(r).
That cannot be imported with a 30 round mag, therefore your gun is illegal unless you have changed out enough parts for that to be considered a US manufactured rifle (10 or less).

Bigtwin
01-15-2011, 10:07 PM
If I am wrong then show me where! It is a simple fix if so!

SJgunguy24
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
appreciate all the input guys...like i said i would like to keep it sporter and non coversion. do all the tapco triggers only good if you convert to pistol grip or some work with the sporter stock? need help on optics as well not sure what would give me a good eye relief...ima noob. want to keep the optics under $100 if possible. plan on shooting 100 yards at the most. i was looking at some ncstar and utg optics.

This is the crap your fire control group consists of before a conversion. Look at the number of mechanical links, all the slop and stuff that can go wrong.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/012-9.jpg

After the conversion, no BS, simple and clean. Nothing to bind or go wrong.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/014.jpg

Svetlana, featureless and evil as all hell, and I run my 30's all day. Don't take my advice though, I don't know s**t.:rolleyes:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/004-14.jpg

railroader
01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Dinzag has trigger parts on there that are re-worked for stock saigas. They run about $60 but they are a major improvement. Just scroll down the page until you get to the stock configuration. Mark

SJgunguy24
01-15-2011, 10:21 PM
If I am wrong then show me where! It is a simple fix if so!

Was that gun imported with a 30 round mag?
No.

Was that gun imported for use with a 30 round mag?

No.

Now, in order to use a 30 round mag (something it was never imported for use nor imported with) that must comply with the 10 or less law.

Believe me or not, I don't care. I build guns for a living and I have to comply with the law whenever I put something together. I also do not answer any question I do not know the answer for. I will look it up and eat crow (publicly I might ad) if I'm wrong. (ask Jack, he's indirectly trained me to be on the ball at all times).

If you brought that into the shop and asked me if that was GTGm, I would advise you to not use any mags that hold more then 10 rounds unless you have the parts count down to 10 or less. Like I said, I don't care what you do to yourself. When you say that is legal on CGN, now I take issue. That is not a legal configuration if that mag holds 10 or more rounds unless you have the required amount of US made parts.

I'm tired and have been sick for a couple of days, I need sleep because I'm needed at the shop, I have 2 guns that need to be reassembled and another on the bench. Add the 7 that still need to be built and well, you can see. Please look up the import laws and get back to me.

_Z_
01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
SJ is a good guy who knows the laws. I remember when he was wrong one time and he had no problem with admitting it after.

Bigtwin
01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Was that gun imported with a 30 round mag?
No.

Was that gun imported for use with a 30 round mag?

No.

Now, in order to use a 30 round mag (something it was never imported for use nor imported with) that must comply with the 10 or less law.

Believe me or not, I don't care. I build guns for a living and I have to comply with the law whenever I put something together. I also do not answer any question I do not know the answer for. I will look it up and eat crow (publicly I might ad) if I'm wrong. (ask Jack, he's indirectly trained me to be on the ball at all times).

If you brought that into the shop and asked me if that was GTGm, I would advise you to not use any mags that hold more then 10 rounds unless you have the parts count down to 10 or less. Like I said, I don't care what you do to yourself. When you say that is legal on CGN, now I take issue. That is not a legal configuration if that mag holds 10 or more rounds unless you have the required amount of US made parts.

I'm tired and have been sick for a couple of days, I need sleep because I'm needed at the shop, I have 2 guns that need to be reassembled and another on the bench. Add the 7 that still need to be built and well, you can see. Please look up the import laws and get back to me.

Take a breath, I do not intend to produce FUD or other BS! And I do look at your posts SJgunguy24 as legit as far as you can be! I have looked at many. I am not trying to argue with ya about it or your interpritation of the law! I understand your job and that you are likely more versed in the law than I! That is why after your comment I wanted to know why you say what you have. I have read what I can find on import laws on the net, that is why I was wondering why you say what you did. I may have missed somthing otherwise! In other words I may have missed it but can you please show(link) me to where it is "non sporting" to have a 10+ round mag...with the feds!(for this instance)!

BTW SJ, I hope ya feel better! Sorry if this took it too far off topic, I do not wish to spread untruths!

killshot44
01-16-2011, 1:02 AM
hey guys just bought a brand new saiga 7.62x39! i plan to keep this sporter and a non conversion.
anyone have any awesome suggestions and pics of their sporter saigas such as scopes, mounts, rails, forearms, grips, sporter stocks?

I haven't done much or shot with this one in a long time.
Has the RAA Thumbhole stock, Texas Weapons Systems dog-leg rail, G2 trigger, UTG handguard, Mgpl AFG, PWS brake and a FACOG(:rolleyes:)....

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Killshot44_bucket/IMG_0868.jpg?t=1295171252

Since I know SJGG hates the sporter trigger config, (I promise, I'll convert the FCG and backend when I have some free time)

Just to show him I'm an otherwise good guy.....
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Killshot44_bucket/koolAid2.gif?t=1295171606

Do NOT drink this sh*t, it will rot your brain.:43:

Freebird
01-16-2011, 5:23 AM
anyone have any awesome suggestions and pics of their sporter saigas such as scopes, mounts, rails, forearms, grips, sporter stocks? what is stock and what you guys changed. love to see some pics.

Where did you get your Saiga?

SJgunguy24
01-16-2011, 8:38 AM
It would take me all day to track down all of the wording and codes to link everything together.
It says sporting purposes in 925(d)(3), since that rifle is imported as a "sporting arm" with a 10 round mag not a 30 round mag should give you an idea as to what mag capacity is "sporting".
To the op, enjoy your Saiga, and when you shoot a converted gun, you'll want to do the same.

922(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to
assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic
rifle or any shotgun which is
identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited
from importation under section 925(d)(3)
of this chapter as not being particularly
suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting
purposes except that this subsection
shall not apply to—(1) the assembly of any such rifle or
shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed
manufacturer to the United
States or any department or agency
thereof or to any State or any department,
agency, or political subdivision
thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or
shotgun for the purposes of testing or
experimentation authorized by the Attorney
General

925(d) The Attorney General shall authorize
a firearm or ammunition to be imported
or brought into the United States or
any possession thereof if the firearm or
ammunition—
(3) is of a type that does not fall
within the definition of a firearm as defined
in section 5845(a) of the Internal
Revenue Code of 1954 and is generally
recognized as particularly suitable
for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes,
excluding surplus military firearms,
except in any case where the
Attorney General has not authorized
the importation of the firearm pursuant
to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to
import any frame, receiver, or barrel of
such firearm which would be prohibited
if assembled

pyro3k2
01-16-2011, 8:55 AM

Good scope and looks great on a saiga or anyother AK for that matter. It also saves you from having to buy a mount so that also needs to be factored in. I know it's about 70 bucks more than your 100, but these babies are combat proven, lighter than they look, and will probably last longer than your rifle.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/posp-4x24-w-black-finish-400-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

_Z_
01-16-2011, 9:10 AM
Good scope and looks great on a saiga or anyother AK for that matter. It also saves you from having to buy a mount so that also needs to be factored in. I know it's about 70 bucks more than your 100, but these babies are combat proven, lighter than they look, and will probably last longer than your rifle.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/posp-4x24-w-black-finish-400-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

If he does that, he still has to buy and install a side mount. Not saying it's really hard or anything but you have to factor that in also.

heck it would be good to know what you want the scope for.

1911su16b870
01-16-2011, 9:41 AM
Anyone make a us trigger kit for the saiga in the back position and optimized parts, no extra links etc. I saw a arsenal butt stock which was sweet and had US marking.

SJgunguy24
01-16-2011, 9:58 AM
Anyone make a us trigger kit for the saiga in the back position and optimized parts, no extra links etc. I saw a arsenal butt stock which was sweet and had US marking.

Dinzag does, It's simple enough to do with the standard G2 FCG, you only get to use the disconnector and hammer. You'll still need 1 more part after that stock.

thrillhouse700
01-16-2011, 10:06 AM
SJ knows his ****...........

Also look here for 922r stuff.
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Bigtwin
01-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok I have reread the 922r and 925, no place in these laws do I find anything regarding mag. capicity. Only the term "sporting purposes". In a mind numbing search I cannot find anywhere that defines that. No law have I found stating 10rds are the limit for hunting, competition or recreational shooting. (other than California 10rd limit for new purchases, I am a legal owner of these 30rd mags.) After reading it completely, I do not see how changing mag capacity changes the rifle configuratuion. That seems to me like saying once the mag is removed I now changed config.
I read that info from this site: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html I would like to believe that they have the codes correct and accurately worded!
SJ, don't misunderstand me please, I am not trying to question your knowlege or interpretation of the law. I am just trying to get a clearer understanding myself. And why you read "sporting purposes" as mag capicity related!
Thanks

Bigtwin
01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Thrillhouse: I have read through that, here is the kicker "However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922(r) compliance.", that part there just kills me!
I guess to keep it safe if this is infact a grey area, as it would seem to be, the safe bet is to just limit your foriegn parts any way.
Going with the worksheet stock configuration is easy if you use US mag follower,floorplate, gas piston, tigger.

NytWolf
01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
cant put a vertical grip on a featureless rifle unless you plan on putting a mag lock on it.

Can you put one on yourself? Or does someone have to put it on for you?

1911su16b870
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks SJgunguy24. Does the ultimak gas tube/rail/piston housing count as an additional part?

thrillhouse700
01-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Thrillhouse: I have read through that, here is the kicker "However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922(r) compliance.", that part there just kills me!
I guess to keep it safe if this is infact a grey area, as it would seem to be, the safe bet is to just limit your foriegn parts any way.
Going with the worksheet stock configuration is easy if you use US mag follower,floorplate, gas piston, tigger.

The tapco trigger counts as 2 parts.

pyro3k2
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
If he does that, he still has to buy and install a side mount. Not saying it's really hard or anything but you have to factor that in also.

heck it would be good to know what you want the scope for.

All the Saiga's I have ever seen came with a side rail.

_Z_
01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
All the Saiga's I have ever seen came with a side rail.

thanks, learn something new today

SJgunguy24
01-16-2011, 2:01 PM
Ok I have reread the 922r and 925, no place in these laws do I find anything regarding mag. capicity. Only the term "sporting purposes". In a mind numbing search I cannot find anywhere that defines that. No law have I found stating 10rds are the limit for hunting, competition or recreational shooting. (other than California 10rd limit for new purchases, I am a legal owner of these 30rd mags.) After reading it completely, I do not see how changing mag capacity changes the rifle configuratuion. That seems to me like saying once the mag is removed I now changed config.
I read that info from this site: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html I would like to believe that they have the codes correct and accurately worded!
SJ, don't misunderstand me please, I am not trying to question your knowlege or interpretation of the law. I am just trying to get a clearer understanding myself. And why you read "sporting purposes" as mag capicity related!
Thanks

Is the Saiga imported with a 30 round mag? Yes, then there is no problem. No, then you must comply with 922(r) 10 or less law.

Thanks SJgunguy24. Does the ultimak gas tube/rail/piston housing count as an additional part?

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

sevans
01-16-2011, 2:26 PM
7.62, 5.45, and 5.56. All 922r and CA compliant with all mags. It's an old pic now but shows 3 different furniture options.

http://www.infiniteweb.com/saiga2/IMG_3628.JPG

brassbent
01-16-2011, 9:11 PM
7.62, 5.45, and 5.56. All 922r and CA compliant with all mags. It's an old pic now but shows 3 different furniture options.

http://www.infiniteweb.com/saiga2/IMG_3628.JPG

Sevans,

where did you get that beautiful stock on the 7.62 Saiga? Also, the 5.45 stock?

Thanks

sevans
01-16-2011, 9:16 PM
The 7.62 stock is from BattlerifleG3. I'm not sure if he's still producing them but google should find him. The 5.45 stock is Saiga factory wood. They used to be available at saigastock.com. I'm not sure on current availability.

soulfresh
03-24-2011, 6:00 PM
if i put a new forearm on a stock sporter saiga (lets say a tapco) and just a forearm, do i have have to make the rifle 922 compliant? or it only applies once i place a pistol grip on it? also if i attach a foregrip to the foreend it would need to be 922 compliant, but what about lights and stuff? just curious. thanks

llamatrnr
03-24-2011, 6:33 PM
Check out the Saiga12 forums; lots of good info there . . .

Bug Splat
03-24-2011, 7:43 PM
Here is mine. Nothing special just an Ultimak. Wanted to keep to sporter too :)

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/bugsplat/IMAG0005.jpg

cfm117
03-24-2011, 8:45 PM
So, my understanding from reading around is if you decide to add a bullet guide, you now have to comply with 922r. No bullet guide= no 922r

Quiet
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks

In 1989, BATFE ruled that an imported semi-auto centerfire rifle with a capacity greater than 10 rounds did not have a "sporting purpose" and could not be imported into the USA for civilian sale.

18 USC 925(d)(3) states it's not lawfully to import firearms that did not have a "sporting purpose".
18 USC 922(r) states it is unlawfully to assemble from imported parts a firearm that is not importable due to 18 USC 925(d)(3).

Modifying a Saiga to accept greater than 10 round magazines makes it so it no longer has a "sporting purpose" and would need to be in compliance with 18 USC 922(r). Failure to comply is a Federal felony.

axhoaxho
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/004-14.jpg

Hi SJgunguy24,

May I ask what is the light and its mount that you use? It looks compact and solid.

Thanks,

bigthaiboy
03-24-2011, 10:38 PM

So, my understanding from reading around is if you decide to add a bullet guide, you now have to comply with 922r. No bullet guide= no 922r

Attaching hi-cap magazines on imported "sporting rifles" is not a grey area. Here is an ATF clarification letter on 922(r), dated June 25th 2006:

"Thank you for visiting ATF's Website. I apologize for the delay in responding,
but our FTB was backlogged with inquiries.

As stated on our site, generally, we do not answer technical questions via
e-mail, but I contacted our Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) and was advised the
following:

"Modifications to Imported SKS and AK Type Rifles

ATF's Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) received many letters asking about the
legality of making modifications to imported semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. Section 922®, specifically states
the following:

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any
semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun
prohibited from importation under the Section 925(d)(3)...as not being
particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes...
Also, 27 C.F.R. Section 478.39 (formerly 178.39) states-

"...(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more
than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of this section if the
assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not
being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purpose.....

(B) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a
licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof
or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or
experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions
of[§478.151(formerly 178.151)]; or (3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which
had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30,
1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

© For purposes of this section, the term imported parts [tabulated below]
are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver
castings, forgings, or castings.
(2) Barrels.
(3) Barrel extensions.
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions).
(5) Muzzle attachments.
(6) Bolts.
(7) Bolt carriers.
(8) Operating rods.
(9) Gas pistons.
(10) Trigger housings.
(11) Triggers.
(12) Hammers.
(13) Sears.
(14) Disconnectors.
(15) Buttstocks.
(16) Pistol grips.
(17) Forearms, handguards.
(18) Magazine bodies.
(19) Followers.
(20) Floor plates.

As a result of a 1989 study by the U.S. Treasury Department regarding the
importability of certain firearms, an import ban was placed on military-style
firearms. This ban included not only military-type firearms, but also extended
to firearms with certain features that were considered to be "nonsporting."
Among such nonsporting features were the ability to accept a detachable
magazine, folding/telescoping stocks, separate pistol grips, ability to accept a
bayonet, flash suppressors, bipods, grenade launchers, and night sights. The
exception for this criteria is curios and relics in their original military
configuration i.e. the Yugoslavian SKS 59/66. Yugoslavian SKS 59/66 rifles can
be modified by removing offending features (as in the State of California) but
not adding features.

Determinations regarding the suitability for sporting purposes are made on a
case-by-case base and often will require review by the Firearms Technology
Branch. Rifles that are prohibited from importations include:

1. Semiautomatic versions of machineguns
2. Rifles chambered to accept a centerfire cartridge case having a length of
2.25 inches or less (includes .223 and 7.62 X 39); AND
3. Rifles that have the ability to accept a detachable large capacity magazine
originally designed and produced for a military assault rifle or be easily
modified to accept such a magazine with only minor adjustments to the rifle.

Non-sporting features may be removed from SKS and AK type rifles without
violating 922®, i.e. bayonet, bayonet lug, bipod, grenade launcher, flash
suppressor, and night sight. Any additions to SKS and AK type rifles would
make them nonsporting firearms that would be in violation of 922®. These
additions include: replacing the thumbhole stock with a pistol grip and
military style stock and/or modifying the firearm to accept a high capacity
magazine.

In order to modify SKS or AK type rifles and avoid any violations of 922®, you
will have to replace the foreign parts, except for 10, with U.S.-made parts. As
previously stated, no more than 10 of the above 20 foreign parts can be
installed after the modification.

You can remove the Night Sights, Grenade Launcher, Grenade Launcher
Sight, Bayonet, and Bayonet lug without repercussion as removal of items has no
bearing under Federal law."

Your proposal makes the following changes:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver
castings, forgings, or castings.
(2) Barrels.
(3) Barrel extensions. None on SKS
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions). None on SKS
(5) Muzzle attachments. Removed
(6) Bolts.
(7) Bolt carriers.
(8) Operating rods. None on SKS
(9) Gas pistons. Replaced with US part
(10) Trigger housings.
(11) Triggers.
(12) Hammers.
(13) Sears.
(14) Disconnectors.
(15) Buttstocks. Replaced with US part
(16) Pistol grips. None on SKS
(17) Forearms, handguards. Replaced with US part
(18) Magazine bodies. Replaced with US part
(19) Followers. Replaced with US part
(20) Floor plates. Replaced with US part

The resulting firearm would have items 1, 2, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14

Since the proposed rifle would only have 9 imported parts, the modifications
would be legal under Federal law."

If you have any further questions, please call them on 304-260-1700.

Source: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/19536-922r-clarification-from-the-atf/

cfm117
03-24-2011, 10:59 PM
These additions include: replacing the thumbhole stock with a pistol grip and
magazine.

That about sums up bullet guides and 922r.

bigthaiboy
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
These additions include: replacing the thumbhole stock with a pistol grip and
magazine.

That about sums up bullet guides and 922r.

Rifles that are prohibited from importations include:

1. Semiautomatic versions of machineguns
2. Rifles chambered to accept a centerfire cartridge case having a length of
2.25 inches or less (includes .223 and 7.62 X 39); AND
3. Rifles that have the ability to accept a detachable large capacity magazine originally designed and produced for a military assault rifle or be easily modified to accept such a magazine with only minor adjustments to the rifle.

And technically, even without a bullet guide, since making minor adjustments to the rifle to accept military AW magazines is sufficient to trigger 922(r).

ZX-10R
03-25-2011, 8:48 AM
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/
Accept no substitutes

This...BP-02.