PDA

View Full Version : Going to make a J&G Sales run in January/February (Cancelled)

OHOD
12-21-2010, 9:49 AM
I need to go for a road trip, just to get away for a few days.
So, I'm going to make a J&G Sales run.

My C&R in hand and about $1000 to spend.

What should I buy?

I'm thinking MN revolver, CZ pistol and 2-rifles.
I already have a Mosin Nagant 91/30, but will consider a hex receiver or laminated stock.

Also, I plan on buying one of the crates rifles come in, to store stuff.
Since I have a pick-up truck, I can bring back more than a few.
Anyone interested in one of those crates? If so, PM me.
East Bay area only.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/joanneohod/crate.jpg

nick
12-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Check out their K-31s. They didn't have good CZ-82s last weekend, but they might have more when you go there. Check with them before you go.

Also, check out Yugo M57s. I cleaned up one of the 2 I got from them, and it has a VERY nice trigger. It was even decent when it was full of cosmo.

Or you can just go for a 28/76 Mosin-Nagant, they had a few of those. Very nice rifles.

Lucky Scott
12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow, I envy you. I have been wanting to do this since last summer.

Talked to a friend that lives in Lake Havasu and he said it is a good 4 to 5 hour drive from his house. Still, I would love to drive out and get some stuff.

Buy lots of ammo.

Lucky Scott
12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
HHMMMM, just did a mapquest and if I go straight down the I 10 it is a 7 hour drive. My Havasu buddy does not have any roads that go straight across due to the mountains.

Fireguy
12-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Where is J&G sales and do they have nice toys?

beerbudget
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Prescott, AZ. Yes, nice toys! www.jgsales.com

VegasND
12-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Don't be in too big a hurry to buy. Drive around and look in the other gun shops in Prescott and Prescott Valley. Sometimes you find very cool stuff for good prices at other stores too.

They all know the prices J&G sells for and will often price their own good accordingly.

trashman
12-21-2010, 1:34 PM
Don't be in too big a hurry to buy. Drive around and look in the other gun shops in Prescott and Prescott Valley. Sometimes you find very cool stuff for good prices at other stores too.

Got any specific stores in mind? I'm also planning a J&G run in the spring, and I'd like to check out the other local stores and would love some recommendations if you have any.

--Neill

VegasND
12-21-2010, 2:00 PM
Got any specific stores in mind? I'm also planning a J&G run in the spring, and I'd like to check out the other local stores and would love some recommendations if you have any.

--Neill
Just Google and check them all. I've bought several guns from Prescott Valley Guns and there's a couple of other dealers in Prescott Valley -- I always look at used guns and C&Rs at all of them. There's only 2 I don't ever expect to find a good deal at but I look there anyway -- High Country Guns at White Spar and Copper Basin Road, and Yavapai Pawn on Montezuma. It takes me about 3 hours to hit them all if I don't buy anything.

John Browning
12-21-2010, 2:25 PM
I'd be tempted to drop it all on handguns unless you find a 91/30 that is something really special.

HskrVern
12-21-2010, 2:29 PM
I'm going there in that same time frame. 'Cept my wife gave me 3k to spend :cool2:. BTW leave me 2 M57s and a good K-31.

trashman
12-21-2010, 2:30 PM
Just Google and check them all. I've bought several guns from Prescott Valley Guns and there's a couple of other dealers in Prescott Valley -- I always look at used guns and C&Rs at all of them. There's only 2 I don't ever expect to find a good deal at but I look there anyway -- High Country Guns at White Spar and Copper Basin Road, and Yavapai Pawn on Montezuma. It takes me about 3 hours to hit them all if I don't buy anything.

Got it - thank you!

OHOD
12-21-2010, 5:54 PM
Sounds like Prescott is C&R heaven.

Anchors
12-21-2010, 7:59 PM
I'm going there in that same time frame. 'Cept my wife gave me 3k to spend :cool2:. BTW leave me 2 M57s and a good K-31.

Man, by the time I'm older and have a real job all the good milsurp is going to be dried up. Damn it.

I've been thinking about getting an Nagant Revolver because my GF wants a revolver and it is ultra cheap and is Russian (awesome). But I think I'll pass after seeing the ammo prices that I saw.

Congrats to you guys.

Interloper
12-21-2010, 9:32 PM
If it were me it would be all pistols. The Nagant and CZ that you mention plus a Tok. One of each plus a Spam can of ammo each would easily top your $1000 budget.

OHOD
12-21-2010, 9:49 PM
If it were me it would be all pistols. The Nagant and CZ that you mention plus a Tok. One of each plus a Spam can of ammo each would easily top your $1000 budget.

Not a bad idea, after all, rifles can be bought easy enough online. Hmmm, got me thinking now.

ATS76
12-22-2010, 12:19 AM
PM sent on the crates.

stevie
12-22-2010, 3:44 AM
Pick up anything/everything C&R that J&G will not ship to you direct.

morrcarr67
12-22-2010, 6:58 AM

That's what I was gonna say :)

trashman
12-22-2010, 7:00 AM
Pick up anything/everything C&R that J&G will not ship to you direct.

^^^ This.

I've had a CZ-83 for over a decade - love that pistol, I think the ergonomics are highly underrated - and look forward to having an -82 to go with it. And the Tokarev, too...

--Neill

VegasND
12-22-2010, 9:02 AM
Man, by the time I'm older and have a real job all the good milsurp is going to be dried up. Damn it.

I've been thinking about getting an Nagant Revolver because my GF wants a revolver and it is ultra cheap and is Russian (awesome). But I think I'll pass after seeing the ammo prices that I saw.

Congrats to you guys.
As for the GOOD surplus drying up ... that happened many years ago!!

.22guy
12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
It would be several pistols for me, maybe some pistol ammo.

OHOD
12-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Looks like the overwhelming opinion is to pick-up pistols and revolvers.

By the way, I plan to pick-up 6 rifle crates.

Only 1 left!
If you want it, PM me!

OHOD
12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
All 6 rifle crates are accounted for!

bruceflinch
12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
So C&R pistols in AZ are exempt from a 10 day wait?

HskrVern
12-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Cash and Carry C&R pistols with your TY03 FFL. When I picked up my Cz82 it took 8 minutes from the time I hit the door 'till I drove out the parking lot.

Interloper
12-22-2010, 11:55 AM

You're supposed to register them with CA DOJ within five days of bringing them home. $19 fee each :eek: What a crock.

timdps
12-22-2010, 12:15 PM
OHOD, be sure you mail a signed copy of your 03 to J&G well before you go so they will have it on file. Someone posted here that he had problems buying because it takes a couple of days for J&G to verify the 03.

tim

VegasND
12-22-2010, 12:19 PM
AZ has no waiting periods on any firearm purchases.

andrewak47
12-22-2010, 3:25 PM
AZ has no waiting periods on any firearm purchases.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw a posting about someone going to J&G and bought a C&R rifle. He couldn't take it home that day, instead they shipped it out to his own address on their dime. Is that true?

TRICKSTER
12-22-2010, 3:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw a posting about someone going to J&G and bought a C&R rifle. He couldn't take it home that day, instead they shipped it out to his own address on their dime. Is that true?

No, I go there at least twice a year and have never had this happen. I have always left with what I purchased.

For those of you wanting crates, last time I was there (September) the selection was very poor and I was only able to find one decent rifle crate and 4 decent pistol crates. I hope you have better luck.

VegasND
12-22-2010, 4:54 PM
Was it a problem with his 03 FFL? I can't think of any other reason for them to hold the rifle.
No, I go there at least twice a year and have never had this happen. I have always left with what I purchased.
Most of the US is like that.
For those of you wanting crates, last time I was there (September) the selection was very poor and I was only able to find one decent rifle crate and 4 decent pistol crates. I hope you have better luck.
That mirrors my experience. They stack those outside and many of them look like firewood ... few look to make it there in good condition; consequently, I've never bought one.

OHOD
12-22-2010, 5:26 PM
OHOD, be sure you mail a signed copy of your 03 to J&G well before you go so they will have it on file. Someone posted here that he had problems buying because it takes a couple of days for J&G to verify the 03.

tim

Check!
I mailed it out yesterday ;)

Next week I'm going to give them a call to make sure my license is on file.
I'm also going to see if they will pull aside 6 good rifle crates for me. We will see.

andrewak47
12-22-2010, 5:54 PM
Was it a problem with his 03 FFL? I can't think of any other reason for them to hold the rifle.

Most of the US is like that.

That mirrors my experience. They stack those outside and many of them look like firewood ... few look to make it there in good condition; consequently, I've never bought one.

probably....I think he didn't send his paper in to J&G beforehand. That delayed the process and so it had to be shipped to him.

nick
12-22-2010, 6:48 PM
Cash and Carry C&R pistols with your TY03 FFL. When I picked up my Cz82 it took 8 minutes from the time I hit the door 'till I drove out the parking lot.

Lucky you. It took me 2.5 hours... Of course, I had to go through half of their inventory first :D

nick
12-22-2010, 6:52 PM

tim

This was posted by someone in my thread, and I didn't have this problem when I went to J&G last weekend. I just needed to bring a signed copy of my 03 FFL. I actually emailed them prior to coming asking about this, and they responded saying that they don't call in to verify 03 FFLs. So, no issue there.

Needless to say, I left with everything I purchased, both rifles and handguns.

Here's the email I got from J&G:

Sir,
As long as the C&R is ink signed and matches your [driver's] license everything should be fine. We do not call the ATF on C&Rs. We do verify the dealer licenses which may be where the confusion is at.

J&G Sales

WW2Buff
12-22-2010, 7:14 PM
If I were you I would pick up a K31 with matching bayonet, Yugo Tok, check out the Enfields and spend the rest on ammo. Good luck with your decisions. Sounds like a great trip! -Ben

Dr.Mauser
12-22-2010, 7:18 PM
looks like they have a couple of M1 Carbines in stock! Maybe youll get there in time to pick one up :D

OHOD
12-30-2010, 4:34 PM
Update, I'm still planning to go.

SoCal Bob
12-30-2010, 5:25 PM
FYI - I was there in October with an 03FFL that was so new the ink was probably still wet on the original and I walked out with a Mosin 91/30 and a Nagant M1895. Take more copies of the license than you think you'll need, just in case :D

I gave them the copy when I was there, I hadn't mailed it ahead of time.

OHOD
12-30-2010, 5:29 PM
FYI - I was there in October with an 03FFL that was so new the ink was probably still wet on the original and I walked out with a Mosin 91/30 and a Nagant M1895. Take more copies of the license than you think you'll need, just in case :D

They already of my license on file. :D
Sent it as soon as I got it.

The big deal is that I like to travel and this gives me an excuse to get out of town.
I plan on getting at least 2-3 variations of the M1895. Funny how that thing works, the cylinder and all that.

River Jack
12-30-2010, 5:36 PM
Interested in one or two of those crates if you find there's still room. Also, I second the C&R handgun priority over the rifles for the same reasons already stated. However, look carefully at the rifles as well, as there just might be something extra special that you just might have to have.

TRICKSTER
12-30-2010, 6:27 PM
Walther P1's just made the C&R list. Hopefully J&G will get some in stock for your trip.

OHOD
12-30-2010, 8:36 PM
Walther P1's just made the C&R list. Hopefully J&G will get some in stock for your trip.

There ya go!
Thanks for the tip!

RaceDay
12-30-2010, 8:57 PM
Buy the pistols. CZ82 and Yugo M57 (actually any Tokarev) are great for $200. Nagant pistol is cool due to low price but ammo is expensive and the trigger tends to be horribly heavy. A P1 would be nice to get if you want something in 9mm (although there are much nicer non-C&R 9's for a little bit more).

Also, don't forget the ammo. Tokarev ammo remains dirt cheap. Yugo stuff is non-magnetic and very nice. I've never gotten the Polish (< 10c is cheap enough for me and I didn't want the hassles of the cracked necks). 9x18 is around 20c a round. So the M57 and CZ82 are cheap to shoot but ammo may be scarce after February. So I'd set aside a portion of your $$$ as ammo budget.

Also, J&G should continue to sell ammo to CA residents who have C&R and COE so if you have COE then the ammo may be less of a priority.

Have fun!

OHOD
01-09-2011, 7:50 PM
Considering the recent events in Arizona, I've decided not to go for now.

The idea of getting pulled over for speeding with a truck full of rifle crates is a bit much.

Interloper
01-09-2011, 8:10 PM

The idea of getting pulled over for speeding with a truck full of rifle crates is a bit much.

That's disappointing. :(

mievil
01-09-2011, 8:36 PM

Don't speed. :confused:

VegasND
01-09-2011, 8:50 PM
You're worrying for no reason.

Anchors
01-09-2011, 8:56 PM

Dude.

You're worrying for no reason.

This^.

I was just there shooting (well it was before that).
As long as you are legal then you don't need to worry.
It's Arizona, not California.
If anything everyone I know there is surprised a citizen didn't start shooting back. Most people I know that aren't even in to guns have at least a handgun at home and open/concealed carry from time to time.
And that is Phoenix, not the boondocks.

trashman
01-09-2011, 9:03 PM
I'm still planning on making a trip. The AZ tragedy is terrible but if I'd planned to go this weekend I still would have gone -- I'd be more worried about dodging TV cameras looking for "man on the street" interviews outside a gunstore than anything else.

Exercise that C&R FFL!!!!

--Neill

devilinblack
01-09-2011, 9:04 PM
And so the (terrorists/gun banners) win! ;-)

Seriously though, I wouldn't let this slow me down for a second. The only thing keeping me from making the drive to J&G is the fear that I'd have to hitch-hike back because I'd happily sell my truck so I could buy more guns. However, on my next trip to Salt Lake I may see if I can plot a route through there. At least then I'd *have* to keep the truck to continue the trip to see my family.

TRICKSTER
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Don't let this ruin your trip. This was a targeted assassination attempt with the nutcase suspect in custody, not a terrorist attack with outstanding suspects on the loose. Arizona LEO's are not going to become trigger happy just because someone has a bunch of wood boxes in their truck. Heck, I went through the Hoover Dam security checkpoint with the crates in the back of my van. Just told the cops they were empty and that they could check them if they wanted, no problems. They could have been full and it still wouldn't have been a problem, it's not CA.
Don't let the CA gun paranoia get to you, once you get out of CA, people don't fear guns the way they do here.

pingpong
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I wish I could justify going down to J&G to pick up some C&Rs, but short of visiting the Grand Canyon (which I've yet to do) I just can't seem to find a reason to go to AZ.

Maybe I can justify a trip next year by combining it with a Cal-ASU game roadtrip to Tempe...

Anchors
01-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm still planning on making a trip. The AZ tragedy is terrible but if I'd planned to go this weekend I still would have gone -- I'd be more worried about dodging TV cameras looking for "man on the street" interviews outside a gunstore than anything else.

Exercise that C&R FFL!!!!

--Neill

I would gladly do that interview just so I could say, "I don't see what a gun shop has to do with this event".
I doubt there will be any man on the street gun store interviews in AZ.

I wish I could justify going down to J&G to pick up some C&Rs, but short of visiting the Grand Canyon (which I've yet to do) I just can't seem to find a reason to go to AZ.

Maybe I can justify a trip next year by combining it with a Cal-ASU game roadtrip to Tempe...

Dude, Phoenix is awesome! (my hometown). I include Tempe/Scottsdale/Chandler/Mesa/Gilbert in that (think of L.A. being essentially everything in L.A. county).
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country, bigger than every city in CA except L.A., and extremely gun-friendly. What isn't to love?
You can't go wrong in Tempe or Scottsdale. Some of the most beautiful women I've seen so far compared to many other states and countries.
Just hangout and enjoy concealed/open carry at leisure.
Enjoy not worrying whether your guns are being transported properly.
No one cares at all there. LEO included. Guns are just guns.

OHOD
01-10-2011, 6:26 AM
I agree that the concern is unreasonable and that I have nothing to worry about, but sometimes I have to follow my gut feeling.
As a nurse, I have gut feelings all the time regarding untoward patient problems. This is one of those times and I always listen to my gut feeling.

I appreciate everyone's comments and I agree with many of them.
A delay is okay.

morrcarr67
01-10-2011, 7:51 AM
Don't speed. :confused:

:iagree:

morrcarr67
01-10-2011, 7:53 AM
And so the (terrorists/gun banners) win! ;-)

I hope the OP will think about this. :rolleyes:

pullnshoot25
01-10-2011, 8:11 AM
Just freaking go for ****'s sake.

Some of you guys seem to be way too paranoid.

Interloper
01-10-2011, 1:11 PM
Well what can you do? I think we were all living vicariously through OHOD on this trip. If she doesn't feel right about it anymore then that's that.
I gotta say, though. I haven't been this disappointed about something since the last episode of Seinfeld.

OHOD
01-10-2011, 1:54 PM
Well what can you do? I think we were all living vicariously through OHOD on this trip. If she doesn't feel right about it anymore then that's that.
I gotta say, though. I haven't been this disappointed about something since the last episode of Seinfeld.

How about this. When Jan/Feb comes around I will re-evaluate.
I know how you feel about Seinfeld.

HskrVern
01-10-2011, 2:43 PM
Pffft, my happy *** will still be going in Feb and snagging a years worth of ammo in the process.

pingpong
01-10-2011, 4:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, for those from the Bay Area, do you take go straight to Arizona in one drive, or do you make a pit stop somewhere (LA or Vegas maybe)?

OHOD
01-10-2011, 5:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, for those from the Bay Area, do you take go straight to Arizona in one drive, or do you make a pit stop somewhere (LA or Vegas maybe)?

I like driving, so I will probably do the ride in one shot. Start at around 4 a.m.
Drove from Salt Lake City to Walnut Creek in 1 day. 720 miles.

(did I just say I was going to go to JG Sales?)

mievil
01-10-2011, 6:02 PM
Dude, Phoenix is awesome! What isn't to love?

120 degree days for 3 months straight.

Nights that don't drop below 100.

No water.

Rocks and cactus.

Green rocks instead of lawns.

Decorated cactus instead of Christmas trees.

Dust storms.

Air conditioning bills.

I could go on if you want. :p Lived there for 2 years and couldn't wait to get out. Prescott, Flag, Sedona, are awesome. Phoenix......meh.