PDA

View Full Version : CMMG 5.5" Upper Range Report

shadow65
12-13-2010, 3:58 PM
Snow and Ice on the ground so I headed for the indoor range.
It's ok but not ideal for me to test. I can't really use a sand bag, lighting isn't great, and the targets move.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/CMMG_5_5_22_upper_007.JPG

CMMG 5,5" .22 upper
Midwest Industries T-Series 7" Free Float
Midwest Industries Low Profile folding BUIS front and rear
Primary Arms Reflex Green Dot
TAC65 Suppressor with a .215 spacer

The sights and Reflex work great together. With the sights folded, I can clearly see the dot optic.
With the sights deployed, I can easily see the irons. They are above the optic when deployed. Perfect for this build.

I wanted a nice build that looked good, function well, was lite weight, and didn't break the bank.
This fills that very nicely.
Weighs in at 5.8 lbs. with the suppressor, unloaded.

I ran 400 rounds of Winchester 555 through it. Zero failures. I'm not surprised. What did surprise me was the accuracy. Even shooting standing and supporting myself against the partition, I was shooting 1.5" at 25 yards fairly consistently. It grouped very well.
This was also running suppressed.
The BHOA worked great with the set up.

I used the Reflex Green Dot sight from Primary Arms as my optic. Once dialed in it stayed zeroed and was very easy to see. The lighting is fluorescent the range. The green dot stood out very well on the target. Dot was fairly sharp. For me, I would like the dot a little dimmer but I think the fluorescent lighting was affecting it. I generally keep my Aimpoint turned down low.
The PA Green Reflex was perfect for this lite weight build. I mounted it directly to the rail. It was easy for me to see the dot with a check weld.

The Midwest Industries T-Series 7" Railed Hand guard was another big winner for this set up. Looks great, mounted easily, is very lite and has a mid price. T-Marks were sharp, anodizing was real nice and the color was consistent and dark. All I needed to mount the rail was a G.I. armorers wrench. The pins on the wrench fit the M.I. barrel nut perfectly.

I also used M.I. Low Profile folding BUIS on the build. The sights set very low and the Reflex sight Cleared the BUIS with no problem. Sight picture was unobstructed. When the BUIS was deployed, it was high enough to clear the Reflex sight, again, the sight picture was unobstructed.

This set up went together perfectly and didn't break the bank.

I'm again impressed but not surprised with the reliability of CMMG's pistol uppers. Best part is, it's the same bolt set up as in all the other .22 set ups CMMG makes. This means if you already have a bolt and want to build a pistol upper, you don't need another bolt or any changes made to that bolt. Just plug and play.

I'll get to the real range for some accuracy testing but the CMMG Pistol offering is a definite winner.
Dave

Jake71
12-19-2010, 7:59 PM
Cool.

I'm considering driving to Riflegear tomorrow and getting the cmmg upper just to have something that is more economical to shoot.

shadow65
12-20-2010, 5:42 AM
Make sure you buy plenty of .22 ammo. And be prepared to smile:D

ummagawd
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
So... Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on laws... But do SBR laws apply to rimfire? Or are you just out of state (hence the suppresor too)

762.DEFENSE
12-21-2010, 12:36 PM
It's my understandings you can't have a SBR or SBS in CA regardless of the caliber.

shadow65
12-21-2010, 2:08 PM
I live in Indiana. I joined here because I saw questions about the CMMG .22 Evolution. I do field testing and R&D for CMMG. I use the same pictures on all forums.

Same upper in Pistol form. I also have a fake can for it when I don't use the real suppressor.
AR Pistols, from what I understand, are legal in CA.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/7_5_Piston_004.JPG
Dave

nrakid88
12-21-2010, 3:04 PM
I do field testing and R&D for CMMG.
Dave

Lucky sob

shadow65
12-21-2010, 7:23 PM
CMMG has been a great group to work with.
You will like this one too! Latest test model:
7.5" 5.56 Piston Pistol Upper.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/7_5_Piston_003.JPG

xibunkrlilkidsx
12-21-2010, 7:48 PM
Why do you torture us. that is just mean.

But very nice rifle. :-D

shadow65
12-22-2010, 6:21 AM
We complain here about not having short barrelled shotguns:rolleyes:

You have the weather, we have the SBR's and cans.

capitol
12-24-2010, 7:26 AM
Any idea when CMMG will make the pistol uppers available to purchase?

shadow65
12-24-2010, 6:05 PM
I'm pushing them to release them very soon. Field testing has been great. They run just like the 16" uppers. Very reliable.
I was suprsed at the groups I got with a 5.5" barrel. About 1.5" at 25 yards with Winchester 555.
I'll be talking to them this coming week.
Dave