PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got this upper yet AR 17hmr

m98
11-19-2010, 3:37 AM
http://www.alexanderarms.com/item/27/164/17HMRCompleteRifle.htm

Looks like my next AR build. Anybody else like this taste.

Cuda440
11-19-2010, 5:59 AM
If it's a recoil operated system, I would steer clear of it. The 17hmr is not a good round for any semi auto recoil operated systems, that's why there's a recall on the Remington 597/17's. Because of the extreme case pressures of the 17hmr, the round will fire, and start to eject while still having enough pressure to rupture the case as it comes out of the chamber. It happened before on my 597, and it's not uncommon at all. It blew the mag out the bottom of the rifle, destroying the mag in the process, and blew the extractor hook and spring out the side. The case that came out was split all the way up the side, and the entire bottom of the case was missing, it was just a hollow tube left.

pennys dad
11-19-2010, 6:56 AM
Cuda is right on. Go to any Turners and the recall notice is on the shelf with the 17hmr

OC FNG
11-22-2010, 2:19 PM
Don't know if you've seen the review in "Complete AR Rifleman" this month but they reviewed it & addressed those issues.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/tiny-17-hmr-titan/

Cuda440
11-22-2010, 4:39 PM
Don't know if you've seen the review in "Complete AR Rifleman" this month but they reviewed it & addressed those issues.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/tiny-17-hmr-titan/

Hmmm, In my 597, it blew the extractor off, and destroyed the mag. In the A.A. rifle, it bent the extractor (which they fixed with pliers) and destroyed the mag. In both rifles, the only "reliable" factor was a ruptured case. I hope that no left handed shooters buy this, a case rupturing at thier face wouldn't be fun. If that extractor happens to break instead of bend, it could nail the guy next to you at the range, I doubt he would be happy about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 17hmr cartridge, but I have learned from my own experience, as well as the experience of others, that it is not well suited to a recoil-operated semi-auto platform. That is why I'm currently looking for a nice bolt action 17hmr that will fully support the round in the chamber untill all pressure is released.

m98
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Didnt they do the torture test on purpose by shooting nonstop without any cleaning whatsoever. From what i know the 17s dont like being dirty at all.

offrdmania
11-23-2010, 6:16 AM
That and ammo costs about the same as a .223 so in my eyes there is no point other than the wow factor

darqhelmet
11-24-2010, 7:48 PM
For that price and the price of ammo I would look at the 5.7 if you want an off caliber AR.

m98
11-24-2010, 10:07 PM
The thing about the 5-7 that i dislike is how its mag is positioned. Awkward. Not to mention how its going to work with the regular bb? With the hmr it can be almost as evil as it should be:) here in the prk.

m98
11-24-2010, 10:11 PM
That and ammo costs about the same as a .223 so in my eyes there is no point other than the wow factor

Not really. Hmr goes for around $10 per 50rds. 223 fmj goes for around $9-12 bucks for 20rds. The only upside is if one reloads the brass.