PDA

View Full Version : 9 X 25 reloading questions

maxxrange
11-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I have a pile o' 10 mike brass, a ton of 9 mike bullets and saw a thread here about big blue's 9 X 25 and thought what the heck.

Got the barrel and dies today. I used my universal decapper then ran the brass through the Dillon resize die. Everything was peachy except it would not bell the case mouth enough. I like it .001 smaller than the bullet. I primed and charged the cases then adjusted the Dillon seater die in my single stage press and it predictably crushed 3 out of ten shoulders. I was using 115 gr RN with the RN end of the seater stem.

I switched to a Lee Precision 9mm bullet seater and the crushed necks immediately went away. Using the chamber as a cartridge headspace gauge I found I had to remove the decapper rod and run about a dozen cartridges through it again to make the brass fit in the chamber.

What a pain. I am not a new reloader, been doing it for lets just say over 25 years. Tens of thousands of rounds. I currently load .38 super, .38 special, .357 mag, 9mm, 10mm and 45acp. .223 rem, .30 carbine, .308 win, .30-06 spfld. and .300 weatherby mag. < all of those combined have never been so difficult as these to reload.

What am I missing? Anyone have any trade secrets about how to load this beast?

ke6guj
11-12-2010, 10:14 PM
one thing I can think of is that the dillon dies are designed to be used with a dillon press and dillon uses the powder funnel to bell the case mouth, not the dies.

D.R.E.
11-12-2010, 11:54 PM
i used dillon dies and didn't have the problem you described.

On the other hand, the case mouth would split fairly often (1 out of 10?).

9x25 is a lot of fun. Sucker is *LOUD* for everyone else, but not so bad for the shooter. You ever need some undesirables to move a few lanes away, just rapid fire 9x25 for awhile.

DRAB_81
11-13-2010, 9:36 AM
one thing I can think of is that the dillon dies are designed to be used with a dillon press and dillon uses the powder funnel to bell the case mouth, not the dies.

BINGO!

When you size a 10mm case with the 9x25 Dillon die, it sizes the neck correctly, and leaves a little flare at the top to accept an expander die. You still have to bell the cases. I crushed a few cases before figuring this out. The RCBS 9mm expander die will bell the case, and has enough room to fit the 10mm case inside. it's the only die I know of that will bell these cases without using the Dillon system. Dillon doesn't include an expander die because they plan on you using a 9x25 toolhead, which comes with an expander/powder drop fitting. After you size the 10mm brass to 9x25 Dillon once, fire the cartridge, and resize again, you won't get that little flare at the top of the neck anymore. It threw me off the first time I sized my cases too. It's a tricky little round, but is a TON of fun once you get it down. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, I'm always happy to help.

Also remember that the 9x25 Dillon sizer isn't one that you can just screw down to the shell holder like most dies. You have to adjust it in order to get the proper head spacing for your barrel. Just use your barrel as the case gauge, and lock it down when you get where you want to be. I use Hornady Sure-Loc rings on all my dies, they seem to work best and don't damage the die threads with set screws. Good Luck! And have FUN!

FTC
11-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I also discovered the hard way as well that the rcbs 9mm expander was necessary with a single stage.
Now I just need to get the size adjusted better. All my rounds have functioned great except the neck has stretched enough that one case ripped in half. But this is my new favorite round by far. No recoil, huge flash and bang.

maxxrange
11-13-2010, 1:04 PM
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I just sized and belled another 100 with only 4 culls and they were from split brass rather than crushed brass. I only have two 9mm die sets. One Hornady and one Lee set. I am using the Hornady expander and so far so good. I cant wait to try these out.

MH9 I may take you up on your offer of advice as I would like to find some additional load data.

FTC
11-13-2010, 2:09 PM
Meathead has some interesting data that I've read as well as a lot of others over at glocktalk 10mm forum.

DRAB_81
11-13-2010, 6:17 PM
Meathead has some interesting data that I've read as well as a lot of others over at glocktalk 10mm forum.

I got 100% of my 9x25 Dillon education there. Go over to glocktalk, go into the "Gun Related Clubs" subforum, and scroll down to the "10mm Reloading Forum". There is a sticky the for 9x25 Dillon Load Data. I also got 100% of my 10mm education there too.

The King
11-13-2010, 9:19 PM
"I currently load .38 super, .38 special, .357 mag, 9mm, 10mm and 45acp. .223 rem, .30 carbine, .308 win, .30-06 spfld. and .300 weatherby mag. < all of those combined have never been so difficult as these to reload."

But had you loaded the terrible twins, the .38-40 and .44-40, you would know about frustration.

Your project sounds like fun, good luck.