PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Upper Ideas

GlockBlocker
11-10-2010, 4:47 PM
This will be my first "build". I got a JD stripped lower.

I have a Stag with an unmagnified red dot, so I want to set this one up for longer range.

I'm thinking of putting the Daniel Defense LPK in it and then a 16" Noveski or DD upper.

If I buy a full upper receiver, is that really a 'build' ? If I throw a good scope on, would it be good for longer distances?

What else should I be considering?

C_1
11-10-2010, 6:59 PM
Sounds like you want a Recce type AR to compliment your first build. Cant go wrong with Noveske or DD. I would also recommend LMT & BCM. But buying a complete upper doesnt count as a build, but thats what most folks do; it saves time/money/tools. So everybody basically just assembles their ARs.

dkthree
11-10-2010, 7:12 PM
If a longer distance build is what your looking at, scroll down to the SDM barrels... Not 16" but very nice!!!

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

gmcal
11-10-2010, 7:29 PM
So, you have a complete Stag with a rds? And you have a stripped lower and DD LPK? You want to build a longer range AR?

I would look into a stainless barrel that is 18"-20" long. See what WOA, Noveske, and BCM offer. Those are the only ones that come to mind right now, but there are probably others.

Don29palms
11-10-2010, 7:54 PM
www.blackholeweaponry.com makes quality barrels for an excellent price. For a complete SPR upper call Chris at Addax Tactical (http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/home.asp)

gmcal
11-10-2010, 8:23 PM
Just remembered Centurion Arms and MSTN.

Texas Boy
11-10-2010, 9:25 PM
the white oak barrels have a good reputation. The SPR 18" match barrel would be a great option. I noticed they offer it in both mid length and rifle gas systems. I always thought you wanted a rifle length gas system on a 18". Anyone know why you would go with a mid length on an 18"?

BTW - a fast twist (1:7) will allow you to stabilize longer/heavier bullets, which will help long range accuracy.

captbilly
11-10-2010, 10:34 PM
First you need the longest barrel that you can live with. Many of the serious long range AR shooters are using 24 - 26 inch barrels to get the maximum possible muzzle velocity. Depending on the ammo used you will lose varying amounts of muzzle velocity for every inch shorter than about 26". Though the difference between 16" and 18" may be fairly small the difference between 24" and 16 (especially if it is really a 14" barrel with a flash suppressor) is hundreds of feet per second.

Second you need to ensure that the barrel twist is sufficient to stabilize heavy/long bullets. If you want to go long range then you want a heavy bullet. Since heavy bullets are by necessity longer, they also require a faster spin to stay stable (not tumble). Early AR barrels have twist rates as low as 1 in 12, though most newer ones are from 1 in 9 to 1 in 7. I would recommend 1 in 8 as a good compromise for both light and heavy bullets, though many people get great results with 1 in 7 ( the standard twist on military M4s). A 1 in 8 will stabilize a 75 grain bullet and that is about the heaviest that will still fit in a magazine anyway. Some target shooters use 90 grain bullets for long range shooting but these normally have to be loaded one at a time since they are too long to fit in the magazine.

keson
11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
White oak barrel, Noveske, or Krieger

ChrisToad
11-11-2010, 12:18 AM
www.blackholeweaponry.com makes quality barrels for an excellent price.[/url]

24" barrels!!!! WANT WANT WANT!!!

GlockBlocker
11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the education on barrels. This is good motivation to really learn everything I need to build the upper instead of just buying a pre-assembled one. Besides the receiver, barrel, BCG, and charging handle, I'm not sure what else I need.

Bhobbs
11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the education on barrels. This is good motivation to really learn everything I need to build the upper instead of just buying a pre-assembled one. Besides the receiver, barrel, BCG, and charging handle, I'm not sure what else I need.

Gas block, gas tube, hand guards which if you want long range accuracy you would probably want a float tube. If you want a muzzle brake or no muzzle device at all.