PDA

View Full Version : question about what can and can't be on a semi-auto rifle

45DAVID1
11-09-2010, 8:44 PM
If a semi-auto rifle has a working full auto selector switch is that illegal?

I don't have one but would just like some clarification.

Mods feel free to move but I posted here because of the traffic in this section.

Don29palms
11-09-2010, 11:22 PM

Mods feel free to move but I posted here because of the traffic in this section.

NO!

pacrimguru
11-09-2010, 11:26 PM

??? if a "semi-auto" has a working full auto switch, then wouldn't that make it a full auto rifle? not sure what you are asking here.

jtmkinsd
11-10-2010, 12:17 AM
If you mean you have a lower on which a "full auto" position for the selector is marked, and you can actually move the selector to that position, but the gun will not fire "full auto", then yes...it is legal to own/possess, because it is still only a semi-auto rifle. The wisdom in owning such a lower is questionable IMHO. In my mind you would really just be inviting issues which could really complicate your life.

ohlone
11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
i think the full auto selector will not make a semi into a full auto, it only adds an additional safety position..... to my understanding that in the semi, when the full auto selector moves to full auto position, you wont be able to pull the trigger, am i right?

thedrickel
11-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Most FALs are like this, you can swing the selector over to A but it won't shoot full auto unless something is seriously wrong, and it will be uncontrollable. If everything is working right it will shoot one, load another, but the hammer will fall w/o setting off the primer and you will have to hand cycle it, tossing a loaded round, to reset the hammer.

ParallaxTactical.com
11-10-2010, 2:59 AM
It's generally not a good idea to have more than one M16 part in an AR-15 rifle. Most people might have a heavier M16 bolt carrier to help cycle but that should be it.

I would not have a auto-selector in your rifle even if you "liberated" one.

badicedog
11-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Per BATFE ruling, only the sear is a NO NO, but any M-16 parts such as the disconnector along with "happy switch"/M-16 selector can make your rifle fire more then 1 round per trigger pull.

The only definition of a machine gun in the regulations is "fires more than one bullet per pull of the trigger. ATF "RECOMMENDS" against use of M16 trigger parts because in can lead to a slam fire with worn parts or removal of the disconnector (acidental or otherwise).

The ATF considers the auto sear a MG part as it's only function is to allow the gun to shoot full auto. The ATF regulations do not mention M16 vs AR15 parts at all. Those parts are only mentioned in the ATF "RECOMMENDATION" letter they published years ago.

Why Why Why???? You're asking for a plate of ***** w/ peanuts on the side... lol Just stick to AR parts! LEO's or DA won't be understanding that you just want the "cool" look.

PEBKAC
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I seem to recall that having full-auto parts in a semi-auto rifle in CA is a no-no except for the BCG. So the selector would be a bad idea. See: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=256928

However, if you have a selector that can move to full auto but is not actually a full auto selector (modified semi selector that can go semi in the full position perhaps?) that should be okay. Though don't be surprised if a cop has problems with it...

stix213
11-10-2010, 2:10 PM
Problem is when a LEO sees your AR-15 being able to go to the FA position, you probably aren't going to be able to on the spot tell him "Try it, it will still be semi-auto." You could get your rifle and/or your freedom temporarily confiscated until it is cleared up at a later date.