PDA

View Full Version : Here's my list, what am I missing if anything?

Jake71
11-09-2010, 5:38 PM
First of all I'm watching Death Wish III and would love a Wildey .475Magnum.

Secondly, I hate these types of posts but until I know what I'm doing I have to ask at least once.

I've never put an AR15 together so all the little pieces might be overlooked.

All things considered I've done my shopping in my head considering I have not been to a lot of shops to see the stuff in person.

I pick up my JD Machine Tech lower on Monday and I have assembled a list of what I want in my build so please take a quick look and see if I've missed anything. Like the parts kits for lower/upper, do they include a firing pin? etc..

Daniel Defense Chrome Lined Barrel, 16" M4 Stripped
JD Machine Tech Flat-top upper receiver with M4 feedramps.
Stag Arms Semi-Auto Bolt Carrier Assembly Right
Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider 5.56mm, Agressive End
Yankee Hill Machine Diamond Series Forearm-Specter Length
Yankee Hill Machine Forearm End Cap-15/16" Inside Diameter
Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block
Magpul MBUS Front Back-Up Sight-Black
Magpul MBUS Rear Back-Up Sight-Black
Yankee Hill Machine EZ-Pull Takedown Pin Set
Yankee Hill Machine Bipod Adapter
Yankee Hill Machine Forearm Wrench
Magpul ACS Adaptable Carbine/Storage Stock, complete assembly-Black
I might get an Advanced Armament Blackout instead of the YHM but I'm not at that point yet and havn't looked at prices yet.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to suggestions and info.

Many thanks
Jake

C_1
11-09-2010, 6:08 PM
Looks like you got everything except for a mag lock (bullet button).

Are you assembling the upper yourself? If you must have the YHM handguards, I'd say go for it, if not, check out the DD package from smartgunner.com.

Jake71
11-09-2010, 9:21 PM
Oh yea.. I'll need a maglock as well. I like the look/concept of the Raddlock version.

thanks, almost missed that important item.

mikaarce
11-09-2010, 9:25 PM
Now get some pics and post your build.

U5512
11-09-2010, 9:31 PM
If you're putting everything together particulary the upper barrel assembly, you're a brave man. I believe you're aware that you need to check the head space for proper clearance, otherwise, chances of the gun malfunctioning and blowing up in your face is very good.

saber
11-09-2010, 9:59 PM
If you have experience assembling an upper from scratch and have access to all the tools that you need, please ignore this post. From your question about firing pins, I'm assuming you haven't put an upper together before. (The firing pin comes with the BCG or Bolt typically).

If you don't, I would strongly suggest getting a complete upper. Vendors like BCM have a huge variety of uppers using many of the components you listed. When you buy a complete upper, it is usually headspaced and test fired at the factory.

Building an AR-15 isn't that complicated but can get frustrating if something doesn't work right. If you buy a complete upper, you can rule that out as the source of any problems.

Kerplow
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
If you're putting everything together particulary the upper barrel assembly, you're a brave man. I believe you're aware that you need to check the head space for proper clearance, otherwise, chances of the gun malfunctioning and blowing up in your face is very good.

from what i understand, AR bolts being out of head space is a somewhat rare occurrence. you could always take bolt and barrel to a competent smith and have the head space checked, which is probably a good idea. other than that, its not that hard to assemble the upper. i did mine and it hasn't blown up in my face yet. i did however, purchase a head spaced bolt with my barrel.

Like the parts kits for lower/upper, do they include a firing pin? etc..

if you buy a complete Bolt carrier group it should come with a firing pin.

i didnt see a lower parts kit on your list, dont forget that!

also don't see a charging handle, gas tube, or forward assist kit.

Don29palms
11-09-2010, 10:54 PM
JD Machine Tech lower
Magpul ACS Adaptable Carbine/Storage Stock, complete assembly-Black
Lower Parts Kit (RRA LPK w/ Hogue grip?)

Daniel Defense Chrome Lined Barrel, 16" M4 Stripped
JD Machine Tech Flat-top upper receiver with M4 feedramps
Yankee Hill Machine Charging Handle
Stag Arms Semi-Auto Bolt Carrier Assembly Right (BCM BCG FA?)
Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider 5.56mm, Agressive End
Yankee Hill Machine Crush Washer
Yankee Hill Machine Diamond Series Forearm-Specter Length
Yankee Hill Machine Forearm End Cap-15/16" Inside Diameter
Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block
Yankee hill Machine gas tube and gas tube roll pin
Magpul MBUS Front Back-Up Sight-Black
Magpul MBUS Rear Back-Up Sight-Black
Yankee Hill Machine EZ-Pull Takedown Pin Set
Yankee Hill Machine Bipod Adapter
Yankee Hill Machine Forearm Wrench
Yankee Hill Machine Forearm Plug Kit

jshoebot
11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I'd go with a full-auto bolt carrier group as opposed to the semi-auto. Reason being the FA ones are more robust and heavier, creating more positive cycling and higher level of reliability (as there's more weight coming forward during cycling, increasing the probability of proper lock-up/chambering).