11-07-2010, 7:37 AM
ptr191 18 inch barrel
vs
fn308
vs
lmt 308

what are your thoughts?
ptr191 takes a dirst cheap g3 mags.
but how accurate and reliable is it. is it better than the original HK?

I saw vids of the fn 308 and it looks like it kicks but i never fired it

lmt has military contracts so it justifies its price. will the prices eventually drop since many ar co are getting into the ar market?
but I can buy 2 ptr191 for its price. anythoughts experience with the battle rifles? accuracy, reliability. and is it worth the $ (cost)

Group B
11-07-2010, 11:43 AM
what is an FN308?

BHPFan
11-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Which FN308?

FNAR?

FN SCAR H?

or the FN FAL copies?

jcaoloveshine
11-07-2010, 12:05 PM
General consensus is that the PTRs have heavier barrels than their HK counterparts and do shoot slightly better.

Of the 3 the PTR will probably be cheapest and have the cheapest mags, but the ergonomics might not be the best. PTR is probably a 2MOA gun.

The LMT 308 AR would probably be the most accurate, but I'm assuming an LMT 308 build would run you probably 2k+. LMT would be a sub-MOA gun.

And FNARs I've heard are accurate (1 MOA) but ugly as hell. FN FAL would be extremely reliable but the least accurate of the 3, these are probably 2-4MOA guns.

I think the most versatile of the 3 would be the LMT, since you can change it to CQB or long range. I mean the sights on the PTR aren't great for distance, and I don't know about the FAL sights since I've never shot one.

For 308s though you should also consider the M1A rifles, you can get a M1A Loaded model for probably around $1700 and they are very accurate and very reliable 308 battle rifles that do great at short and long range and have excellent iron sights that are great for distance shooting.

If you plan on running optics then I suppose the iron sights won't matter, but if you're undecided between iron sights or optics for longer range shooting the LMT or M1A would probably be your best choice.

swerv512
11-07-2010, 12:09 PM
General consensus is that the PTRs have heavier barrels than their HK counterparts and do shoot slightly better.

Of the 3 the PTR will probably be cheapest and have the cheapest mags, but the ergonomics might not be the best. PTR is probably a 2MOA gun.

The LMT 308 AR would probably be the most accurate, but I'm assuming an LMT 308 build would run you probably 2k+. LMT would be a sub-MOA gun.

And FNARs I've heard are accurate (1 MOA) but ugly as hell. FN FAL would be extremely reliable but the least accurate of the 3, these are probably 2-4MOA guns.

^^^
i'd tend to agree, but have little experience with the FNAR. i have shot a bud's PTR-91 and liked it immensely- even bought my own but never shot it. it is very fun to shoot and did not find it uncomfortable to me. Any AR in .308 should feel at least vaguely familiar if you own an AR in .223 already. this is probably the most accurate but suffers from the same problems as other ARs.

Jpach
11-07-2010, 12:16 PM
First of all, the LMT would be your best bet. The other rifles arent even in the same league. I have one and for me, even considering a PTR or FNAR is just blasphemous (Im very dedicated and loyal to my LMT).

With the LMT you have a quick change barrel, monolithic rail/receiver system, ambi mag release, damn nice 2-stage trigger, sub-MOA capable Chrome Lined barrel, quick-detach sling mount sockets, rediculous reliability (it beat the HK 417 when the British tested them), great magazines, and KAC ball sweat rubbed all over it.

The choice is simple really. Especially considering the fact that these LMTs can still be had for $2200-$2400. It also comes with front and rear BUIS and an LMT SOPMOD (of which I quickly sold both for a total of $260 to put to other gun related stuff).

Yes, you pay more, but you really do get a lot more. Plus, you can accessorize it just like you can with any other AR.

swerv512
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
^^^
agreed. it's obvious that price matters otherwise he wouldnt have even included the PTR. in reality, i'd just look at a GA tuned 308 and never look back.

ar15student
11-07-2010, 7:47 PM
what is an FN308?

FNH FNAR Heavy Fluted Barrel.308

ar15student
11-07-2010, 7:49 PM
what is an FN308?

FN HERSTAL S.A.AR Type Rifles FN Herstal 20 + 1 Round 308 Win. w/20" Heavy Fluted Barrel The FNAR puts autoloading and bolt-action accuracy in your hands. Every FNAR rifle must meet a 1 MOA or better accuracy specification, just like the FN SPR precision rifles. The receiver is constructed of aircraft grade alloy for light weight and strength. The fluted barrel is offered in a choice of light or heavy contours and features a hard chrome lining and recessed target crown for accuracy and long life.