PDA

View Full Version : How/where canI learn to rebarrel a rifle for accuracy?

Solidsnake87
11-03-2010, 9:43 AM
I really like learning to build and work my own guns. I would really like to learn how to re-barrel bolt action rifles for accuracy. Where can I learn how to acquire this skill? What tools are necessary?

I've been thinking of attending the Lassen Community College rifle barreling classes but they are quite a ways from where I'm located. Are there books on the subject? Or perhaps somebody willing to share their knowledge/expertise?

CSACANNONEER
11-03-2010, 9:46 AM
A friend of mine went back east and took a seminar on precision rifle building just before he got his 07. If you are interested in finding out more, shoot me a PM and I'll find out if it's a regular class or if it was a one time deal.

Juice5610
11-03-2010, 9:58 AM
CAPRC.COM

Solidsnake87
11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Precision rifle building is ultimately where I want to go with it. I'd like to ultimately be able to rebarrel and build my own custom bolt guns from start to finish.

Juice5610
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Precision rifle building is ultimately where I want to go with it. I'd like to ultimately be able to rebarrel and build my own custom bolt guns from start to finish.

Then ask this question over there(caprc.com).

mif_slim
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Gunsmithing school. ;)

kendog4570
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Gunsmithing school. ;)

This.

And also mentor/apprentice under a master riflesmith. The fundamentals for accuracy work apply across all of the shooting disciplines.

Pryde
11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Then ask this question over there(caprc.com).

Him and Randall aren't friends.

Peter.Steele
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I really like learning to build and work my own guns. I would really like to learn how to re-barrel bolt action rifles for accuracy. Where can I learn how to acquire this skill? What tools are necessary?

I've been thinking of attending the Lassen Community College rifle barreling classes but they are quite a ways from where I'm located. Are there books on the subject? Or perhaps somebody willing to share their knowledge/expertise?

www.mausercentral.com

In their tech talk forum there's a LOT about rebarreling Mauser actions. There's a lot of good general knowledge there that can transfer over to just about anything, though.

G-forceJunkie
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
See if any local colleges offer machining classes. Gunsmithing is nothing more than a specialized area of machining. The skills you need to rebarrel a rifle are pretty basic/intermediate machining skills ie turning between centers, single pointing threads, using a steady rest, use of precision measuring instruments, etc. Then, learn the specifics of rebarreling. See if you can find a copy of "The complete illlustrated guide to precision rifle barrel fitting" by john l. hinnant. I think Brownells sells it.

Solidsnake87
11-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, I'll look into this book as well as smithing classes.