PDA

View Full Version : anyone in So Cal good at removing rivets from an AK?

SVT_Fox
06-14-2006, 8:24 AM
My roommate and I both got rommy kits. We started preping and only got as far as grinding off the rivet heads and removing the old cut reciever. We have done our reading, and know we must get the barrel pin out to remover the front rivets. We just dont have the right tools to do this without damaging the gun.

We would be willing to pay for all service to complete the removel, and re install of the barrel. We can supply the new screws (yes were going the screw route), if anyone is interested in making some extra cash, shoot me a PM.

-M

fal_762x51
06-14-2006, 8:45 AM
If you can wait till I get back on the 1-7 of July I'll do them in Lancaster. Screw build huh? I'll help you rivet them too (you'll do the pressing and I'll help0.

glen avon
06-14-2006, 8:47 AM
yes, where are you. I'll do it cheap.

SVT_Fox
06-14-2006, 9:33 AM
santa barbara!

the screws need to be riveted?

sorry Im so new at this...

glen avon
06-14-2006, 10:03 AM
well I am 3 hours south of you. lancaster is closer to you.

you don't rivet the screws, you use screws where rivets once were.

SVT_Fox
06-14-2006, 10:18 AM
thats what I thought, 4 of the front screws need to be installed before the re install of the barrel correct?

We would be willing to ship you the parts and the screw kits..

lancaster is pretty far as well, where are you located. I live in northridge with my girl half the time..

glen avon
06-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I am southwest of san bernardino.

I would only be able to disassemble the kit, the scres are installed on the receiver.

where are you buying your receivers?

JPglee1
06-14-2006, 10:26 AM

I would only be able to disassemble the kit, the scres are installed on the receiver.

No, the screws go into the trunnion, which can be tapped ahead of time in preparation for the receiver shell. Once you get the receiver, screw and loctite it together. I personally would probably also JB weld or otherwise epoxy the trunnion to the receiver shell (and maybe the screws too)

I weld my stuff, but Im a certified welder (AWS) and I can do it without warping the receiver or ruining the trunnion.

Good luck!

JP

stevie
06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Hmmm, got 3 recievers and 2 romy kits, and wondering what to do with them.. :D

Charliegone
06-14-2006, 3:58 PM
If you are going to go take off the barrel you might as well do a rivet build IMO. I went a different way. I did rivets on the bottom trunion (and on the rest of the receiver) and on the upper trunion holes did u-drive screws. I didn't remove the barrel pin or anything. Works well. I have had no problems so far...Just now I am thinking of what to paint it with. Wish I can help you, but I can't. School starting, work...time is very limited.:(

Builder
06-14-2006, 4:13 PM
NDS-3 receiver & Romy parts kit??
If so, then consider a TIG welded build. Just 10 welds. There is no barrel removal and the rivets only need to be ground flush with the trunions. Screws can be used on the trigger guard. 1200 rounds through mine and all is well.
I'm in the San Fernando valley.
Builder

SVT_Fox
06-14-2006, 4:47 PM

im not sure as of yet, we are looking for a deal... like this

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=50714385

Im thinking this is my best bet, comes with custom numbers too, how much better can it get? besides milled of course.

can someone post a link to a place that sells the screw sets.. I was thinking they stuck out of the reciever, and had flush bolts to cap off the threads..thats why I thought the barrel needed to be taken off in order to fit the screw head on the inside.

SVT_Fox
06-14-2006, 4:48 PM
If so, then consider a TIG welded build. Just 10 welds. There is no barrel removal and the rivets only need to be ground flush with the trunions. Screws can be used on the trigger guard. 1200 rounds through mine and all is well.
I'm in the San Fernando valley.
Builder

how clean does it look, got any pics?

-M

cornholio1
06-14-2006, 5:56 PM

I am gonna build one by the end of this year. How much do you want for assembly?

dwtt
06-14-2006, 6:57 PM
Builder
Where do the welds go? I assume the front of the trunnion and on the inside of the receiver at the back of the trunnion, but I'm guessing here. Anyone know of someone in the SF bay area who can do this? I don't think I'll ever take apart my AK, so welding sounds good to me.

Santa Cruz Armory
06-14-2006, 7:05 PM
Hmmm, got 3 recievers and 2 romy kits, and wondering what to do with them.. :D

Hmmm? ...send them to me !:D

SVT_Fox
06-26-2006, 5:48 PM
still looking for someone to rivet these guns up, We will drive to your house, even if its far from santa barbara

-M

glen avon
06-26-2006, 5:57 PM
you can rivet them yourselves easily. buy pre-made rivet squeezers, and find a hammer and a vise and a workbech and off you go.

find a place to do it in So Cal and I will bring all the tools (except the rivet squeezer) and walk you through it.

SVT_Fox
06-26-2006, 6:25 PM
any recomendations?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&fnu=1&xpufu=x&satitle=rivet+squeezer&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=3%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=93109&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

glen avon
06-26-2006, 6:46 PM
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6559&highlight=cwtoyota

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10897&highlight=bolt+cutter