PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my AK47 project

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 8:04 PM
I just did the first two modifications to my GPWASR 10/63. The first is a brand new Tapco T6 collapsible butt stock. The second is a brand new Tapco AK74 muzzle break.

My next modification is the new Tapco intrafuse rifle handguard in black, which I am having to pick up from the Post Office on Monday. It has the top & bottom picatinny rails.

Then I need to find a decent red dot to attach on the picatinny rail. Thinking of getting this or something cheaper http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=402&categoryId=5 Any advices?

Then a sling! Any advices?
Will update when I get the Tapco handguard

epilepticninja
10-23-2010, 8:05 PM
hmmmm, where da pics?

chesterthehero
10-23-2010, 8:21 PM
ehh.. put the wood back on

WTSGDYBBR
10-23-2010, 8:32 PM
The wood looks better. If you want to make it look better remove the wood off the barrel. Tell you the truth a ak looks good with ak parts. But that's my take on .

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 8:37 PM
I'm picking up the Tapco intrafuse rifle handguard in black on Monday and will install and take pictures asap. It's going to be an all black theme. I sure love the new Tapco butt stock though.....It gives me more reach and it just feels more comfortable....

Shady
10-23-2010, 8:56 PM
:no::no:

pyro3k2
10-23-2010, 9:54 PM
Mounting a Red dot on the top hand guard will either be decent or terrible. I'd recommend getting the real russian side mount from Kalinka optics and putting the red dot on that. You can still use the top rail space for a 90 degree flash light mount and a AFG on the bottom if you are going for the modern tactical look. Another great upgrade is the SAW style grip, it's a must if you have hands larger than a 3rd grader's.

How does that muzzle brake work when compaired to the slant brake?

Peter.Steele
10-23-2010, 9:56 PM
I wonder if there would be a market for AK stocks that are just, like, 1.5" longer than stock, to make up for the short length of pull?

There was an old joke about how they were trying to shape the New Soviet Man by making him sit in the seats on Aeroflot flights. Looks like maybe they were trying to breed for short arms, too.

pyro3k2
10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I wonder if there would be a market for AK stocks that are just, like, 1.5" longer than stock, to make up for the short length of pull?

There was an old joke about how they were trying to shape the New Soviet Man by making him sit in the seats on Aeroflot flights. Looks like maybe they were trying to breed for short arms, too.

not sure if your making a joke or not...but if you aren't there is already a NATO length stock that is exactly 1.5" longer than the WARSAW pact length stock. you can get them at Midway even.

E-120
10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
NATO verse Warsaw length. Available from KVAR.

Peter.Steele
10-23-2010, 10:06 PM
not sure if your making a joke or not...but if you aren't there is already a NATO length stock that is exactly 1.5" longer than the WARSAW pact length stock.

Huh. I should have guessed.

No, actually I wasn't making a joke. I just think that putting something that looks that much like an AR-type stock on an AK looks ... odd. And I know that when I shoot an AK, I always feel like I need another inch and a half or so ... so it was just a random guess, and a thought about maybe finishing up building my CNC driver board and cutting out some longer AK stocks to throw up on Gunbroker. :p

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Heading out to the range tomorrow to test out the T6 stock and the AK74 muzzle break. From what my sister was telling me, it reduced the recoil anywhere from 45-65% and increased the sound of the rifle by a huge margin.

My plans for the rails are:
top rails: Leatherwood M-30 Red Dot Sight
bottom: flashlight and/or laser

pyro3k2
10-23-2010, 10:10 PM

No, actually I wasn't making a joke. I just think that putting something that looks that much like an AR-type stock on an AK looks ... odd. And I know that when I shoot an AK, I always feel like I need another inch and a half or so ... so it was just a random guess, and a thought about maybe finishing up building my CNC driver board and cutting out some longer AK stocks to throw up on Gunbroker. :p

lol no problem, it was the fact that you guessed the exact length increase that lead me to think it was a joke hehe
But if you can make them cheaper than this I will be interested in one of them, especially if it wood :)http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=997714

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
lol no problem, it was the fact that you guessed the exact length increase that lead me to think it was a joke hehe
But if you can make them cheaper than this I will be interested in one of them, especially if it wood :)http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=997714

I'll take one for my other AK47 too if it's cheap enough, and unfinished. Wouldn't it be better just to put a butt stock pad? That should give you that extra inch or two? I just want to make this one a modernized tactical AK47.

Peter.Steele
10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Hm.

Y'all're gonna make me pull out my soldering iron and finish building the machine, aren't you? :D I've got probably 10-15 hours left of work on it.

Know where I could find a solid blueprint of the original stock? What's the material?

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I can send you my original stock to you. But I'd like it back along with a free stock back in return? hehehe

C.W.M.V.
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Im with andrewak47, anyone who says the wood looks better on a WASR has probably never owned a WASR! My WASR wood was GOD AWFUL!
I actually think it looks alright in the last pic with the stock and wooden hand guards. Ultimac and a PA micro red dot would look pretty darn good on top.

Peter.Steele
10-23-2010, 10:47 PM
hah.

I'll see if I can find some blueprints. :P

I still have a good bit of work to do on finishing the CNC machine in the first place. :)

slomofo
10-23-2010, 10:49 PM
ehh.. put the wood back on

Romanian wood looks like crap, If that were mine, I'd rather finish the romanian wood before putting it back on or stick with the Tapco, but that stock Romy wood is just terrible.

http://www.timbersmithusa.com/

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 10:57 PM
This is what I'm really going for and "I'll" be happy with it. Sporty, modern, ninja looking AK47.

C.W.M.V.
10-23-2010, 10:59 PM
oh...well then...
Hey to each their own, have fun with it! Have you shot it yet?

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Romanian wood looks like crap, If that were mine, I'd rather finish the romanian wood before putting it back on or stick with the Tapco, but that stock Romy wood is just terrible.

http://www.timbersmithusa.com/

When it comes to looks it comes with a price, $130 there on that website. I don't have long arms but I do like the fact that now I can extend the butt back and feel comfortable. I rather shoot with confident than shoot with beauty. If that makes any sense, LOL.

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 11:05 PM
oh...well then...
Hey to each their own, have fun with it! Have you shot it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxy9FERqosQ ;)

I'll do another video with the AK74 muzzle break.

C.W.M.V.
10-23-2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxy9FERqosQ ;)

I'll do another video with the AK74 muzzle break.

Sweet!
Hows your group at 100 meters?
I have a 74 brake on my 74. Seems to work, but the 5.45 doesn't make much recoil to begin with.

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Here's the first 30 shots at 100 yards. Not bad at all. This was two weeks ago when I just got my rifle.

andrewak47
10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
C.W.M.V. - Did I mentioned to you I bought another WASR10? I did....and I got the same stock that you have on your WASR10 from copes. I'm done with buying rifles. Just gather a few more gears for the WASRS and I'm ready to attack the zombies!

C.W.M.V.
10-23-2010, 11:41 PM
C.W.M.V. - Did I mentioned to you I bought another WASR10? I did....and I got the same stock that you have on your WASR10 from copes. I'm done with buying rifles. Just gather a few more gears for the WASRS and I'm ready to attack the zombies!

Damn go for it dude! I almost want to get a WASR 2 but I already have the 5.45 rifle, and Ive got the Draco and the 10/63, and the PSL. Im running out of reasons to buy more rifles!

ZX-10R
10-24-2010, 12:57 AM
I like it! Well done brother.

jtmkinsd
10-24-2010, 2:31 AM
That is one ugly AK...lol For God's sake...put the wood back on

:puke:

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
10-24-2010, 5:32 AM
I think it looks great, and if it accommodates the length you need, then that's all the better, if I get an AK, I'll do the same thing, I never did care for the wood they use, although I saw one just the other day with walnut and the stock seemed a little longer, it looked pretty dang nice, black on black ROCKS.

tEN wOLVES

pyro3k2
10-24-2010, 9:13 AM
Im with andrewak47, anyone who says the wood looks better on a WASR has probably never owned a WASR! My WASR wood was GOD AWFUL!
I actually think it looks alright in the last pic with the stock and wooden hand guards. Ultimac and a PA micro red dot would look pretty darn good on top.

100% truth, the handguards on mine did not match the buttstock, unless your AK comes with good looking wood furniture already I would replace or refinish the previous set.

This is what I'm really going for and "I'll" be happy with it. Sporty, modern, ninja looking AK47.

Rock out, do what you want to do with your rifle it's not like they bought it for you.

Here's the first 30 shots at 100 yards. Not bad at all. This was two weeks ago when I just got my rifle.

That was with the stock irons im guessing right?

Damn go for it dude! I almost want to get a WASR 2 but I already have the 5.45 rifle, and Ive got the Draco and the 10/63, and the PSL. Im running out of reasons to buy more rifles!

Saiga 12...get there.

andrewak47
10-24-2010, 11:31 AM
That was with the stock irons im guessing right?

all stock irons there....I want to get a red dot sight installed though. No scopes will be harmed in this project.

ghost
10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
as long as your is what matters.for me i'll pass,century gets no love from me.

andrewak47
10-25-2010, 3:29 PM
In one of the picture shows the cleaning rod. For some reason it won't go all the way in. Something is obstructing it. I will take it apart again and find what's blocking it. Other than that I left that rod out and I love it!

Now for my red dot ---> http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=402&categoryId=5 Gotta save up a little more without aggro'ing my wife. LOL

Any other advices on a red dot? I won't put any other rails on this gun beside the handguard. It has the top and bottom rails to put nasty stuff on it. A red dot sight and a flashlight on the bottom and I'm good to hunt zombies day and night!

ZX-10R
10-25-2010, 3:53 PM
Looks great! Forget the haters who want wood...Also when I grab a rifle I grab my WASR first. Even MY Daniel Defense takes a bow to my WASR.

andrewak47
10-25-2010, 5:09 PM
Once you leave wood, you'll never go back! LOL Especially with the Tapco T6 stock. I gave her a name, Ninja AK47 Gaiden LOL jk

andrewak47
10-25-2010, 6:26 PM
First picture is showing how it should be when the wood stock was on.

Second picture is showing the cleaning rod being blocked by small block inside the handguard hollow part.

I don't mind it but I would like to get it fixed.

It looks like the it's getting caught on the trunion

C.W.M.V.
10-25-2010, 6:54 PM
Whats the problem? Its not supposed to go all the way through.

supermario
10-25-2010, 7:11 PM

AR style collapsable stocks are great if you have very short arms with a short LOP. Just feels more comfortable, plus its makes it easier for women and children to shoot. If done with taste, I think they look good. Just dont hang everything off them. I also like the look of wood. Im gonna buy another AK just so i can have the wood furniture;)
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/supermariov/SaigaVltor-1.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/supermariov/IMG_1340.jpg

pyro3k2
10-25-2010, 7:59 PM
SAW grip should be the next upgrade makes a massive difference

offrdmania
10-25-2010, 8:56 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/offrdmania/crapoffmyak.jpg

andrewak47
10-25-2010, 8:57 PM
@supermario, looking good!
@pyro3k2, I'll get a Saw or a Hogue grip at a later date, but it's in the plan.

andrewak47
10-25-2010, 8:59 PM
Whats the problem? Its not supposed to go all the way through.

I'm not sure, the way the Tapco handguard sits, there's a guide inside that's guiding the rod to ride low enough to hit the top of the trunnion. I can't seem to push it through...I just need less than an inch clearance, maybe cut the thread part of the cleaning rod?

C.W.M.V.
10-25-2010, 9:03 PM
I'm not sure, the way the Tapco handguard sits, there's a guide inside that's guiding the rod to ride low enough to hit the top of the trunnion. I can't seem to push it through...I just need less than an inch clearance, maybe cut the thread part of the cleaning rod?

No dont cut the cleaning rod!

If its angling the cleaning rod in such a way that its not seating all the way in then the hand guard is defective. No reason to grind on the barrel trunion. Wouldn't surprise me if a Tapco part was out of spec.

Love the G2 trigger though!

4thSBCT
10-25-2010, 9:11 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:wrfjXogOmsAyJM:http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/tobygoodshank/doNotWant.jpg&t=1

andrewak47
10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Back to my pictures on the first page, IMG_0633.jpg, When it sits on the latch, I just had to lightly tap it into the lock position with a screw driver. No worries! I'm happy again.

Sky_DiveR
10-26-2010, 1:06 AM
Looks good. Your choice of an Ultimak rail with a Primary Arms red-dot woulda been a better choice. The rail sits lower and the red-dot will co-witness with the sights mucho better.... and you won't have to lift your head to look thru the red-dot.

I didn't think about it much myself til I saw/handled one mounted. Kinda like this...

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr80/Sky_DriveR/Equipment/saiga_223_14_20090507_1480385601.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr80/Sky_DriveR/Equipment/saiga_223_3_20090507_1196446126.jpg

As a matter of fact I saw 2 (or 3) of them at the build party last weekend in Sac.

BTW, your groups might tighten up at 100yds if you remove the cleaning rod and muzzle brake, and take the pressure off of the barrel when you put it on a rest. Speaking of the rest, use something abit more stable with a sandbag underneath to keep the rifle from bouncing after each shot.

Just my $0.02

andrewak47
10-26-2010, 1:52 AM
I'm about finished with this project. I just need to order the Red Dot Sight from PA and a sling and I'm calling it done.

I had bought another GP WASR10 and had sold that to my little brother last weekend. Perfect gun with crappy wood. He wants to refinish the woods and keep it as is.

I want another AK47 but I'm really tempted on doing a build kit (never done one, no experience either)......Or buy another GP WASR10 and refinish the wood and make it a looker?? I'm not sure yet.