PDA

View Full Version : light vs. heavy barrel? in Kel Tec Su-16 B vs CA

spotfire
10-22-2010, 9:00 AM
Just looking at barrel style between the SU-16 B or CA models, i.e. light vs. heavy, what is the advantage of one versus the other? (besides obviously actual overall weight). I might be able to get a B model for a lot less than a CA, and I'm trying to convince myself one way over the other.
Thanks for your opinions.

Toast
10-22-2010, 9:19 AM
A heavy barrel will have less POI shift as the barrel heats up, but if you're getting the SU as a defensive/occasional plinking gun then just get the light barrel. If you're going to shoot from a bench all the time there are better alternatives.

Bug Splat
10-22-2010, 9:21 AM
Both models A and B are crap IMO. The sights are awful. Get the CA and don't look back. Even with the "heavy" barrel its still the lightest damn 5.56 rifle you can get. Also you get the threaded barrel on the CA models.

zeus45c
10-22-2010, 9:42 AM
^
This

Get the CA. Points well and is still light and handy. Perfect for its intended use. Just don't expect to use it as a club when the going gets tough.

SMG_VII
10-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I heard that the barrels aren't good past ~4000 rounds. Is there any truth to this?

Bug Splat
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm over 5-6K and mine shoots as well as it did on the first range trip. The newer SU-16's have a chrome lined barrel too so I would expect at least 8K rounds if not more.