PDA

View Full Version : A question to the FFL's please

beb1954
09-28-2010, 4:40 PM
Just dros'd two, rifle/pistol, one day apart not that I believe this is of relavence but thought to mention it. On the pistol, i neglected to take a lock with me, my bad.. But when trying to make up my mind as whether I would run back to the house to get a lock, i was told that I also had to prove that it had been purchased within the last 30 days. "printed receipt" type proof.. I dros'd a different handgun, at a different location, a few months before, and had a lock at this one. No Proof of anything... I can't remember if I supplied to the seller did. If it is relavent that the seller did, than so be it. But I do have and signed the Gun Safe Affadavit.. I felt that I was being coerced into purchasing a lock from the FFL's store as even if I would have gone home, no 30 proof of purchase.... Ahhemm...
So, the question is, did I get jacked for purchasing a lock?
addendum: was told that a copy of the proof needed to be sent along with final paperwork to the state/DOJ, whoever...
thx for all replys, even the dumbass flamers if they come in..

jtmkinsd
09-28-2010, 5:58 PM
Just dros'd two, rifle/pistol, one day apart not that I believe this is of relavence but thought to mention it. On the pistol, i neglected to take a lock with me, my bad.. But when trying to make up my mind as whether I would run back to the house to get a lock, i was told that I also had to prove that it had been purchased within the last 30 days. "printed receipt" type proof.. I dros'd a different handgun, at a different location, a few months before, and had a lock at this one. No Proof of anything... I can't remember if I supplied to the seller did. If it is relavent that the seller did, than so be it. But I do have and signed the Gun Safe Affadavit.. I felt that I was being coerced into purchasing a lock from the FFL's store as even if I would have gone home, no 30 proof of purchase.... Ahhemm...
So, the question is, did I get jacked for purchasing a lock?
addendum: was told that a copy of the proof needed to be sent along with final paperwork to the state/DOJ, whoever...
thx for all replys, even the dumbass flamers if they come in..

No...you didn't get robbed...this has been covered a lot in other threads...with every handgun transferred that doesn't already come with a CA approved lock, a lock must be "provided" (federal law), CA law requires a dated receipt for any lock you present to the FFL that is less than 30 days old (they don't want you just running home, taking a lock off a gun at home, and going to get your new gun.

halifax
09-28-2010, 6:30 PM
Your dealer is right and did nothing wrong; however, there are dealers who will take a lock in-trade for another lock that he will provide to you free or just give you a Project Child Safe lock for free. It's not that common but it does happen.

beb1954
09-28-2010, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. i guess it just all fell into place this time and I wasn't covered..
thanks agian..