PDA

View Full Version : How to tell a AK builder flat from tapco

daves100
08-09-2010, 8:16 PM
In my quest to clean out my garage to find my Romy G kit. I found 2 flats unsure if the are AK builder or tapco flats how do you tell...

thanks

JeffM
08-09-2010, 8:20 PM
tapco has the top rails pre bent

mrlonewolf
08-09-2010, 8:27 PM
tapco has the top rails pre bent

Same as Ak builder.

Old Tapco:
Index holes for the bending jig.
No top rails.
Trigger cut to allow double hooks.

New Tapco.
Pre bent top rails.

Old Ak Builder:
No top rails.
Trigger cut to allow single hooks.

New Ak Builder:
No Index holes.
Pre bent top rails.

JeffM
08-10-2010, 2:14 AM
Same as Ak builder.

Old Tapco:
No top rails.

New Tapco.
Pre bent top rails.

Old Ak Builder:
No top rails.

New Ak Builder:
No Index holes.
Pre bent top rails.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know he had a new flat. It's been two years or so since I've bent one up. Too much trouble for what it's worth. 100% receivers are the only way to go unless you're building a pistol, and I don't need any more of those :)

tujungatoes
08-10-2010, 6:34 AM
also the ak-builder flats have never had the axis pin holes drilled to size. tapco flas do.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know he had a new flat. It's been two years or so since I've bent one up. Too much trouble for what it's worth. 100% receivers are the only way to go unless you're building a pistol, and I don't need any more of those :)

you need to try the new flats. i's sooo easy now.

247Nino
08-10-2010, 7:41 AM
also the ak-builder flats have never had the axis pin holes drilled to size. tapco flas do.

you need to try the new flats. i's sooo easy now.

I agree, thats why I'm rebuilding 3/5 of my tapco built guns, my pistols are on tapco but they actually came out with the least problems and cycle well. So I'm keeping them.

Tapco flats are a definite no-no

Z ME FLY
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Call me cheap but I wouldn't buy a 100% receiver. I go to build parties so we bend our own flats. You figure a receiver is about $60shipped from nodak + the bs transfer fees= $100+ The cost of the flat + center support is $30.

You should really check out the new ak builder flats and bending jig.

NorCalDustin
08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Call me cheap but I wouldn't buy a 100% receiver. I go to build parties so we bend our own flats. You figure a receiver is about $60shipped from nodak + the bs transfer fees= $100+ The cost of the flat + center support is $30.

You should really check out the new ak builder flats and bending jig.
Yeah, I think it took me like 3 minutes to bend my flat and be at the point where I was test fitting my stuff and getting ready to rivet..

rabagley
08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
For me, the bending jig from akbuilder ($150) plus a 12-ton press from HF ($140) plus two flats ($40) is only a little more than two 100% receivers once you add it all up.

But at the end of it, I've got 1) two AK's that I finished (I'm always looking for excuses to get the tools out), 2) a set of dies for any future builds, and 3) a shop press that I already want for car/motorcycle work.

Peter W Bush
08-10-2010, 2:26 PM

At the last build party with the new AK builder jig it took about 5 minutes to put the flat in the jig, bend it, and take it out.

Roccobro
08-10-2010, 7:45 PM
At the last build party with the new AK builder jig it took about 5 minutes to put the flat in the jig, bend it, and take it out.

Same experience here. Plus, I was only shown how to use the jig by the guy before me. :D

Then the next 3 flats went in less than 8 minutes. You get pretty fast when there is a line and your being watched!

Justin

daves100
08-10-2010, 7:46 PM
For me, the bending jig from akbuilder ($150) plus a 12-ton press from HF ($140) plus two flats ($40) is only a little more than two 100% receivers once you add it all up.

I have a coupon for 89.00 for a 12 ton press was going to buy one but picked one up off of CL for 60.00

anyone need it let me know

SJgunguy24
08-10-2010, 9:04 PM
Flat builds are cool, but they are not fully heat treated and will not take the abuse that a Nodak or Elk River can. IMO I would use nothing but 1.5mm flats unless I could carberize the entire receiver or heat treat.

Roccobro
08-10-2010, 9:16 PM
Flat builds are cool, but they are not fully heat treated and will not take the abuse that a Nodak or Elk River can. IMO I would use nothing but 1.5mm flats unless I could carberize the entire receiver or heat treat.

I overheard a (quick) discussion on this topic at the BP (there is a thread on this topic here on CG). Turns out only ONE country in the whole world fully treated their receivers. And no it was not, (and currently not) those Russian made.

Begs the question- is total heat treating of an AK receiver ever necessary? Besides reasons our own mind games bring up...

Hence the main reason I brought the SD BP kiln home without being used (or even moved from it's drop off point).

Justin

Peter W Bush
08-10-2010, 9:16 PM
I have a coupon for 89.00 for a 12 ton press was going to buy one but picked one up off of CL for 60.00

anyone need it let me know

Thats a good deal but that $89 press will also cost me $150 for a bending jig, and thousands more for AK kits :43:

ENVYGREEN
08-11-2010, 1:21 AM
I built off a couple nds' at the build party. I had them from just adding to the dros on another long gun so they were actually very affordable. Now that I've been to a party I would bend a flat they were coming out beautiful!

TURBOELKY
08-11-2010, 8:07 PM
The best way to tell Tapco from AK builder flats is:
When your finished, one will look like a banana, one will not!!!!:smilielol5: