PDA

View Full Version : 1911 extractor

SamSung
08-09-2010, 1:09 PM
How easy is it to remove the extractor from a 1911? is it suppose to just slide right out once the firing pin retainer is removed or it have to be pushed out from the other end? any help will be appreciated.

uscbigdawg
08-09-2010, 1:18 PM
1 - Remove the slide, barrel and guide rod, plug whatever you got (point = just get it to the bare slide)
2 - Remove the firing pin stop
3 - Pull the extractor out
4 - If it hangs up on the extractor claw at the breach, just take a punch and move the extractor claw section in alignment with the extractor tunnel
5 - Remove

Replacing it is easier. Just insert and align the slot in the extractor with the slot for the firing pin stop.

Rich

ETA: While you don't have to remove everything and can remove the extractor with the gun assembled and in slide lock, odds are you're removing it during cleaning or checking extractor tension, so you're going there anyways.

SamSung
08-09-2010, 1:37 PM
I have already removed the firing pin stop, but the extractor is so tight in there, that's why I ask if it is suppose to just slide right out, trying to figure out if it is installed in the factory too tight, it looks like they just jammed it in there and I don't want to damage it or scratch it while removing the extractor from the slide, is it normal then?

Chief-7700
08-09-2010, 2:21 PM
Just pull it out, you won't damage the extractor. May being held in by a bunch of crud.

bruceflinch
08-09-2010, 2:23 PM
I have already removed the firing pin stop, but the extractor is so tight in there, that's why I ask if it is suppose to just slide right out, trying to figure out if it is installed in the factory too tight, it looks like they just jammed it in there and I don't want to damage it or scratch it while removing the extractor from the slide, is it normal then?

Turn the slide over. Is there a small "button" in line w/ the extractor? If so, then push it in & then the extractor should come out while holding in the button.

uscbigdawg
08-09-2010, 5:00 PM

Okey dokey. Probably just some crud built up.

On Step 4, take a small punch push the extractor claw away from the breech and then towards the tunnel. You can usually pull the extractor out after that. If it's still really tight, that same small punch can be used at the firing pin stop groove on the extractor to pry it out a smidge and then pull it out.

I have AFTEC extractors in all my guns. Those are hard to get out.

Rich

SamSung
08-09-2010, 5:14 PM
I manage to pull it out after struggling with it, it was in there really tight, there is no crude in there at all, it was really clean, but it should come out easy correct? so do I polish it to make it go in and out smoothly but still snug? so next time I clean the gun I can just slide it out? because I don't want to struggle to get it out whenever I need to clean the gun.

Chief-7700
08-09-2010, 5:43 PM
No leave it alone! If it does it's job then do not mess with it.
http://warlockfirearms.blogspot.com/2010/05/complete-disassembly-and-detail.html

uscbigdawg
08-09-2010, 5:50 PM
^^^ I agree with that to an extent. It's okay to remove it occasionally to clean out the tunnel. During routine cleaning I just ensure there's no crud at the claw. Picks are good for this.

It should be a little tight IMHO.

Rich