PDA

View Full Version : Is there ANY way to use the KX3 on a featureless rifle?

thenodnarb
08-03-2010, 2:42 PM
By removing the cone?

I've done about 2 hrs of searching but found no solid answer, and nothing recent.

Jpach
08-03-2010, 3:10 PM
Does the cone reduce flash? I always thought that the KX3 was a brake of some sort

MasterYong
08-03-2010, 3:29 PM
KX3 is a flash suppressor, so I'd say no. Not worth toeing the line.

Google "KX3" and every result that refers to firearms says "KX3 Flash Suppressor"

gunn
08-03-2010, 3:31 PM
Perhaps theirs a knock-off that's marketed as a MB.
However, Noveske (the mfg) calls it a flash supressor... so you calling it something different probably doesn't matter.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=11

thenodnarb
08-03-2010, 3:31 PM
http://store.a51tactical.com/images/kx3556p_3d.jpg

If you remove the cone, it is basically just an open ended tube. Just don't know if this will meet the definition of a flash suppressor according to CA DOJ.

I've seem some people with a fake can on their featureless builds but not sure if the cans extend past the muzzle. And if they do, not sure if they are doing it legally.

Perhaps theirs a knock-off that's marketed as a MB.
However, Noveske (the mfg) calls it a flash supressor... so you calling it something different probably doesn't matter.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=11

Mine IS a knock off, but don't know what brand! There are no markings on it whatsoever.

Going by what the MFG claims isn't exactly in the PC. It may be a policy by LE or DOJ but the real proof is in the pudding. I guess I'll just have to build it with a BB first and test it with and without it.

IF it doesn't pass the test, is there a Muzzle Brake or device that directs sound forward that is Kosher for a featureless build? I've seen some disagreement regarding the Levang.

SJgunguy24
08-03-2010, 3:47 PM
AW flow chart has a definition and difference of FH and MB

If you remove the cone, it is basically just an open ended tube. Just don't know if this will meet the definition of a flash suppressor according to CA DOJ.

I've seem some people with a fake can on their featureless builds but not sure if the cans extend past the muzzle. And if they do, not sure if they are doing it legally.

Mine IS a knock off, but don't know what brand! There are no markings on it whatsoever.

Going by what the MFG claims isn't exactly in the PC. It may be a policy by LE or DOJ but the real proof is in the pudding. I guess I'll just have to build it with a BB first and test it with and without it.

IF it doesn't pass the test, is there a Muzzle Brake or device that directs sound forward that is Kosher for a featureless build? I've seen some disagreement regarding the Levang.

Jpach
08-03-2010, 6:58 PM

Get the Levang. I dont know of ANY quiet-type brake that has as many positive reviews on quietness as the Levang. I have one on my 16" AR and although Ive never shot it with an A2 to compare, Ill still put money on the Levang being less loud from the shooters pov

C_1
08-03-2010, 8:18 PM
Thread protector.

thenodnarb
08-04-2010, 9:25 AM
Get the Levang. I dont know of ANY quiet-type brake that has as many positive reviews on quietness as the Levang. I have one on my 16" AR and although Ive never shot it with an A2 to compare, Ill still put money on the Levang being less loud from the shooters pov

I'd like to get the levang, but do they make a .308 version? I haven't seen one. This is going on a .300 fireball. The noveske knockoff I have would be easy to re thread to 5/8 X 24. Not so sure about the levang.

Check out these videos. I know they are on SBR's and the cone is installed, but there is still a big flash coming out the barrel. With the cone removed, I can't believe it would do anything.

lBbZ3kNXG2c

xrdojpFUp4c

gunn
08-04-2010, 2:02 PM

I bought a LEVANG compensator for my SU-16CA 3-4 months after first acquiring the gun. I was fairly annoyed with the gun when I purchased it a) for how loud it was at the shooters POV and b) the muzzle climb off a bench because of the gun's light weight.

Almost as an afterthought, I added the LEVANG to my midwayusa.com order. Once I tried it, I've never taken it off except to clean that rifle. There was a marked noise reduction from the shooters POV -- I can attest to this from experience. That was probably the best $25 I ever spent on that stupid gun.
-g

ar15barrels
08-04-2010, 2:49 PM

If you remove the cone, it is basically just an open ended tube.

Sorta like this:

http://www.oquirrharms.com/images/m1%20flsh.jpg

That's a flash suppressor that works by covering the flash with a big open tube. ;)

thenodnarb
08-04-2010, 3:26 PM
Sorta like this:

That's a flash suppressor that works by covering the flash with a big open tube. ;)

Fair enough!

But then, how is the levang different?

BTW I have no problem with the levang. I can figure out how to tap it and make it work with the .30 cal if need be. I'm just trying to figure this out. Does it really just come down to: the levang is kosher because it isn't advertised as a FH?

ar15barrels
08-04-2010, 3:29 PM
But then, how is the levang different?

Lack of expansion area.
Without expansion area, you are not really effecting the amount of flash.

Does it really just come down to: the levang is kosher because it isn't advertised as a FH?

Yes, and because it does not act as one.

thenodnarb
08-04-2010, 3:31 PM
Lack of expansion area.
Without expansion area, you are not really effecting the amount of flash.

Yes, and because it does not act as one.

Thankyou! That makes sense.

Jpach
08-04-2010, 4:21 PM
OP, theres a guy on Ebay or something that sells Levang-type muzzle brakes, including for .308s. Ill do some digging for you, hopefully someone else can chime in. People here on calguns have them.

thenodnarb
08-04-2010, 5:13 PM
thanks
I didn't realize any gun-related parts were for sale on ebay.

thenodnarb
08-19-2010, 5:44 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img834/6774/linearmuzzlebrake.jpg

Is this it?

He is advertising it as a "Linear muzzle brake" (for posterity who are searching ebay)

Here is the description:
"Halo style muzzle brake for all 1/2 28 threaded barrel. 8 front end port's around a .34 center hole.Huge inner diameter allow's for complete combustion of gas's. 3.25 inch long, 1.25 diameter,made of aircraft aluminum. Other size's are available,check my other auction's.Feel free to ask question's."

Emphasis mine. Levang advertises something similar:

"Directs all of the muzzle blast and apparent noise away from your ears for increased shooting comfort. Large, single expansion chamber helps control muzzle flip and felt recoil. "

Help me out here because now I have 2 concerns:
1- If this has an expansion chamber, especially with holes around the center hole, doesn't this allow the gases to expand, and therefore burn completely before exiting making it a flash hider?

2- How is this not a type of suppressor? I understand how effective suppressors work, but wouldn't this be somewhat effective as a suppressor since the gases are expanding inside the chamber?

I appreciate the help.

BTW, I shot my 300/221 today for the first time and it was very fun. I was able to shoot without ear protection, although I probably should have worn some. It was a bit louder than a .22 high velocity. I think that with the levang, I could definitely shoot it without ear protection and if it is indeed not a flash suppressor then I could keep my rifle featureless. Either compensator I use will have to be threaded for 5/8X24.

eaglemike
08-19-2010, 6:51 PM
I'm just a machinist type guy, made a few compnsators for race guns...

No way I'd think an aluminum copy of the Levang is going to hold up to .308 pressures and temperatures... No way...... Make it out of 1144/Stressproof or something better..... Made all mine out of Stressproof. Now I see Smith Enterprises is also doing that.

Thumbs down on this one........
all the best,
Mike