PDA

View Full Version : Ak question

maurice05
08-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Well I know they say there are no stupid questions but we will see, while looking at parts kits for an AK-74 I have noticed that prices have ranged from mid 200's for a Bulgarian to 900+ for Serbian kits what's the difference in performance (they all go bang) and looks I can see some are standard stocks,under folders and side folders or is it basically the same difference as Chevy vs. Ford. I'm just trying to make sure its not like Chevy vs. Mercedes and I make the wrong choice

valleyrat
08-02-2010, 7:39 AM
The Serbian kit you refer to is the m95a in 556, which, aside from being rare is one of the highest quality AK kits available. The cheap bulgy kits have had their barrels cut. In between you can find pre barrel ban kits w/o welds for $400-$500. You would not regret building an M95.

SJgunguy24
08-02-2010, 10:46 AM
The Serbian kit you refer to is the m95a in 556, which, aside from being rare is one of the highest quality AK kits available. The cheap bulgy kits have had their barrels cut. In between you can find pre barrel ban kits w/o welds for $400-$500. You would not regret building an M95.

OK, now will you post a pic of that work of art M95 that you have?:D

valleyrat
08-02-2010, 10:53 AM
OK, now will you post a pic of that work of art M95 that you have?:D

Which one? :D

SJgunguy24
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Which one? ;)

The one you brought into the shop. I didn't get to look at it, I was working on something at the bench when you were showing that to Chan.

ZX-10R
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
AKs are AKs...The biggest difference will be either stamped or milled. I like my WASR 10/ 63...Only way I part with it, is if someone offers me over $1000 for it.

maurice05
08-02-2010, 11:49 AM
See and that's what my thinking was AK'S are AK'S

SJgunguy24
08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
AKs are AKs...The biggest difference will be either stamped or milled. I like my WASR 10/ 63...Only way I part with it, is if someone offers me over $1000 for it.

Ok then if an AK is an AK then whats the differance from your WASR and Vallyrats m95?

Not all AK's are created equal. Unless you have seen or worked on many different makes and models as I have been able to, then you really can't say.
I'm nowhere near where some collectors are as far as experiance and types they own.

munkeeboi
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Yup....if you just want something that looks like any AK and goes bang...then you don't have to spend money. It's like saying all 1911's or AR's are the same. there are different variations, levels of quality and minute differences.

In the end it's up to you and what you are looking to get out of it, but they are all not the same. there is a reason for the price differences. I will say that my M95 is one of my favorites, it shoots well, is made well and it's pretty rare.

valleyrat
08-02-2010, 1:09 PM
AKs are AKs...

LMAO dude you need to handle a few more AKs.

OP, if you just want a cheap 74, buy one of those builds that had the welds on the barrel from a while back, I believe centerfire was retailing them.

maurice05
08-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Ok thanks

sava6e
08-03-2010, 8:49 AM
If an ak is an ak and you were thinking that all along, why are you wasting everyones time? OP has another thread about his g3 and how it's too expensive! Look guy if they all guns were cheap everyone here would have them all, why not build 1 really nice rifles instead of 2 ****ty ones!

maurice05
08-03-2010, 9:14 PM
I wasn't saying g3's were to expensive I just wasn't willing to pay a builder $1000 just to build it that's juat out of my price range sorry when ARS wanted much less and I understand you get what you pay for but by asking around I have found a excellent builder and with the $1000 that IGF wants( with me supplying everything) I figured I would use the difference to get an AK74 to go along with the AK47 I have. But sorry if you think I'm wasting peoples time by asking questions to people who are in the know

motorhead
08-04-2010, 9:06 AM
copes is taking pre orders for cheap. no barrels.

valleyrat
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
$1000 is a bit steep for a simple build. Do you want it re finished? The copes kits are not a good idea for a fist time build. Stay away from builds with usa barrels. I have in my possession a USA barrel that made it past quality control without rifling cut lol.

SJgunguy24
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
$1000 is a bit steep for a simple build. Do you want it re finished? The copes kits are not a good idea for a fist time build. Stay away from builds with usa barrels.

HK build, not AK

valleyrat
08-04-2010, 1:06 PM
HK build, not AK

I looked into doing an HK/CETME build a while ago...if you can weld its much easier to build than an AK. The AR70 is another interesting weld build.

maurice05
08-04-2010, 1:25 PM
Yeah the $1000 was for an HK build with shipping included both ways, and insurance.If o were building from a flat I may have given it a try but it's an actual receiver I don't want to mess up in anyway. I have no welding experience or much education that maybe needed for the build

valleyrat
08-04-2010, 1:30 PM
$1000 is a bit steep for a simple build. Do you want it re finished? The copes kits are not a good idea for a fist time build. Stay away from builds with usa barrels.

SJgunguy24
08-04-2010, 1:32 PM
I looked into doing an HK/CETME build a while ago...if you can weld its much easier to build than an AK. The AR70 is another interesting weld build.

Weld, no problem. Is that 100% or flat?

valleyrat
08-04-2010, 1:54 PM
Weld, no problem. Is that 100% or flat?

100% is what I was thinking, though the flat is not much more of a problem. There is a jig out there for bending them. You want to meet up and do a couple builds? Id love to have a CETME but the welding is what stopped me up.

SJgunguy24
08-04-2010, 2:27 PM
100% is what I was thinking, though the flat is not much more of a problem. There is a jig out there for bending them. You want to meet up and do a couple builds? Id love to have a CETME but the welding is what stopped me up.

I'll give it a shot, I don't have a kit, money for a kit or money to get back to the shop. If I did, I might be back down there building guns right now. I have a mig here, but I think the TIG at the shop would be the best way to go.

nicoroshi
08-04-2010, 3:26 PM
I'll give it a shot, I don't have a kit, money for a kit or money to get back to the shop. If I did, I might be back down there building guns right now. I have a mig here, but I think the TIG at the shop would be the best way to go.

I have also looked into Cetme/ G3 builds.
You are correct SJgunguy24. Tig IS the way to go for that. I personally don't believe a mig would be (both) pretty enough or serve the purpose correctly.
Just a side note:
When looking at a nice kit with a straight cocking tube, and all required 922(r) parts for a Cetme build, and adding up costs to build it. I found it really close to the same price to just order an HK type build from here>>>
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory94.aspx
Little short on cash currently (paying off other builds, and toys) but the PTR-91 F has my eye for a future addition to the safe.

valleyrat
08-04-2010, 4:30 PM
When looking at a nice kit with a straight cocking tube, and all required 922(r) parts for a Cetme build, and adding up costs to build it. I found it really close to the same price to just order an HK type build from here>>>

$1199 for a PTR seems way higher than a nice CETME kit/flat/comp parts... and the flat will not have a 4473.

maurice05
08-04-2010, 4:56 PM
Total price my jk clone will cost me close $1300.00 including build cost for one rifle, but I have gathered enough part for 2 rifles

maurice05
08-04-2010, 4:57 PM
Sorry HK CLONE