PDA

View Full Version : RUGER P89 Misfiring! please help!

SamSung
08-01-2010, 9:26 PM
I have a Ruger P89, anybody have any idea why it misfires? the firing pin is clearly hitting the primer but the bullet won't fire! using factory loaded ammos, tried the reloads that can be bought from the shooting range and it will have more misfires, to confirm that the P89 is the problem, I collected all the bullets that misfired on my Ruger P89 and put it all in my Sig which will fire without a problem, anybody have the same experience or know what needs to be done to fix the problem? it has been like that since it was new and I always thought that it just needs to be broken in but I guess I was wrong, should have send it in while it was still new 16 years ago!

Roccobro
08-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Check the firing pin protrusion. It needs to come out a specific amount (I don't have the protrusion height handy).

Next, make sure the firing pin channel is free of debris. If it has been doing this since new, it is possible some burr or other thing is impeding the FP.

Last it could be the spring. Unless you modified it or put a different one in when brand new unlikely that is the problem.

Personally I call Ruger. I've heard their CS is slightly above normal, and their guns warranties are long. Make them fix it.. er, let the master smiths that made the gun make it work like it did.. uh, before new. lol

Justin

LexLuther
08-02-2010, 5:57 PM
Good advice from Rocco, I would take the firing pin out and check, clean and lube everything. My P89 is a truck, eats everything and looks for more with little care. If you find a part that you think is off, I would be happy to send you measurements from mine, might even have a spare you could borrow or buy.

G-forceJunkie
08-02-2010, 6:19 PM
I concure with the pin being too short, or enough crud in the firing pin channel to slow it down, or reduce its travel.