PDA

View Full Version : I need a edjumacation

Brambo
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Were and what do I need to buy for a AK build? What's the best? I have a mini machine shop in my garage, mill, lathe, wire feed welder ect... What template stuff should I get?

I know it's allot of questions.

ar15barrels
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Read the tacked threads above.

Particularly this one:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292985

SJgunguy24
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Parts kit, reciever or AK builder flat. If you get a flat, you'll need a center support, lower rails, and a bending jig. You will also have to heat treat the axis pin holes for the fire control group. A 100% reciever negates all of this and IMO is the best route with a first build.
You will also need 922r compliance parts, figure out what you would like to change using this guide.
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

You'll need a mag lock if you want a pistol grip. You can make your own or buy one.
What is your skill set?

ar15barrels
07-30-2010, 2:45 PM
What is your skill set?

A5cneCgNA9U

Brambo
07-30-2010, 4:07 PM
I can pull it off I think. I have milled out plenty AR lowers and even welded a drive line on a 1953 m38A1 with a couple batteries, jumper cables, and a handful of nickles. Looks like I just found a excuse for some more tools. Only thing I need is that bending jig and a spot weld attachment for my welder. I think I'm gunna go to a build party just to learn. Maby I can trade one of you guys a fishing trip on the Delta for a class on how to do these.

Sicarius
07-30-2010, 4:54 PM
You can host a build party and have people bring a bunch of their tools, jigs and such. Ak-builder.com makes great tools but if you were only planning on building 1(which never is the case) you are better off borrowing the tools. You will need a flat, center support and rivit kit that ak-builder sells and idealy a matching parts kit. You have to decide if you want a 47 or 74 patterned rifle too. Matching parts kit is important because you know that all the parts, headspace, barrel all fit and worked together at one time. As for what kit to get, that is up to you... Do your research! Romy kits tend to be considered one of the lower end parts kits out there but have not been abused and used. Yugo's are extremely stout(1.5mm receiver and rpk bulged trunnion) but their barrels lack chrome lining and with the combination of being used in a conflict, their barrels are typically pretty poor. Luckily green mountain makes yugo chrome lined barrels but that's an added expense. Every country has their own little tweak. Hungarians have a shorter gas tube and piston. You have to find out what suits your wants... You will also have to keep in mind that you are looking for a stamped and not a milled kit.
Kevin

SJgunguy24
07-30-2010, 7:35 PM
I can pull it off I think. I have milled out plenty AR lowers and even welded a drive line on a 1953 m38A1 with a couple batteries, jumper cables, and a handful of nickles. Looks like I just found a excuse for some more tools. Only thing I need is that bending jig and a spot weld attachment for my welder. I think I'm gunna go to a build party just to learn. Maby I can trade one of you guys a fishing trip on the Delta for a class on how to do these.

If you have a MIG machine you really don't need to use a spot welder. If you only going to build 1 gun I would just hit a build party like you said. Makes no sense to drop 600$ for tooling to build 1 gun.
What's your location? I might be able to give you a hand.

SJgunguy24
07-30-2010, 7:43 PM
A5cneCgNA9U

:D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p-QW11kx7Vs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p-QW11kx7Vs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HotRails
07-30-2010, 11:04 PM
There should be one this fall in Canyon Country. Depending on where you live, this would be well worth it. A couple very experienced builders usually show up who are more than willing to help.

Brambo
08-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm in orangevale near Sacramento. I'm sure I will go nutz and build more than a few. I built 19 AR's so you can expect the same level of over kill. I want to start with a standard one, then a dragnov style, and a adjustable stock.

I may just go buy my first one at a local shop to get started. I'm a little unclear on what is compatible with what. Parts ECT.....?

arfan66
08-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I agree with SJgunguy24, building an AK with a 100% receiver like NoDak's is probably the best way to build your first. I built mine on an Ohio Ordinance Works receiver. Check out this tutorial by Arizona Response systems: http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesak/ak47build/pageak47build.shtml

I used their guide to build an AK pistol. Let me know if I can be of assistance...Good Luck!

SJgunguy24
08-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm in orangevale near Sacramento. I'm sure I will go nutz and build more than a few. I built 19 AR's so you can expect the same level of over kill. I want to start with a standard one, then a dragnov style, and a adjustable stock.

I may just go buy my first one at a local shop to get started. I'm a little unclear on what is compatible with what. Parts ECT.....?

OK, my advice to you. Buy a Saiga to start. Convert it. Not some el cheapo job, I mean cut the trigger guard and rivet the back end, reshape the front and weld it to the mag catch tower. Or get an AK style and rivet that in place. Weld up all of the holes that you don't need. Do the trigger work and make sure there isn't any hammer follow. This will give you a good working knowledge of the AK platform and you will have a good gun that you can look at if you get in a bind when building an AK later.