PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this?

skylovia
07-26-2010, 12:40 PM
So I guess I'm getting the AK build bug and I'm starting to get these crazy ideas in my head about a second build. So here goes my crazy question:

Can I take a Draco pistol, de-mill it, destroy the receiver and report the pistol destroyed. Then, thread the barrel, add the appropriate length FAKE can to the barrel. Then rebuild the parts onto your standard AK flat using a fixed stock rear trunion.

I guess the only real concern i would have is with de-milling the pistol, because I KNOW I've seen a bunch or rifles with welded muzzle devices. Like AMD builds or 14.5 inch AR-15s. Would an FFL need to do it for me?

MrPlink
07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Why not just get a parts kit for what you wanted?

ke6guj
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Why not just get a parts kit for what you wanted?

this.

what would be the point in doing a demill to get parts, when you can already buy a parts kit?

It would be different in you needed to demill something like a Saiga12 in order to get a Saiga12 parts kit for a project.

ohsmily
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
So I guess I'm getting the AK build bug and I'm starting to get these crazy ideas in my head about a second build. So here goes my crazy question:

Can I take a Draco pistol, de-mill it, destroy the receiver and report the pistol destroyed. Then, thread the barrel, add the appropriate length FAKE can to the barrel. Then rebuild the parts onto your standard AK flat using a fixed stock rear trunion.

I guess the only real concern i would have is with de-milling the pistol, because I KNOW I've seen a bunch or rifles with welded muzzle devices. Like AMD builds or 14.5 inch AR-15s. Would an FFL need to do it for me?

The barrel is already threaded. You just need to grind off a tiny spot weld in order to remove the thread sleeve.

skylovia
07-26-2010, 1:00 PM
Well, when I Google "draco pistol parts kit", all I get are results for complete pistols.

ke6guj
07-26-2010, 1:05 PM
Well, when I Google "draco pistol parts kit", all I get are results for complete pistols.

well, if you want to build an rifle, why are you searhing for pistol kits?

Besides, there aren't any Draco pistol parts kits. Draco takes parts kits and makes pistols from them. They don't demil Draco pistols to make parts kits. That would be taking an full-auto AK, demilling it, selling it as a parts kit. rebuilding it as a semi-auto pistol and then demilling that to sell as another parts kit.

Do a search for AK rifle parts kits and you should be able to find what you need.

C_1
07-26-2010, 1:17 PM
If you want a rifle, get a Saiga or parts kit, and build it. Doing it as you outlined, I think, is waste of time, and would ruin an already built pistol.

You could turn the Draco pistol into a rifle (but it can never be changed back). Pin and weld on a barrel attachment, muzzle brake, fake can, or some kind of extension to make the barrel 16" OAL. Then tap the rear trunnion for 2 screws to hold on a ACE/DPH/Tromix skeleton stock.

slomofo
07-26-2010, 3:32 PM
If you're looking for a short barrel parts kit with a fake can, you can always get a Krinkov or AMD-65 parts kit; they both have shorter barrels that you can permanently fix a fake can onto.

skylovia
07-26-2010, 4:08 PM
If you want a rifle, get a Saiga or parts kit, and build it. Doing it as you outlined, I think, is waste of time, and would ruin an already built pistol.

You could turn the Draco pistol into a rifle (but it can never be changed back). Pin and weld on a barrel attachment, muzzle brake, fake can, or some kind of extension to make the barrel 16" OAL. Then tap the rear trunnion for 2 screws to hold on a ACE/DPH/Tromix skeleton stock.

This is what I'm getting at. I want the LOOK of a Draco SBR, but legally configured for CA. If I can just put a long fake can onto it, an ACE skeleton stock and bullet button. I will just do that.

But is turning a pistol into a rifle LEGAL? Would i need to do anything like fill out some sort of form to do this?

Roccobro
07-26-2010, 4:45 PM
But is turning a pistol into a rifle LEGAL? Would i need to do anything like fill out some sort of form to do this?
Yes, and Nope. Remember, it can never be returned to a pistol on that receiver.

Justin