PDA

View Full Version : AR Comp/Brake

LloydXmas250
07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm interested in getting one, specifically the BCE Battle Comp. If I were to get one, I would feel much safer having a gunsmith remove my flash hider and install the brake. About how much should I expect to pay for such a service. Or is there anyone around the IE who can help me do this? Thanks.

mlatino
07-25-2010, 10:55 PM
http://millerrepairservice.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Crescent_wrench.150194221.jpg

Redlinegts
07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm interested in getting one, specifically the BCE Battle Comp. If I were to get one, I would feel much safer having a gunsmith remove my flash hider and install the brake. About how much should I expect to pay for such a service. Or is there anyone around the IE who can help me do this? Thanks.

It's really not all the hard to do. If you have a vice grip, I would just clamp the upper in it with a towel and use a 3/4" wrench. It isn't that hard to put them on.

bjl333
07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
:rofl2: :rofl:

http://millerrepairservice.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Crescent_wrench.150194221.jpg

:rofl2: :rofl:

professorhard
07-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Are u talking about permanently attached muzzle devices?

LloydXmas250
07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Are u talking about permanently attached muzzle devices?

No. I'm just new to ARs and everywhere I read said to have a gunsmith install it. I've seen videos too where someone did it themselves and it leaves and weird recoil to the gun. Like a roll. I guess I can try it myself but I'm not certain I will get it perfect.

fusionstar
07-25-2010, 11:59 PM
A wrench that will fit, one hand, one knee, and ONE eyeball. Thats all you need.

professorhard
07-26-2010, 12:00 AM
No. I'm just new to ARs and everywhere I read said to have a gunsmith install it. I've seen videos too where someone did it themselves and it leaves and weird recoil to the gun. Like a roll. I guess I can try it myself but I'm not certain I will get it perfect.

This post is confusing, but in all honestly if you can't put a muzzle brake on an AR you probably have bigger problems.

As others said put the covered upper in a vice and screw the brake on. Use a wrench to tighten it and make sure it's straight. Not sure who told u that a gunsmith should do it but if u seriously took it to a smith he may or may not laugh at you. Its pretty easy to do man...

LloydXmas250
07-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Alright. Wasn't trying to get abused here for not being very knowledgeable yet but I guess I learn this way. Nearly every brake manufacturer that I've looked into, including the BCE Battle Comp website, says to have a gunsmith to do it. I just took that literally. What I was talking about the weird recoil came from this thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4638497. You can watch his video, see the roll and then he mentions timing it wrong. That's the kind of stuff I don't get so I was curious about it. Just wasn't sure it was in my league but apparently it is.

roc
07-26-2010, 1:17 AM
im going to be swapping out my flash hider to a brake later this week when it gets here for a featureless build. my plan was to sit on the receiver while i wrench the sucker off.

LloydXmas250
07-26-2010, 6:55 AM
I must be looking too far into the issue. Still, does anyone know what went wrong with the brake in the video and how to avoid that?

nelsonstevenj
07-26-2010, 9:59 AM
What he's talking about with the recoil "roll" or whatever is the fact that since you're hold on the rifle isn't symetrical, the rife recoils up and to the side. Some people try to compensate for this by putting their comp on cocked to one side, not straight up and down. He overdid it. Just put the muzzle brake on straight, and you'll be good. And as for the recomendation for a gunsmith, that's just "don't sue us after you hurt yourself bubbaing your rifle" warnings, like "read the instruction manual before shooting the gun"

Papa Whiskey
07-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Call a gunsmith and ask him.

addiction
07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
FYI, I have the BCE Brake on my gun, and it is great, the BC guys came by a carbine class I was taking and hand delivered and installed mine, they also sold a few there, one of they guys had a pinned flash hider and the threads got screwed up when removing it. BC asked if if was pinned, the owner did not know, but in hind sight it was, the BC guys were totally stand up and bought and installed a new barrel for the guy.

It was not really their fault, but they owned the probelm and fixed it, I would buy again from them again any day....oh.....I guess I did because I bought a second brake on the spot for the wifes gun....I would never hear the end of that if I had one and she did not.

BC also brought their full auto M4 for demo purposed, man that was fun....

Variable2147
07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I must be looking too far into the issue. Still, does anyone know what went wrong with the brake in the video and how to avoid that?

I think that guy is shooting a .308. Technically, you could do the same thing with 5.56, but it'd be less noticable.

LloydXmas250
07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Addiction, how much louder is this brake than a flash hider? From what I've read, it's not too bad as far as brakes go.

addiction
07-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Addiction, how much louder is this brake than a flash hider? From what I've read, it's not too bad as far as brakes go.

I have a Phantom Muzzle Brake on my other AR, and it is more like my M1A for noise, the BC is pretty good, you can stand next to the end of the muzzle and feel the gases some, but the noise is not bad at all, not even close to the Phantom.

All round it is a great product.

Jim

LloydXmas250
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I want to get it bad. Just have to wait another few paychecks. Unless I get that new job. Man, it's killing me. I was surprised when I first got my AR about all the muzzle rise when shooting rapidly and then saw this product. Thanks for all the help on here about installing it too. Stupid question but I just wasn't too sure and wanted to check. Thanks again.

professorhard
07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
If you really want the best possible brake, you should get the KAC Triple Tap.

Deuce22
07-26-2010, 11:08 AM
The best brake out is the Surefire MB556K. Designed by Barry Dueck and Mike Voigt. They know a thing or two about 3 gunning and built the thing to keep the rifle on target during recoil. Great brake!

addiction
07-26-2010, 11:48 AM
If you really want the best possible brake, you should get the KAC Triple Tap.

some interesting comments from the BC guys, they agree the KAC TT is a great brake, but it is not a great all round brake in their opionion, the TT does manage rise and reduce recoil, but does not reduce flash as much.

The BC brake is a comprimise brake for sure, best analogy I can give is NASCAR is all about turning left, and they do that exceptionally well, ALMS is all about running a street track ( not going to use F1 but the BC is pretty close) in a street track you need to brake, accelerate, turn left and turn right, so you sacrafice some of each to get a good all round balance.

My Phantom is all about recoil and rise, but it does nothing for flash and noise,

you really should figure out what your requirements are, and buy based on that.

The BC does not really reduce the recoil that much, it does reduce rise, and flash really well, without adding a lot of noise.

Edit: three gun is a great example, in three gun flash and noise are non issues, so if that is your goal, optimize on recoil and rise.

LloydXmas250
07-26-2010, 7:29 PM
I'm looking for an all around good brake. Good in every aspect without breaking the bank and I feel like I can get that with the Battle Comp. Another question. Do you use loctite on the brake when installing?