PDA

View Full Version : Why Were Guns Removed in Dog Mauling Case?

chiselchst
07-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Regarding the recent fatal attack by pit bulls of a young child in Concord, I was curious as to why weapons were removed?

It's a very tragic event, no doubt. And I feel for the Family. But can someone explain why (unloaded) weapons were removed from his vehicle?

...Police removed a caged ferret, illegal in the state, from the house, as well as two unloaded shotguns from a vehicle outside. Police on Thursday were trying to determine who owned the guns...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_15577402

Cokebottle
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Potential charges probably include one or more felonies.
Guns go bye-bye until that issue is resolved. No felony charges (and no prohibiting misdemeanor charges) and they are returned.

NightOwl
07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
That sounds pretty crappy. Merely being charged, not convicted, is sufficient to strip 2A rights? Seriously?

Innocent till proven guilty really is dead, I guess. Pretty easy way to rob someone of their guns, just make baseless (yet difficult to defend against) accusations.

M198
07-25-2010, 12:54 PM
That sounds pretty crappy. Merely being charged, not convicted, is sufficient to strip 2A rights? Seriously?

Innocent till proven guilty really is dead, I guess. Pretty easy way to rob someone of their guns, just make baseless (yet difficult to defend against) accusations.

See restraining order horror stories to really get your blood boiling.

Ron-Solo
07-25-2010, 7:42 PM
There's not enough information to accurately determine, but I would suspect there's allegations of child endangerment. Improperly stored weapons (not saying these were) could be evidence in that allegation.

Once again, this is an educated guess. Just the possibility of felony charges would not be sufficient for seizure. They would have to have some involvement in the allegations.

Ron

dantodd
07-25-2010, 7:50 PM
There's not enough information to accurately determine, but I would suspect there's allegations of child endangerment. Improperly stored weapons (not saying these were) could be evidence in that allegation.

Once again, this is an educated guess. Just the possibility of felony charges would not be sufficient for seizure. They would have to have some involvement in the allegations.

Ron

It might also be possible that the advocate for any surviving children moved for an immediate TRO against the adult family members responsible and that would have meant the weapons had to go. Even then you'd think they'd give the people time to take care of the weapons themselves.

NightOwl
07-25-2010, 7:55 PM
I'm not a fan of the whole "improperly stored weapons" thing either. My father grew up around guns on a farm, and had his own .22 rifle before he was 10 (that he kept in his posession, and went shooting with when he wanted to, for the most part). I grew up with firearms in the house, which I understood and respected, and the mere presence of them was not a danger to myself or anybody else. Raise the kids to respect guns, and how they're stored is a non-issue. Plus, it allows the kids to be able to defend themselves with the firearms, should the need arise. Not that I'm saying a gun safe is a bad thing, merely that "improperly stored weapons" confiscation is.

M198. I try to avoid such readings. Keeps my blood pressure lower that way. It's too damned easy for someone to lose their ability to have guns. I'm really hoping that the McDonald ruling, and perhaps some strict scrutiny, will get these things changed.

SanPedroShooter
07-26-2010, 5:21 AM
I apologize in advance for going off topic here, but "...removed a caged ferret, illegal in the state..." ??? Why are ferrets illegal? Is it only CADGED ferrets? I knew people out of state that owned ferrets, they dont smell very good, but other than that... anyway sorry, i had to ask.
EDIT
I thought i'd answer my own question as punishment for wasting space.
Domestic ferrets have been restricted California since 1933.
From the DFG Ferret Fact Sheet 1994:
Ferrets may bite (or attack), and are especially prone to bite or scratch children and infants.
There is no proven vaccine against rabies in ferrets.
Ferrets may threaten native wildlife.

FLIGHT762
07-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I apologize in advance for going off topic here, but "...removed a caged ferret, illegal in the state..." ??? Why are ferrets illegal? Is it only CADGED ferrets? I knew people out of state that owned ferrets, they dont smell very good, but other than that... anyway sorry, i had to ask.
EDIT
I thought i'd answer my own question as punishment for wasting space.
Domestic ferrets have been restricted California since 1933.
From the DFG Ferret Fact Sheet 1994:
Ferrets may bite (or attack), and are especially prone to bite or scratch children and infants.
There is no proven vaccine against rabies in ferrets.
Ferrets may threaten native wildlife.

Ferrets?? How did you get on the topic of Ferrets in this thread??

:threadjacked:

destro360
07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Ferrets?? How did you get on the topic of Ferrets in this thread??

:threadjacked:

probably because it was part of the original article he posted.

gobler
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Just to end the off tracking of this thread. Yes, Ferrets are illegal in Ca due to our agriculture being a major factor for state incomes.

Back to the OP...