PDA

View Full Version : ROMY PSL PROBLEM - Gunsmith advise please

delfino
07-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, I went to Burros last week to try out my Romanian PSL (poor mans Draganov) for the first time. Loaded up 10 rounds. The first 3 went bang, although I noticed more than normal smoke on the 3rd round fired. The next 7 rounds failed to fire. Me and my buddy were like WTF. We noticed that the rounds that didn't go off had been struck but the firing pin. We took the 7 rounds of Yugo 7.62x54R, loaded them into my friend mosin nagat carbine and all went off fine. So then we decided to inspect the PSL. My friend helped me field strip the PSL down so that the bolt carrier was removed. Here's what we noticed on the firing pin:
http://www.duck998r.com/rifles/PSL10.jpg

I notified the company that sold me the rifle and they offered to replace the firing ping, postage paid. Now, should I:

1) Send the rifle to a gunsmith to check if there is anything else wrong with it

2) Send the rifle back to the company and request a refund

3) Send just the bolt back and have the company replace the firing pin.

3) Return the rifle to the company and have a replacement rifle sent back to me.

I really like this rifle for some reason but I'm a little concerned that something else could be wrong with it other than the firing pin. What should I do? Comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan in SD
07-23-2010, 12:52 AM
is head spacing good?

jumbopanda
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Personally I would just have them send me the firing pin and replace it myself. It's not hard at all. If you're not comfortable doing that I suppose you could send it back to them, but that would be going through a lot of trouble to fix a simple problem.

By the way, what kind of ammo are you using? PSLs should not fire heavy ball ammo, so only use stuff with a ~147 grain bullet.

delfino
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
is head spacing good?

That I couldn't tell you. I know very little about AK's . Is there an easy way to check?

Personally I would just have them send me the firing pin and replace it myself. It's not hard at all. If you're not comfortable doing that I suppose you could send it back to them, but that would be going through a lot of trouble to fix a simple problem.

By the way, what kind of ammo are you using? PSLs should not fire heavy ball ammo, so only use stuff with a ~147 grain bullet.

Not sure if its light or heavy ball. I will check with my friend on the ammo and post an update.

JagerTroop
07-23-2010, 1:45 AM
is head spacing good?

Sounds like a Century Special :(

bigthaiboy
07-23-2010, 2:38 AM
Did you inspect the #3 spent casing that caused all the smoke? The casing will give you all sorts of clues to where (or if) their was a failure point. I'm wondering whether your firing pin could have pierced the primer. Gases during ignition will find the point of least resistance to escape.

7.62x54R
07-23-2010, 4:24 AM
Also you should know PSL's shouldnt shoot heavy ball. 150GR max. Yugo is 182GR. They tend to like Czech light ball.

delfino
07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Also you should know PSL's shouldnt shoot heavy ball. 150GR max. Yugo is 182GR. They tend to like Czech light ball.

Yes, I'm suspecting that it may be heavy ball. But damage after only 3 rounds fired??

munkeeboi
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
As stated by 7.62x54r, Yugo Surplus is Heavy Ball. Check the rear trunnion, there may also be a round divet from the bolt/carrier hitting it.

damage could have been from 1 round. you're using a different round than specified. The previous owner of my PSL put 40 rds HB in my paratrooper, but there was no damage to the firing pin, just the rear trunnion and top cover.

I'd get the pin replaced and stick the gun on a diet of Light Ball ammo (Russian is available and cheap).

delfino
07-23-2010, 9:37 PM
Should I be worried about headspacing? I will definitely stick with light ball from now on. Hopefully that solves the problem.