PDA

View Full Version : upper assembly.

Kerplow
07-21-2010, 7:52 PM
so... initially i was planning on just paying Randall (ar15barrels) to assemble my upper for me but i've since decided to just go for it.

I've got a DPMS vice block and all the tools needed at my disposal.

I'm running a 20" SDM barrel from WOA with a Troy TRX extreme 13" handgaurd and JD machine low-pro gas block. its a rifle length gas system.

i do have a couple questions though:

Should anything be used on the barrel nut, such as loctite or anti-sleaze?

is the 3x tightening absolutely necessary? At work when i'm tightening aluminum threads i tend to put them through as little stress as possible to avoid any booger situations.

when i install the muzzle device does the crush washer allow ample compression for proper clocking? should i use anything on those threads???

the gas block seems pretty straight forward. line up dimple on barrel with set screw, tighten with loctite?

so here is the order of operations as i see it, let me know if im back asswards on anything.

install barrel and barrel nut (80 ft lbs)

install gas block and tube.

install FF tube/handgaurd

install muzzle device.

mount scope

attach to lower and rush to nearest shooting range for test firing and let the good times roll!

sorry if this offends anyone's noobdar. thanks for the help!

E-120
07-21-2010, 8:18 PM
Good luck. I am looking forward to doing this.

Kerplow
07-22-2010, 4:16 PM
Anyone? Maybe I should post in centerfire...

sarge1572
07-22-2010, 4:33 PM
Try this link. If it doesn't work right go to Brownells.com. They have several videos made by their gunsmiths on how to assemble an AR-15.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

Once there go to the bottom of the page, "INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS" and you can choose the section of the carbine you want to assemble.

Good luck
Jeff

oldyeller
07-22-2010, 4:35 PM
Torque the barrel nut to 30lbs, then index to next gas tube relief in nut- do not exceed 80 ft lbs on barrel nut. use lithium grease on threads. MD should index with a new crush washer.

Josh3239
07-22-2010, 4:43 PM
:iagree:, I never bothered putting anything on the barrel nut or the muzzle device though I have heard one is supposed to use anit-seize on the barrel nut. There is a certain amount of torque your supposed to put on the barrel nut, 30lbs sounds right but I am not sure. Don't overthink this, just get that thing tight and it will stay on and it has the gas tube going through the barrel nut into the upper so the barrel nut cannot freely spin.

ar15barrels
07-22-2010, 4:55 PM
Should anything be used on the barrel nut, such as loctite or anti-sleaze? I use black moly grease.
The threads are anodized so they are harder than raw aluminum and won't gall.

is the 3x tightening absolutely necessary? At work when i'm tightening aluminum threads i tend to put them through as little stress as possible to avoid any booger situations. Torque them 3 or more times to seat the threads.

when i install the muzzle device does the crush washer allow ample compression for proper clocking? Yes. should i use anything on those threads??? No.

the gas block seems pretty straight forward. line up dimple on barrel with set screw, tighten with loctite? Rocksett is rated for much higher temperatures, but will be easier to remove if needed.

install barrel and barrel nut (50 ft lbs)

Replys in bold.

Kerplow
07-22-2010, 6:38 PM
Awesome guys, thank you very much. I'll be sure to post pics when its done!