PDA

View Full Version : My Sage EBR Chassis just came in...

xfilterx
07-15-2010, 7:44 AM
Someone convince me that it'll be ok for me to install this on my own...:o

Not exactly an M1A expert...I just picked up an M1A Scout on a whim (a shop on AR15.com was selling them for $1350 shipped brand new). Taking the trigger group out and separating the upper receiver from the stock was a piece of cake but the instructions for the Sage Chassis are a bit intimidating. Drift, Gas Cylinder wrench, ball pin hammer...ugh, I don't even own these tools.

I guess my question is should I tackle this on my own or should I send this out to a qualified gunsmith. Any pointers in case I do want to take on the challenge?

tomd1584
07-15-2010, 7:46 AM
If it was me, i'd take it to a gunsmith. Even if it was easy, i'd be too afraid of damaging a good $$ investment! I for sure would screw it up, i just know it.

Tom

patriot_man
07-15-2010, 4:08 PM
H20 will probably chime in. He seems like our resident Sage EBR guy now. :p

Theriverjustknows
07-15-2010, 6:04 PM
How much can be saved by doing it yourself and how much money could you lose by screwing it up?

MT1
07-15-2010, 6:56 PM
If you were local I would do it for you just so I could fondle your SAGE stock :cool2:

Mohawk
07-15-2010, 6:58 PM
Sounds like your not confident in your own abilities.., In which case I would in fact take it to a gun smith,.,., your playin with a hell of a nice setup there.,. And if you attempt it yourself and flub it., youll (at least I would) never forgive yourself.,., If you dont even own the tools,.. dont attempt it in your living room., Just my 2.,.

That being said.,. Im a jerk and do most of my own work.,., Although having a gun smith as a close friend is a big leg up., If i ever find myself with something I dont know about.,., I can just make a phone call and have it done for free :D

Either way.., Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do whats best for the rifle.,., if you cant do it right., youll never be happy with it

edited to add.,., I envy you!.,., I want one of those in the worst way!!,., but a little too rich for my blood with the way the economy is right now an all

semiautosniper
07-15-2010, 7:03 PM
All you need is a rubberized hammer and a thin screw-driver with a plastic handle. The most challenging part of the installation is getting the op rod guide block to sit straight and line up with the holes on the aluminum chassis. Not hard to do it at all. Gentle hammering the metal end of the screwdrive, with its plastic handle touching the guide block, and gently knock it down the barrel. There is no need to replace the pin that lock your factory block guide in place with the barrel with the replacement block.

WeekendWarrior
07-15-2010, 7:21 PM
Look for a youtube video or some other video that walks you through the installation. If it's easy, do it, if not have the gunsmith do it.

swerv512
07-15-2010, 7:32 PM
If you have to ask, better to let someone else do it.....

damon1272
07-15-2010, 8:01 PM
PM me with your number and I'll give you a call. i live in Ramona. They are not hard to do but do take about an hour or so to take everything apart and get back together.

MuddvilleHustler
07-15-2010, 8:56 PM
Send it to me with a power of attorney letter and I will do it for you for FREE.

I am to generous, I know.

Requiem
07-15-2010, 10:14 PM
gotta ask.. where'd you buy the chassis from?

oakiepokie
07-16-2010, 3:00 AM
Is this the CA version? If not, make sure you put it together with a maglock and 10 rd mag.

H2O MAN
07-16-2010, 5:40 AM
Someone convince me that it'll be ok for me to install this on my own...:o

Not exactly an M1A expert...I just picked up an M1A Scout on a whim (a shop on AR15.com was selling them for $1350 shipped brand new). Taking the trigger group out and separating the upper receiver from the stock was a piece of cake but the instructions for the Sage Chassis are a bit intimidating. Drift, Gas Cylinder wrench, ball pin hammer...ugh, I don't even own these tools.

I guess my question is should I tackle this on my own or should I send this out to a qualified gunsmith. Any pointers in case I do want to take on the challenge?

I felt the same way when I purchased my first EBR in 2004 and had the guys at Clyde Armory install my Scout.

It's easy once you get swap op rod guides.
Remember to remove the pin on the original guide before you try to remove the guide!
You do not need to use a pin with the SAGE op rod guide block, the three screws will hold it in place.

Good luck :)